• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Routing coax down B-pillar

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK6JYX

I have an '04 dodge ram quad cab and I just drilled and installed my Larsen NMO 2/70B now I'm stuck as far as routing the coax down my B-pillar on the drivers side. There's a side curtain airbag that goes from the front of the drivers window to the back of the rear window. I've tried googling for locations of the side airbag so I have an idea of where I need to route it but I can't find anything that shows me what I'm looking for other than a deployed bag from a distance:

http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/pix/airbag2.jpg

I'm tempted to just go fishing with a coat hangar and hope for the best but I don't want the coax getting in the way of anything.

I COULD drop the headliner, and trim pieces, etc. but I'd rather not. That's more work than I really want to deal with. BUT if I get frustrated enough, I just might!

Thanks!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's tough, and harder to do if you don't drop the headliner, at least part way. I had a similar issue with my 2009 Ford Escape, and again with a 2011 Ford F150. Routing the coaxial cable around the air bag units is possible, but you need to be abel to visualize everything. Either removing trim or removing headliner is going to make it easier. Getting the coax routed above/behind the air bags and well out of it's way is easily done. Just keep the coax up high against the body sheet metal. I used "gaffers" tape (think duck tape on steroids) to hold the coaxial cable in place.

Routing the cable without the connector on makes things easier.

SCPD

QRT
Where did you drill the hole? I have a 2006 Dodge Ram quad cab and have one hole drilled where the interior cab light is and the other hole is near the third brake light. I have both coax cables routed back to the C pillar and down inside the trim to both radios located under the rear bench seat. It was a simple install just using an old antenna whip, black electrical tape to tie/secure the coax end to the whip, and carefully fishing it between the headliner and roof.

Your quad cab rear door has a rubber gasket around the door opening, and with a little tugging and pulling, that can be carefully removed to allow the coax to be fished to the edge of the door and then down inside the C pillar trim panel. The door sill trim can be easily lifted to route the coax under and to the location of your radio. I would suggest buying a trim removal/lift tool that stereo shops use to lift trim as not to damage the plastic in any way. I bought mine at one of the big name automotive stores and it wasn't expensive.

KK6JYX

I drilled the hole just aft (~1") of the dome light to clear the roof cross-brace. I am planning on mounting the radio under the drivers seat which is why I'm wanting to go down the B pillar.

KK6JYX

Ok, I just got back in from fishing... for coax. It took 2 casts and I got her hooked! It's neatly routed up and over the airbag down the B pillar and coming out at the bottom next to my seat. Wasn't all that hard. Now on to power, then getting my hands on a head unit extension cable. I don't need the whole kit. And finally the hardest part, deciding where I want to mount the head unit. Thanks to all!

com501

If you WANT the airbags to work, and not void your insurance if they go off, you should plan on CAREFULLY dropping the headliner and verifying the location of the side, column, curtain, and seat airbags if you are so equipped. Remember that some newer SUVs have curtain airbags on the sides.

Do some research on them to see how they deploy. You MUST remove the trim so you can route behind them and the harnesses so you don't interfere with them and a)cause them to fail, or b)cause them to rip something out that you don't WANT out and kill someone with it (like a seatbelt retractor).

Crap happens awfully fast in an impact, and there is a tremendous amount of energy involved.

Take your time, do it right, or hire it done.

com501

Ok, I just got back in from fishing... for coax. It took 2 casts and I got her hooked! It's neatly routed up and over the airbag down the B pillar and coming out at the bottom next to my seat. Wasn't all that hard. Now on to power, then getting my hands on a head unit extension cable. I don't need the whole kit. And finally the hardest part, deciding where I want to mount the head unit. Thanks to all!

Did you SECURE the coax inside the B pillar to the existing harness or to the outside skin or is it just loose and flapping around in there where it will a)rattle, or b)get caught on a moving part??

KK6JYX

I sure did. As a former avionics technician, my anal wiring habits and low tolerance for anything that moves that isn't supposed to has carried over into my civilian life LOL.

KK6JYX

Wow I haven't lace tied in quite some time. And yes it definitely is a lost art. My last unit they made us use zip ties.

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
I watched a bunch of At&t,/ Lucent techs use "10 cord" or waxed string.... they were sewing cables and wires like they were in it for the money.... never seen such tight work...nothing moved.!! nicer than zip ties... although all of my installs I use zip ties... I'll have to learn how to sew!

Status
Not open for further replies.