Roseville Police (CA) and use of VTAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

matteod

I keep hearing officers switching to "VTAC" for one thing or another on the Roseville Police, California system. Can anyone confirm what VTAC channel they are using? I'm hearing something on VTAC-17 but it is so garbled I cannot understand what they are saying.

ecps92

Many of these are Simplex, so you need to be close-by, unless they go to one of the Repeater
I keep hearing officers switching to "VTAC" for one thing or another on the Roseville Police, California system. Can anyone confirm what VTAC channel they are using? I'm hearing something on VTAC-17 but it is so garbled I cannot understand what they are saying.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Is Roseville PD using multiband radios? I would imagine they are being that everyone surrounding them in Placer County is on VHF so my guess (only a guess) would be the VTAC-17 traffic you are hearing.

Can you tell if it's two Roseville PD officers switching to VTAC or perhaps a Roseville PD and an outside agency's officer? I ask this because it's possible outside agencies may not have access to Roseville PD's 800 MHz tac channels so they use the VTAC's

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Technically, VTAC17 can only be used in certain counties according to NIFOG, and Placer is not one of them.

matteod

Is Roseville PD using multiband radios? I would imagine they are being that everyone surrounding them in Placer County is on VHF so my guess (only a guess) would be the VTAC-17 traffic you are hearing.

Can you tell if it's two Roseville PD officers switching to VTAC or perhaps a Roseville PD and an outside agency's officer? I ask this because it's possible outside agencies may not have access to Roseville PD's 800 MHz tac channels so they use the VTAC's
Pretty much the whole county has multi-band radios now, portable and mobile, using the Motorola APX series radios, VHF/700/800.

Could you possibly be hearing them say "E-TAC" or "C-TAC"?
That could be possible. I'll have to look up those frequencies and add them into my radio.

That could be possible. I'll have to look up those frequencies and add them into my radio.
I just heard it again, and they did say "E-TAC". Apparently, it is encrypted for confidential information from the CLETS and NCIC systems. There are new state regulations about broadcasting names of people over the air.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I just heard it again, and they did say "E-TAC". Apparently, it is encrypted for confidential information from the CLETS and NCIC systems. There are new state regulations about broadcasting names of people over the air.
And an "E-TAC" is a great way to handle this information. Good to see Roseville PD doing it righ.

matteod

I figured it out myself. It's ETAC, not VTAC. Apparently, it is encrypted for confidential information from the CLETS and NCIC systems. There are new state regulations about broadcasting names of people over the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.