• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Routing coax behind 2014 or 2015 Tahoe side curtain air bags

Status
Not open for further replies.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Anyone ever done it?

I appreciate that the headliner needs to come out. I also assume that taking the headliner out and putting it back in is something that I definitely want a dealer to do, yes?

When I did my 2003 Tahoe, the dealer pulled the headliner; I drove the Tahoe into their lot, installed my NMO mounts, ran the coax down the B pillars, and drove it back inside; and they put the headliner back in.

I'm willing to try to get a dealer to do that again. If I'm able to, will I be able to route 7 runs of RG-58 (3 one side, 4 other side) behind the side curtain airbags (i.e., between the body of the car and the back of the air bag equipment)? Where do upfitters of police Tahoes route the coax?

Any other thoughts I need to know?

Thanks!

...R

canav844

Take a look through this, special attention page 7:
http://www.gmupfitter.com/pdf/body.pdf

This has the airbag locations and information for the Police/Fleet models, and mayor may not apply:
http://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/457/2014_Police_Technical_Guide_FINAL.pdf

Lots of good info here: GM UPFITTER - Home More than you'd ever need for a radio install, but it can be interesting to learn about.

This general GM document is pretty vague on routing instruction.
http://www.k0bg.com/images/pdf/GM.pdf

And I may have another manual downloaded, but no link for it with most of the same information about the airbag as the 2nd GM upfitter link, but perhaps a little more detail on the overall system. Take lots of photos of the install process while you're at it, I'm expecting an 08 Tahoe SSV to be delivered next week and will need to do this myself.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I'd already read some of the stuff at that site, but it's all pretty vague. "Avoid the side curtain air bags" is about as helpful as GM will be. Maybe a visit to the dealer and some begging is going to have to be in order.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Ran many coax cables along side curtain air bags in Ford F series trucks at work, and I would imagine it would be the same. We just make sure that the coax is behind the pressure container in case of deployment. Not that I think it would matter much since the whole area expands when deployed.
As far as the dealer, he may not want to do anything do to liability.

Tech792

I have yet to remove a headliner for standard antenna installations over the past 20+ years. There is ways around that.
When handling the top side of the Tahoe headliner, wear gloves. You'll thank me later. Don't know if the 2014 or 2015 headliners are made from the same material but the past few years (2012, 2013), top side was loaded with some type of fiber or fiberglass splinters. Not fun trying to remove them from your fingers and hands when you can't see them. Didn't have this issue with the Ford trucks. Just the GMs. Ford headliners are a breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.