Roselle Park Pd Not Dispatching All Of Their Calls!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

It seems that Roselle Park, NJ is NOT using their one and only radio frequency (158.835) to dispatch ALL of their police calls anymore. I know this for a fact because there was a minor car accident in front of my apartment in Roselle Park, NJ this past week. As soon as I heard the crash, I immediatly turned my scanner on to listen to the call get dispatched. Well, nothing was heard on their frequency for at least 3 entire minutes, but a police car did arrive at the scene anyway. I DID hear them contact headquarters that they have arrived though. This isn't the first time I've noticed this either. I was just wondering if it's LEGAL for them to contact the officers via cell phone or another non-radio method to dispatch calls?? I'm just confused because I thought they needed to record all radio dispatched communications just in case it needs to be reviewed in the future. Any feedback??

KR4BD

A lot of calls are now dispatched via the VDTs (Video Data Terminals) in the police cars. Some agencies have been doing this for years.

If your police have computers in their cars, this is probably what is going on.

dun34

Of course it's legal. Any dispatch has their telephones recorded as well. Even then, not everything can be recorded. Suppose the officer is standing in the dispatch room and the dispatcher tells him directly. Anything sent via a MDT is generally logged in some fashion as well.

I doubt the dispatcher went out of their way to dispatch an officer to that incident by phone. They were probably already on the phone for another matter or they were in HQ.

gcr33

I wonder why you would even think about it being legal?
Could have dispatched it when the officer was in the station to him directly and he went from the station to the call.

daveMICU

Sorry to state the obvious....

...but maybe the officer was in headquarters when the call came in and no radio communication/dispatch was necessary.

jaymatt1978

There's no "legal" or "illegal" way to dispatch a call. If they want to use a cellphone, they can do it. If they what to use encryption, they can. If they want to go out to the car and whisper in the guy's ear, it's ALL legal

Analogrules

Thanks for the feedback guys. The only reason why I wasn't sure if it was legal or not is because I KNOW that there are times when a case is brought to court and they need to release the actual radio transmissions that occured between the units. Another example was the major building fire in Manhattan last year that cost the lives of firemen. I saw on the news how they reviewed the the radio comms between the dispatch and the units and realized how much mis-communication was occuring in the process. I figured they NEED to have a recorded record of all radio comms for each call, just in case it needs to be reviewed for some reason in the future in addition to the actual police reports that can be easily modified. Just thinking out loud here.

nnjradiotech

Premium Subscriber
There's no "legal" or "illegal" way to dispatch a call. If they want to use a cellphone, they can do it. If they what to use encryption, they can. If they want to go out to the car and whisper in the guy's ear, it's ALL legal

You forgot about the ol' string with two campbell's soup cans. That has long been my personal favorite...I wish I was 7 again!

TonyS

It is possible that you missed the dispatch, too. The people in the mva might've called on their cell and HQ dispatched immediately. Or, as others have wrote, the unit pro'lly got it via mobile computer. Many dispatches get sent that way.

elk2370bruce

Not just radio calls get installed on tape. Telephone conversations (both sides) are similarly done so and MDT's are as well. If you longer can monitor their transmissions, can we deduct that loss from our tax dollars as a reduction in entertainment? Hell, we've gotta draw the line somewhere. Legal yes: less than convenient for us? Nope

Tech792

All MDT transmission are logged by car # and/or modem ID/ESN and can be recalled at any time. Provided you have the proper security clearance. (At least in my town)

Analogrules

No, RP still dispatches on their one and only, 158.835. I know they have had a bid out for several frequencies in the 500 MHz band that appear to either be a TRUNKED or EDACS system, however it doesn't look like they're going to be issued them (thank God). Perhaps the FCC was actually smart enough to realize that a town that is only 2 miles in radius, doesn't need a complicated radio system. Also, yes, they do all have computers in their police cars and they normally send the data about any license plates they run over "the tube" rather than via radio. Last night was actually very busy for Roselle Park....around 11pm there was a big car accident (one female driver, who must have fallen asleep at the wheel). Minutes later, Roselle asked them for assitance in a huge gang related fist fight outside the bowling alley on Chestnut Street. I was listening in shock, asking myself, is this REALLY only Wednesday night?? If this is any indication of what Labor DAy weekend monitoring will be like, it should be exciting (as long as i'm not part of it).

radiomanNJ1

I missed something. RP has a request pending for some UHF T band channels and it will be trunked or an ECRAP system? How do you know it will be trunked unless you saw the license application? Why do you assume they will go with TYCO Toys International as a vendor? There are other vendors who make products that work well out there. Just because one town has a particular brand does not mean that an adjacent agency has to use the same.

No, RP still dispatches on their one and only, 158.835. I know they have had a bid out for several frequencies in the 500 MHz band that appear to either be a TRUNKED or EDACS system, however it doesn't look like they're going to be issued them (thank God). Perhaps the FCC was actually smart enough to realize that a town that is only 2 miles in radius, doesn't need a complicated radio system. Also, yes, they do all have computers in their police cars and they normally send the data about any license plates they run over "the tube" rather than via radio. Last night was actually very busy for Roselle Park....around 11pm there was a big car accident (one female driver, who must have fallen asleep at the wheel). Minutes later, Roselle asked them for assitance in a huge gang related fist fight outside the bowling alley on Chestnut Street. I was listening in shock, asking myself, is this REALLY only Wednesday night?? If this is any indication of what Labor DAy weekend monitoring will be like, it should be exciting (as long as i'm not part of it).

Analogrules

RadiomanNJ, Yes, you did miss something! There was a posting on this forum a couple years ago regarding the possible TRUNKED system radio license Roselle Park applied for. They were planning to upgrade to a 500 MHz TRUNKED system, however the FCC has officially dismissed their license application. Also, yes, I know this because I saw their actual license application on the official FCC website. I copied and pasted it here, so you can see it for yourself.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/applMain.jsp?applID=3783332

Also, what in the world are you talking about regarding TYCO Toys International?? I never mentioned anything about that in my postings.

Boss

Roselle Park

Check file number 0002864573. Check the date of application . Different file number (Pending)

Status
Not open for further replies.