Rookie Scanner and Rookie Volunteer Firefighter looking for help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianJGibbs

Hi, my name is William and I just became a volunteer firefighter and I was looking to buy a scanner but when I started looking I realized I had no idea what I needed or wanted and in searching I found this place.

I would be very grateful for any advice one what I need and what I should get.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RR William,

Well, it will depend on what you want to hear. To hear everything in your area, you'll need a digital scanner... The most current models out right now include the
Uniden
396xt Or base model 996xt
Homepatrol1

GRECOM's
PSR-500 Or base model 600
PSR-800

Radio Shack
PRO-106 or the base PRO-197

Pricewise the 106/197 is the cheapest, followed by PSR500/600 then the PSR-800
Feature-wise the HomePatrol and PSR-800 are the leaders (They are also the easiest to use/program for newbies)

You can read through the features of each here: Digital Scanners to see which suits your needs the best.

Also, look through http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2324 You would be able to hear the Central, and South regions(Plus the Statewides and boardering counties)

Last edited:

W6KRU

Coles county appears to be conventional and you can use almost any scanner if you only want to listen to Coles and/or Charleston police and fire. The state wide system will require a digital scanner which will cost more. Do you have any desire to listen to the state patrol for instance?

Last edited:

BrianJGibbs

What I would like is to listen to CECOM dispatch mostly Charleston Fire and Lincoln Fire Protection District where I volunteer and if its even possible I was hoping maybe for a sleep mode or something like that so at night it will only go off when I get tone out kinda like how the Motorola monitor if that's even possible like I said.

BrianJGibbs

What I want is to be able to listen to Charleston Fire and Lincoln Fire Protection District (where I volunteer) and if it even is possible I would like a sleep mode or something like that so at night it only will turn on when the tones sound like I aid if that's even possible.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I would like a sleep mode or something like that so at night it only will turn on when the tones sound like I aid if that's even possible.

Sorry for missing your previous replies.

That is available on the Uniden BC396T, BC996T, BR330T, BC15T, BC346XT, BCD396XT, BC996XT and BCT15X But sadly, not the 72xlt

The manual can be found here if you want to flip through it before your new toy arrives.
http://www.usascan.com/pdf/bc72XLTom.pdf

Programming it is quite easy, the directions are on page 33 of the manual.

Depending on how close you are to the towers you may want to upgrade antennas, but give it a few days to see how it operates with the stock antenna.... Why spend money if you dont need to :)

Anything listed here: Coles County, Illinois (IL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference can be programmed as long as it isn't listed "Telm" or "P25" You also won't be able to listen to the trunked systems at the bottom of the page.

If you have any specific questions, ask away:)

BrianJGibbs

Sorry for missing your previous replies.

That is available on the Uniden BC396T, BC996T, BR330T, BC15T, BC346XT, BCD396XT, BC996XT and BCT15X But sadly, not the 72xlt

The manual can be found here if you want to flip through it before your new toy arrives.
http://www.usascan.com/pdf/bc72XLTom.pdf

Programming it is quite easy, the directions are on page 33 of the manual.

Depending on how close you are to the towers you may want to upgrade antennas, but give it a few days to see how it operates with the stock antenna.... Why spend money if you dont need to :)

Yeah I didn't think the 72xlt would do that (its is a base model after all) but like I said I got a REALLY good deal so I'm very happy with my new toy, now the the hard part waiting till Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.