Rookie mistake on a SDS100...

Status
Not open for further replies.

himages

I admit it....im a rookie at my newest rig.....the SDS100. At first, I read the manual and started to slowly do as mentioned on the manual. however the technology of this radio is super advanced that I want to start over, where the manual first steps.....BUT, the radio wont let me go back to square 1.....Now I turn it on, the image is on the scanner settings....I want to go back and correctly imput my data.....is there a procedure to do this? (when you turn on---boot up--- the radio and you have to adjust time zone, date, etc....).

himages

I found my error.....I will watch youtube vids. that side button is the KEY! I know why some retailers give new owners 30 days return policy...its gonna take the owner THAT LONG to memorize everything! But I admit, its a long way from dealing with crystals and programmables.

himages

Connect to Sentinel using a USB cable and select to do Scanner/ Clear User Data.

/Ubbe
Ok....I will try THAT also! does that USB cable that came with the ac power box also "moonlights" as an adapter to hook up to the computer so I can utilize Sentinel also?? but yeah....I saw a vid on youtube about that side "menu" button and Im trying (being a rookie on this). thanks UBBE!

himages

I just checked the ports of the scanner....the power cable has a different style male for the female port.....but the other female port above the ac charge one IS a "micro" male and that fits the female side. I also monkeyed around with the side button and selector dial and did find 2 choices if I wanted to CUD the scanner or that other selection, I will double check before selecting. I think I have to register the scanner first on Uniden website and then upload to provoice. Im hoping the scanner (since I bought it brand new) has the upgraded files so I dont need to do anymore transferring. Btw....Unless some retailers do give incentives (extra cord, better antenna, etc)....I have all accessories.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I just checked the ports of the scanner....the power cable has a different style male for the female port.....but the other female port above the ac charge one IS a "micro" male and that fits the female side. I also monkeyed around with the side button and selector dial and did find 2 choices if I wanted to CUD the scanner or that other selection, I will double check before selecting. I think I have to register the scanner first on Uniden website and then upload to provoice. Im hoping the scanner (since I bought it brand new) has the upgraded files so I dont need to do anymore transferring. Btw....Unless some retailers do give incentives (extra cord, better antenna, etc)....I have all accessories.
The "micro" port (the one above the main port) can be used to power the scanner. But, using that port for power, you cannot use it to charge the battery. Also, it cannot be used for programming. You must use the lower, mini-USB, port for programming and/or charging the battery. The cable that came with the scanner is a mini-USB. If you want a longer cable, an extra one, or a cable that has a right-angle connector, there are a number of choices on Amazon & elsewhere. You use the same cable for powering the scanner or charging the battery, for downloading the database and Favorites lists from Sentinel, and also for connecting the scanner to your PC for virtual control and logging. You must be in Mass Storage mode for database and Favorites lists actions, and in Serial mode for logging and control.

You can find the Serial port driver that you need on Uniden's website, on several different pages. Here's one, that also has installation instructions. (The page is for the 325P2, but the same serial driver is used for the P2 series scanners, the x36HP scanners, as well as both of the SDS scanners, including your SDS100.)

If you want to purchase one or more of the paid upgrades (ProVoice, DMR, and/or NXDN), you do first need to register the scanner on My Uniden. If you do not have an account, you can create one.

If you just received the scanner, the database on the card when the scanner arrived is likely out of date, often a number of months behind. Install Sentinel on your PC (if you have not already done so) and update the main database. You should also use Sentinel to write the updated data to the scanner, which can be done separately, or while also downloading one or more Favorites to the scanner.

When your scanner is shipped, or you install Sentinel for the first time, the only public safety service types that are enabled are the ones labeled as Dispatch (Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-Dispatch). Also enable the Tac and Talk types for those (Law Talk, Fire Tac, etc).

As you may already know, there is an Easier to Read manual that includes your scanner. There is also a similar manual for Sentinel.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
I bought a 5-pack of mini USB charging cables off of Amazon. So far, two of them result in a "LOW USB VOLTAGE" message. The factory cable works fine with the same usb power source.

Can anyone recommend a known good data/charging cable that I can get from Amazon, preferably Prime?

Thanks in advance.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I bought a 5-pack of mini USB charging cables off of Amazon. So far, two of them result in a "LOW USB VOLTAGE" message. The factory cable works fine with the same usb power source.

Can anyone recommend a known good data/charging cable that I can get from Amazon, preferably Prime?

Thanks in advance.

The 100 uses a bit of power - and needs a 'heavier duty' cord.
Look for 24AWG in the description....
Amazon.com

Also.... remember if you get the low voltage message, it resets the set charge while on to off. You have to go in and change it back any time this message pops up

Last edited:

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
The 100 uses a bit of power - and needs a 'heavier duty' cord.
Look for 24AWG in the description....
Amazon.com

Also.... remember if you get the low voltage message, it resets the set charge while on to off. You have to go in and change it back any time this message pops up

So THAT'S why that keeps turning off. That was driving me bonkers.

Thank you for the information. I've ordered a couple of the cables you suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.