rookie wondering about morse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Showtimecc

Ok so I am a rookie but I just can't find the anwser...
when I listen to madison trunked system I don't hear this but whenever I listen to Dane co main channel I hear morse code before a message I know the fire tones for the diferent areas and this is not a paging signal but Morse code wis I knew it any answers on what this is ( my thought is signal to the officers pc unit)

cpd38

Premium Subscriber
Ok so I am a rookie but I just can't find the anwser...
when I listen to madison trunked system I don't hear this but whenever I listen to Dane co main channel I hear morse code before a message I know the fire tones for the diferent areas and this is not a paging signal but Morse code wis I knew it any answers on what this is ( my thought is signal to the officers pc unit)

I was always told it was the call sign identifer in morse code. You would hear it on Dane CO, UW's UHF channels, Capitol's old UHF channels,etc.

I was told that that the call sign was supposed to be given out over the air a certain amount of times during a day and by having it sent out automatically over morse code. For what it's worth, you do actually hear it on squad radios.

HowD

If you want to be 100% sure it's CW ("Morse") you are hearing, please post it here so we can listen.

Last edited:

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Normally on a Motorola commercial grade base station/repeater....

If it's programmed to use the morse code ID'er , it will ID without transmit PL. If mobile radios and portable radios are properly setup for PL decode, then you shouldn't hear it. If a radio is in monitor , then you will hear it.

Most all commercial stations will ID without PL, now how it reacts if you key up during a ID going out is a different story. MTR2000 and Quantar stations will stop the ID, and wait for the channel to become idle again before resending the morse code. MSF5000's dont care and will continue the ID and start encoding PL so the users call can be placed. Thus, you'd hear a officer key up and start talking with the morse code ID going out.

If a external device is used that will be generating the morse code, then all bets are off and it's up to the external device. Voting equipment do not generate morse code ID.

Other manufactures like GE/MA Com/Tyco/Ericsson/Fisher price, Kenwood, Vertex etc and usually also support morse code ID. How they handle it, I can't tell you.

Matt N3IVK

Status
Not open for further replies.