Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

Great Report there Gator. Glad you had a good trip.

467.5000S 74.4 - seemed to be Portside Security and Passenger Coordination [Printers/Computers] and a few Wedding Coordinations between embarkation and de-embarkations

Those VHF TV open MIC's are common on Cruise Ships due to the Cable TV Leakage that occurs frequently across the bands. :(

I'll be adding these to my notes [Scan-Cation in Miami/Lauderdale over the past weekend] and adding them to the website over the next few weeks.

22 Ships observed/monitored in 5 days of Scan-Cationing
It would have been 23, but the Regatta did not arrive in Miami :(

Here are my observations from last week aboard the Majesty Of The Seas (MajOTS).
Note: Due to the presence of other ships in the ports visited, only the freqs listed as heard Out At Sea (OAS) or those where I actually saw someone talking on a radio can be definitely associated to the MajOTS.

Miami
(Celebrity Century, Carnival Imagination and Norwegian Sky nearby)

467.8 – Annoying computer “handshakes” and some voice comms
467.5 – voice comms with “man with printer coming aboard”
467.825 – Handshakes. Also observed OAS so likely MajOTS
457.55 – voice comms with talk of “concierge”
457.525 – “Bridge” callsign with talk of meeting between Ships Officers and Coast Guard Officers. Also east Europe accented English with talk about generators. (NB - MajOTS Engineering Officer was noted to be from former USSR)
457.575 – previously identified on Bill Dunn’s excellent website as a MajOTS freq in 2008 and observed to still be in use on same ship. Many comms mentioning “security officers”, and “Gangway to Bridge” with calls regarding counts of crew and passengers who were late to board at ports of call. Also “Port Agent to Bridge” with luggage deliveries, etc.

Out At Sea
(Carnival Imagination always on horizon during passage to Key West)
161.75 (Marine Chan 23R) – Open mic with TV in background
912.9 – household noises and conversation. Baby monitor?
143.75 – cowboy movie type music. TV headset?
149.75 – English language news. TV headset?
467.75 – handshakes
457.6 – crew with fire fighting muster exercise comms. Observed onboard MajOTS.
462.5875 (FRA/GMRS/MURS Chan2) – crew with talk of rooms and manifest. PL 192.8

Key west
Was fishing. No monitoring except just before departure to catch hilarious comms on 457.575 regarding late crew and passengers seen dashing down streets to ship.

Nassau
(Monarch Of The Seas, Carnival Fascination, Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Gem all docked nearby)
851.2375 – phone calls. English with Carib accents. NFM modulation
851.0375 – phone calls as above
460.25 – unk hotel housekeeping with Carib accents
Searching VHF at Prince Georges Wharf became almost impossible due to strong image/overload/bleed-over from unknown English language news program (Carib accents) that appeared almost everywhere on VHF band.
800MHz band active with many Taxi, hotel security and housekeeping comms with Carib accents.

CoCo Cay
(Unknow NCL ship, likely Norwegian Gem or Sky in sight at Great Stirrup Cay)
156.050 (Marine Chan 1A) – MajOTS tender comms
156.3 (Marine Chan 6A) – NCL “Tender Base”
156.6 (Marine Chan 12A) “CoCo Cay site Manager to Bridge” comms
457.525 – voice with talk about “anchor chain tension”. Eastern European accent. Likely MajOTS.
467.85 FRS/GMRS/MURS – briefly heard “bridge copies”. Strong sig but NCL ship still in sight.

All observations made with bcd396xt, Diamond RHF40 antenna and ear buds.
Other than one polite question from fellow cruise member, monitoring went unquestioned by rest of passengers and crew. YMMV.

The cruise ROCKED! I highly recommend taking a trip on the Majesty. Great food, Great Sights and Good Times!

ecps92

Your profile is rather blanks [where are you from]

Many of those channels are Public Safety in the USA, so they would not be used here. I'm wondering if these might be the radios for the Ship Yard in ?? What Country?

I've done work aboard several RCCL ships during the new-build process and I was given a 16 channel Motorola radio while onboard.

The frequencies programmed in the radio were:
460.1750 460.5000 460.3000 460.6500 460.0250 460.0750 460.4000 460.5500
445.7750 445.8750 467.7500 467.7750 467.8000 457.5500 457.5250 457.5380

I don't know that they use those radios when in operation, but I'd be surprised if they don't. Usually each department onboard has a channel (Hotel, Food & Bev, Marine, IT, House Keeping, etc...) These should be current as of late last year.

swannie

Your profile is rather blanks [where are you from]

Many of those channels are Public Safety in the USA, so they would not be used here. I'm wondering if these might be the radios for the Ship Yard in ?? What Country?

Sorry for the late reply, just saw this. :) These were in use in the shipyard, I believe that the radios are owned by the new-build teams within the various departments, so they travel from ship-to-ship during dry docks and/or new builds. I recorded those frequencies while we were at sea, however, using my Opto Scout and one of the radios I was assigned (which was the same radio used while in the shipyard). They build ships in both Germany and Finland, and do dry docks in various locations around the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.