RR Active Data Base

ecps92

Is there anyway to tell in RR Data base if a frequency is actively being used ?
Thanks in advance
Only way is for YOU and/or Others who maybe local to listen

Keep in mind, depending on who it is, they may only use it for "THE BIG ONE" or they may use it daily or...it is just a paper frequency they gave up years ago, but keep re-licensing

cubn

Database Admin
The Radioreference database is almost 20 years old so there are bound to be frequencies that were submitted that are no longer in use.

Here's an archive from 2006:

If someone knows or has good authority that a frequency is no longer in use, we changed the tag to Deprecated and the frequency or talk group will be purged from the database, I believe on a monthly basis.

It's very easy to confirm frequencies are in use, but like ecps92 said it's harder to confirm a frequency not in use.

racefan0020

Premium Subscriber
Cubn, Thanks much for a portal to the way back machine. For a couple minutes, it was quite fun to look back and see what frequencies we were using. Back then low band fire is what we used here in York County.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I believe I made the suggestion in another thread to create a new database field for date of last reported activity on a frequency or Talkgroup. Apparently the higher ups felt that would be too complicated and may not work very well for various reasons.

Like other commenters said, it is a complicated issue because many agencies have frequencies or talkgroups programmed that are rarely used. It's basically trying to prove a negative.

I will guarantee you, a lot of of public safety users are not aware of what half the channels in their own radios are used for, and they don't want to know.

Last edited: