• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

RPM/ProGrammer 20 is cool. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
My shop purchased RPM/ProGrammer 20 fairly recently to support some work we picked up, and of course I was a significant contributing factor in it, as I may not be an expert at EDACS and M/A-Com radios,
but I'm not totally uninformed, either.

I finally got around to upgrading the firmware and DSP in my own "personal" direct FM model 7100IP,
which has every option you'd ever want in it. I'm up to J2R15 radio code and a very nice DSP code
that supports every feature my radio has, so that's good.

What's really cool about the new radio code (J2R13 and above) is that, now, the FCC menu actually
works while monitoring a trunking system, and it's quite useful. It has several pages of data you
can scroll through, which give you the channel number you're currently listening to or talking on,
(logical channel number), the signal strength of it, the frequency variance between your radio's
oscillator and the reference, which is the control channel, and the system usage moment by moment,
expressed as a percentage. 0 percent means the system is idle, of course, and 100 percent is the
point at which users are probably getting busy signals. I have yet to see the system exceed 40
percent, so it seems that the local system has adequate capacity, but weekend night traffic will
be the real test of that.

The only thing I don't really like about RPM is that it can only read and understand a ProGrammer
personality if it reads it from disk. It can't directly handle a ProGrammer personality by reading it
from a radio. The radio has to be upgraded to RPM compatible firmware in order for its personality
to be directly readable.

Oh yeah...I would like to see the full suite of recovery tools added back to the radio maintenance tools,
but an earlier version still works anyway so it's a minor inconvenience. I've considered trying out a
hybrid installation, using the radio maintenance executable from version 18 and installing it in the
programmer/rpm version 20 installation.

Elroy

otter9309

Have you noticed that your system has been bumped from 64 GID's to 1024, but you still can't scan across systems. I would also like to be able to use all 12 spaces on the display of the handheld. Eight is just BUNK.

Last edited:

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
64 GIDs? Group IDs? I've always had 256 group IDs as my prior limit, and have never needed that many as of yet.

I'm glad to have 1024 as the new limit, though.

Incidentally, these limits are by unique names. You could go past the limits on groups by reusing the
same names over and over.

And yes, the firmware is capable of addressing all 12 character blocks per line, and it would be very
nice to have the capacity to use them in your personalities.

I'd also like to see the software adjusted so that you can enter longer group or system names for
purposes of identification to the programming technician, and simply truncate the names to the
displayable length. You'd see the full name in ProGrammer/RPM, and the shorter name on the radio's display.

Elroy

L

LS1_TA

I just upgraded to RPM 3. The new FCC menus are far superior to what was offered in the past.

Cappyton

What type of info can you get from the FCC menu?
Mine on my MRk and Orion never worked. I have ver R18B02

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
The FCC menu works in trunked mode if using RPM, and MAYBE ProGrammer 20.

For RPM version 2, you get a screen showing current channel number and signal strength meter in dBM,
a screen showing your radio's frequency relative to the frequency of the control channel transmission,
a scren showing site number and current control channel number, (I think that's what it is) and a system
utilization monitor which shows how busy the system is, expressed as a percentage. 50 percent would
mean that half the available channels are currently busy.

I don't know what RPM 3 adds to the FCC menus.

Elroy

MR-EDACS

The FCC Menu has been around for a while Firmware versions j2r09 to j2r13 required you have the FCC.SC4 file installed in programmer in order to use that feature in Edacs mode. The FCC menu feature always worked in the Conv mode since day one when the Jaguar and P7100 first came out. I have been using the FCC menu in Edacs mode for several years now and it has been a very useful tool in trouble shooting problems with a system such as a week channel or a channel that had an audio problem. It is to be used as a tool to give you some kind of idea on what is going on with the system. But it should not be used in system alignments. Some people were using it as a alignment tool and having some serious problems with their systems, That is why the feature was not avalible in versions 9 to 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.