• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

routing magnetic roof top antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
They permanently damage the paint on the vehicle no matter how "temporary."

Toyota Corolla, Larsen magnetic mount since 2007 (I replaced the magnetic mount once I think but am not sure). 400,000 miles and no damage to the paint. When I take it off to wash the car and want to put it back on, I cannot tell where it was. I would not try similar with one where metal on the mount could contact the paint.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I'm glad that you guys like your magnet mounts and claim that no paint damage is done, but your cases are very rare. My Grandfather owned a body shop, so I witnessed a lot of damage, including that from magnet mounted devices. The base of the magnet mount can have the most high-tech, slick bottom, but when road grim and dirt get between your antenna and the paint, it will scratch. So, have fun with that. It's not my car and not my problem. It's just an observation from someone who installs NMO mount antennas for a living and has first-hand knowledge of the damage incurred by magnet mount devices.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
My experience of paint damage wasn't from the mag mount itself, but the coax whipping back and forth on the roof from the wind. Puts small scratches in the clear coat. Then you have the pinch point where you cram to coax in through a door or window. The point where the coax makes the bend to enter the vehicle is another wear point on the paint or painted trim work.

HRO sells 3/4 inch NMO hole plugs for when you want to sell/trade your vehicle in...

NMO hole plug from HRO

They are also sold by many other sources, but I picked HRO since many hams shop there.

I vote for a NMO mount. If you aren't comfortable doing it, have someone who is. They make a special hole saw that will do the job with no damage to the headliner at all.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
There is paint damage whether they claim it or see it or not. We know it's there. As others have said, if you're going to drill holes already then properly mount the antenna. Mag mounts are only good for temporary installs and by temporary I don't mean one that is on there constantly for weeks and weeks, months and months - that's not temporary.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Hopefully I don't have to delete my own post as off-topic, so here goes...

The absolute best mag mount "install" I ever saw was a mag mount CB on the trunk with the coax routed inside the passenger compartment via plastic cable clamps screwed to the body (about 6 of them).

mrkelso

Just an old soldier with a question for the drilling crowd. Is it ok to drill and mount NMO in the center of the trunk lid ?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Just an old soldier with a question for the drilling crowd. Is it ok to drill and mount NMO in the center of the trunk lid ?

Sure. All our old Crown Victorias had the VHF whip mounted dead center on the trunk lid. As long as there isn't any bracing on the underside to keep the NMO mount from properly seating, it's not an issue.

However, it's not the "ideal" location. Performance will be better on top of the roof. Putting it down on the trunk lid can create some issues with it being down below the roof line, close to glass that may have a metal film tint or defroster wires. But, yes, it'll work.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Looks like the parking lot at a HamFest. Always entertaining to walk around those. Only thing that is missing is a bunch of amber blinky lights. Nothing screams "whacker" like mag mounts and way too many amber strobes.

Someone once told me that "whacker"/"ham sexy" status was having more than one antenna and radio. lol

I agree - the strobes are what push it over the line IMHO.

W5lz

Mag-mounts are temporary, and designed that way. You can use one for years, but they were never made to do that and have disadvantages. If done correctly drilling a hole in a vehicle isn't a problem. The key word there is "correctly". No, it doesn't devalue the vehicle, in fact it can increase the value in particular instances. Almost every mobile antenna was made to work best when mounted directly to metal (the type of metal makes no electrical difference but can make a mechanical difference). Don't "over think" this stuff... but don't quit thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.