• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

roommate's CB interferes with my TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Daewood flat screen TV that I bought in 2004. It's not an LCD or an LED or a plasma TV. It's an older type of TV with a flat instead of a curved screen. I'm using it with DirectTV satellite TV. When my roommate talks on his CB, it interferes with the audio of my TV. It does not affect the video. It was doing so when he was using a very old CB from 1978. He's upgraded to a recent model and now it interferes much, much worse. I can hear and understand every word he says. I cannot hear the replies of the person he's talking to.

I do not have the specs of what CB he's using, but I can get them if they're needed. I do know he has a huge antenna on the roof and audio interference happened both with his vintage and his new CB.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can stop the interference, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

AC9BX

This can always be troublesome.
It is unusual to have interference in the audio but not the video. Are you listening through a stereo or theater system? If so and you don't hear it through the TV speakers the interference is likely there and not with the DirecTV or the TV set. Are you using line-in connections to the TV? In this case it's possible to have interference with audio and not video. Are you using a RF connection (channel 3 antenna input)? If so you should definitely be getting interference in both audio and video. In fact with mild interference it often bothers the video and not the audio because the TV picture is in AM, sound is in FM, CB is AM. The AM signals tend to mix easier while the FM section of the TV tends to ignore AM.
Older CBs were often more well made than newer ones (like nearly everything else). They often had better filtering. A radio can easily transmit signals it isn't supposed to if that isn't addressed (cheap radio). It's also possible the old radio has less power, due to age. Or perhaps the new one has been modified and makes much more power than it should. It could also be someone has "tweaked" the radio which is a common cause of trouble. When incorrectly adjusted the radio can make all sorts of signals it isn't supposed to.
What can be done? Well if he is indeed operating above the legal power limit you can get the law involved. Beyond that you have to determine exactly where this interference is occurring, inside the DirecTV box, into your connecting cables, inside the TV, into the stereo system, etc. You check this by swapping things around. Example, if you are listening through a stereo system, use the same cables and connect something else, a CD player, is the interference still there? If you are able to locate where the trouble is you can try using better connecting cables and/or applying snap-on chokes around them. These chokes are available at stores like Radio Shack. They clip around wires and are used to "choke" unwanted signals.
Make sure the CB antenna is properly tuned. Using good quality cable and having a properly tuned antenna (minimum SWR) helps alleviate this issue. With poor cable and/or poor tuning a lot of the signal can be "wasted" along the length of the cable, radiating from everywhere including inside the home instead of just from the antenna. Have a good ground. The CB set should have a good connection to Earth ground which insures the antenna system works as it should with the signal staying inside the cable. This is important for the best operation of the CB set too so it's in the roommate's best interest. Having a good ground at your TV can also be helpful.

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have a Daewood flat screen TV that I bought in 2004. It's not an LCD or an LED or a plasma TV. It's an older type of TV with a flat instead of a curved screen. I'm using it with DirectTV satellite TV. When my roommate talks on his CB, it interferes with the audio of my TV. It does not affect the video. It was doing so when he was using a very old CB from 1978. He's upgraded to a recent model and now it interferes much, much worse. I can hear and understand every word he says. I cannot hear the replies of the person he's talking to.

I do not have the specs of what CB he's using, but I can get them if they're needed. I do know he has a huge antenna on the roof and audio interference happened both with his vintage and his new CB.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can stop the interference, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Ok, here's what ya do...open the window and repeat after me...my roommate or the cb? I'm confident you'll come to the right solution! :lol:

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.