Rowan university Public Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jelico

Hi, I’ve been a listener of Rowan University Public Safety for decades. They never went over to P25 or dmr. It’s been a bit quiet these recent weeks because Rowan has been mostly closed, but it was still active. It’s 155.8350 and 158.9250. All I’m hearing today has sounded like a jackhammer. No voice, just jackhammer and some beeping. Does anyone know if this frequency went to inscription or if Rowan Security has changed over to p25 or dmr? I’ve been listening for over 30 years and I fear it has changed. Help!

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
They now operate on the Gloucester County P25 Phase 2 system. I can't be 100% certain, but the database is showing that some encryption may be used on there talkgroup.

Jelico

Thanks for the info. I guess I’ll check for the frequency in the data base. It will be identified eventually. If they’re sharing with Rowan Police they are encrypted. The ems will be going over there too then. They’ve been off because school hasn’t been in session here.

Jelico

Does anyone have any idea what that P25 phase 2 frequency for Rowan Security is? I don’t see anything in the data base but older stuff. If I can find out if it’s not encrypted I’ll buy a radio That can receive it. Hopefully that would go for the ems when they return in the fall.

ansky

Does anyone have any idea what that P25 phase 2 frequency for Rowan Security is? I don’t see anything in the data base but older stuff. If I can find out if it’s not encrypted I’ll buy a radio That can receive it. Hopefully that would go for the ems when they return in the fall.

They don't use a specific frequency, they use a specific talkgroup on the Gloucester County trunked system. The database shows that their talkgroup is encrypted, so you're out of luck.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's a trunked system, not a single frequency. The database indicates that they are fully encrypted on their University Police talkgroup, so it seems that you are out of luck.

FireHam32

Rowan PD is on the GCPS Phase 2 system full time, encrypted. Rowan EMS has the option to operate on GCPS on the normal Fire/EMS talkgroups when working with outside fire/EMS agencies, when responding on mutual aid assignments, or when Rowan Public Safety dispatch is down or otherwise unable to provide the level of service required for EMS dispatch (EMD not available). Rowan Security, EMS (most of the time), and Student Patrol still operate on the VHF channels. The VHF frequencies listed in the database remain accurate. They have been getting ready to switch the VHF channels to Tier 2 MotoTRBO DMR for a few years now so they might have finally pulled the trigger on it or may just be testing. I don't know whether encryption was in the plan for the VHF conversion or not. EMS paging on 155.895 will remain analog for the foreseeable future since the Minitor pagers don't support anything else, but expect most other VHF activity to go digital soon if it hasn't aready.

Jelico

Rowan PD is on the GCPS Phase 2 system full time, encrypted. Rowan EMS has the option to operate on GCPS on the normal Fire/EMS talkgroups when working with outside fire/EMS agencies, when responding on mutual aid assignments, or when Rowan Public Safety dispatch is down or otherwise unable to provide the level of service required for EMS dispatch (EMD not available). Rowan Security, EMS (most of the time), and Student Patrol still operate on the VHF channels. The VHF frequencies listed in the database remain accurate. They have been getting ready to switch the VHF channels to Tier 2 MotoTRBO DMR for a few years now so they might have finally pulled the trigger on it or may just be testing. I don't know whether encryption was in the plan for the VHF conversion or not. EMS paging on 155.895 will remain analog for the foreseeable future since the Minitor pagers don't support anything else, but expect most other VHF activity to go digital soon if it hasn't aready.

Jelico

Thanks for the info. So the Tier 2 motoTRBO DMR may be able to be monitored with the right radio? It seems to make sense that they’re change over now when its the most quiet. I did hear a unit speak, going on air last night on 1558350. Affer that there was nothing else but what sounded like a jackhammer. I also saw someone working on one of the emergency call boxes, but I don’t see why they;d change them. Still wondering if there’s any hope. Thanks all for your replies.

Jelico

I Understand that there are DMR scanners on the market. If there is no encryption, I don’t know why there would be for security, EMS or transport buses, these frequencies should eventually be published and be monitored? I’m spoiled by radio shack scanners and am way out if my depth here. I am reading what I can in this forum but I’ll probably need some help.

FireHam32

Eventually the database will be updated with the new DMR specific info once someone has time to determine what it is. There are some DMR capable scanners on the market. I don't have any that are DMR enabled, so I wouldn't be able to help with that end. I will probably take a stab at it with DSD+ at some point in the next couple weeks, but depends on when and how much time I have available for that task.

Jelico

Thanks for the information. If you could post anything here that you find out some time that would be appreciated. I’m going to look at the DMR scanners. I listened for over 30 years, worked there for 9 years, and it will be nice to be able to continue to listen.

ansky

I Understand that there are DMR scanners on the market. If there is no encryption, I don’t know why there would be for security, EMS or transport buses, these frequencies should eventually be published and be monitored? I’m spoiled by radio shack scanners and am way out if my depth here. I am reading what I can in this forum but I’ll probably need some help.

I believe both the SDS100 and SDS200 scanners as well as the 436 and 536 are capable of DMR, but you have to pay extra to purchase the key to unlock the DMR features. So, very expensive scanners to begin with, plus budget some extra cash for DMR.

Jelico

I’ll check those DMR out. It’s been an inexpensive hobby up until now. Studying for my radio tech license too.
Thanks!

NParkNJ

On the Road
If it does turn out they aren’t using RAS, you could get a cheap DMR radio. Those will work, of course with the right frequency.

If it is RAS, you’ll need DSD, or a scanner. Radios will not work(of course unless you have it programmed with the proper RAS key). 996P2’s are popping up on Ebay. For $300 or a little more they are out there. They can be upgraded to DMR. I have one with DMR and it does a pretty solid job.

What you can do is put that frequency you are trying to hear in conventional mode and turn off the PL. If you hear a buzz-saw like static, it is DMR.

Jelico

I may be able to get the frequency from a staff member if I run into one of the cars. There are a few people there from my days there. If I need a new scanner I will get one.

I’m hearing a jackhammer/fuzz saw sound on the old VHS frequencies, 155.8354 and 158.9250. At least I heard that when I was listening last week. Are you saying that they are using those old frequencies on DMR? THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!

NParkNJ

On the Road
I may be able to get the frequency from a staff member if I run into one of the cars. There are a few people there from my days there. If I need a new scanner I will get one.

I’m hearing a jackhammer/fuzz saw sound on the old VHS frequencies, 155.8354 and 158.9250. At least I heard that when I was listening last week. Are you saying that they are using those old frequencies on DMR? THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!

Of course! Sounds to me like DMR. I’m not down there, I’m up in Northern NJ. You could also try to get a peek at their radios. Motorola XPR’s possibly. But best thing if you can is ask them directly. The officers may not even know its DMR. They may just know it as “digital.”

Jelico

Thanks! My first step is to talk to officer. I’m over there often for a walk. It’s so slow there this summer. No classes, no camps, but I’ll run into someone sooner or later.

FireHam32

Yes, they are using DMR on the same old VHF frequencies. 155.835 is the repeater output and 158.925 is the repeater input for their main channel, so you only need to listen on 155.835. They are mostly using XPRs with a few CP/CM series radios in the mix as well.

K2NEC

You could also try to get a peek at their radios. Motorola XPR’s possibly.
XPR7550e's
But best thing if you can is ask them directly. The officers may not even know its DMR. They may just know it as “digital.”
Just keep in mind that Police and EMS do not use the same system. EMS uses that VHF frequency on DMR, PD use the Gloucester County Phase 2 system, Full E.

Status
Not open for further replies.