Ross County, OH: Emergency Communications Disrupted Following Metal Theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
No security cameras or site alarms?

This is a very rural county and the site in question has probably been in use for decades. No money for such things in the budget, much less available broadband connections. There might be a telephone line, but I wouldn't bet on it.

quarterwave

It's a cell site, one of the S/O's 5 UHF voted simulcast repeaters is there. No Fire, it's on another site. The site was built around 2000 for Sprint. There's connectivity, but not enough budget, the SO can't afford to add the cost of alarms and camera's, especially on a site they don't own.

I am involved with a multi-use site in the area, and it takes so long to get to it....alarms don't matter and they will probably just steal the cameras. Our building has never been breached, but the thieves have managed to steal ground cables from the guy points many times.

Cameras are a good thing, but not a complete solution. Door alarms greatly help. I have my own connectivity, cameras and door alarms on my site down here, but even so, its still not fool proof... The area that tower is located is extremely remote. A lot of 4 wheeler trails and logging roads up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.