Round antennas atop NMSP Cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
This may have been asked before, but are the round antennas on the roofs of New Mexico State Police cars used for satellite mobile computer systems/data terminals?

Mark

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Erik. It certainly makes sense for them to use this system instead of purchasing a 100 million + dollar statewide TRS that wouldn't give them near the coverage or reliability. I applaud NMSP for their forward thinking.

Mark

SCPD

QRT
They mainly use the sat comm for silent runs, or sensitive info over the air. such as social security numbers, details on calls requiring secure comm, accidents pertaining to ones privacy or anything needing to be secured. how ever main traffic is used on the duplex primary of 155.7900 as the dispatch out and units in on 155.7300 if you have a modern digital/analog authorized 2way this can be setup to monitor it and you will have clear solid traffic conversations for nmsp ch 1. allot of units use 155.5500 (state car) or some dispatch areas use this around roswell to ruidoso etc. motor transportation (DOT) uses nmsp channels now along with the sat comm and youll hear for example "Alamogordo Mary 194" Alamogordo (or whichever city is calling place there) meaning the dispatch office calling, The DOT silver cars Motor unit M-ary and the officers car number. I know they still use there old setup in DOT units using there 4 unit plate number, but when on nmsp which they mainly use they use a 3 digit number, idk why or what the full setup is. Also the satellite is used for laptops, which most of the dispatch calls out are sent to the computer then it beeps notifying the unit being sent and the officer can read the screen, or use the audio aloud feature where it reads what the dispatch has sent to keep eyes on road while driving. a click of the ack key sends notification to the nmsp dispatcher telling them 10-4 enroute or theyll use the vhf and say there enroute.

I know the units use a repeater system within the trunk for the officers portable and mobile. Now what freq relays it to the officer Idk. It seems they keep it hush or wont say. But I know they had a NMSP officer here and he couldnt get out on his portable on NMSP ch1 with his unit too far away. so he went to state car and got ahold of dispatch that way.

I know the newer XTS and XTL portables monitor the duplex of them without any issue other then just simple programming. But the ht series theyd use the repeater access function with the code for it in programming. As far as I know only the NMSP communications knew it and wouldnt even tell local police depts. We always have just used state car to access there dispatch or units. But a new XTS digi capable mobile we got can access the nmsp ch 1 primary and the comm guy here said it is easier then the old radios and dont need anything extra done other then programming the freq in. auto detecting i guess.

If you use a hand held 2 way (for ham users or vol fire) a good moto or kenwood antenna at least a 8 to 9inch thats out will pick up mostly. If you got a mobile radio a good antenna mounted onthe trunk or roof you should hear them no problem. But they do still use the vhf system allot because i have it programmed into my HT and can hear them on scan with scanning the in and out channel. im not sure how to change it for the duplex (any help anybody) as it was a old dept radio given to use for home and has input on ch 16 and out on 15 on the portable.

Idk if this helps any.

Status
Not open for further replies.