rr.com Lottery ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8OSP

I think the powers to be should start this!! Lindsay, Hope you read this or hope you consider this!

I have an idea that could help RR, get more premium subscribers and add a little fun. I am sure we can figure out a way of drawing names that are put into the lottery either by a 10.00 dollar donation or premium subscriber. Since Scanner master is one of the main add's, maybe we can talk with them and help provide the scanners, antennas and such as prizes. What ever money is left from the total of a scanner shipped can be used for improvements to the site or maybe a more significant prize?

Now as for when the drawing dates and what not could be worked out and depending on how many buy the lotto. I would think that it would be very easy enough to get enough people to buy the lotto to give out a scanner or antenna or what ever, every other couple months. The price I listed above could be adjusted but I feel should be easy enough and cheap enough for many many people to buy into the lotto.

I think this could by a very fun and rewarding addition to this site and help genarate revenue to help the site grow. This would also hopefully build and improve the relationship with scanner master and more of our community! I may be wrong with this idea but I think it has the potential to make a great thing for RR.

So what ya think??

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Jayson,

I appreciate the thought... but the management behind it is dicey. I have to worry about legal and tax issues... plus setup a separate management system to keep track.

It sounds cool, but at the end of the day it's gimmick that is going to take a lot of effort to manage. Plus, who know what kind of legal and governmental issues i'll have to deal with managing a "lottery"

Thanks again for the suggestion - but for now I'm going to have to pass.

jon_k

Perhaps the term lottery is the bad word here?

At the Hamcom they have a raffle. Your purchase of your ID to enter the hamcom event is your ticket to the raffle at the end of the event. So you are paying to play to the tune of 10 dollars.

Though I'm sure Lindsay you're just thinking overall lots of effort to manage small thrills with a chance of legal issues = better play safe.

JnglMassiv

I'm not an attorney or anything like one but here's my take.

Ever heard of a 'numbers racket'? That's a private lottery, basically what is being described here, and it's totally illegal in most places. There's some flexibility for nonprofits (Those church bingo games and VFW Hall raffles are said to be fundraising / they often need permits, too) and obviously there're exeptions for State sanctioned lotteries (ie Megamillions/Powerball) but otherwise, you can't casually set up games of chance if real money is involved.

If RR.com is a non-profit organization, there's a shot. Otherwise, I don't think so.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Lottery never goes good with taxes, permits, gambling, federal

Raffle is more correct

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
How about a raffle where the grand prize is:

Be the RadioReference webmaster for a day!

(the only loser in this would be Lindsay)

shaft

You need permits for raffles in a lot of states too. Ga is one of them. You could probably get away with it by doing a seperate "donation" with a free scanner give away every few months.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
You need permits for raffles in a lot of states too. Ga is one of them. You could probably get away with it by doing a seperate "donation" with a free scanner give away every few months.

I agree with this. I'd be willing to "donate" money and/or become a premium subscriber if there was a chance for a "free prize."

What if your "donations" had to be received by the end of a financial quarter (say $5)? Then at the end of each quarter Lindsay (unless you really don't want too), could giveaway the prize to anyone that had his $5 in by the deadline. If your money is received late- you're in for the next drawing in 3 months. I'd be very willing to lose $20 bucks a year for that purpose.

However, I think the choice of the prize should be mentioned WAY in advance (so I'm not "donating" for a prize I don't want), or the "winner" should get to choose a prize with a certain monetary cap $500- I think over 100 people would play every quarter and any leftover money could rollover or go to the site.

I don't think anyone really worries about losing $5, and I only suggested Lindsay's name b/c it's the most recognizable, but really any mod has my trust to hold on to $5-$10 bucks.

tusker305

What if, You don't have a lottery, you don't have a raffle (those words like to make the tax man's ears stand up). What if, you just reward your members and donors, with a drawing once a month. The way I see it is this site is a club of radio lovers, we all filled out a form to join, it is open to everyone, we share thoughts, ideas, and information to make a hobby more enjoyable for each other. There are rules to follow, and the leader of the club is willing to listen and adopt ideas of it's members. So call it a giveaway. Clubs giveaway stuff to members all the time. Pay your dues and you are a member, don't pay dues and you are an associate. Associates get to use the facilities, but members get the cool and free stuff. What ya think?

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Can't do it legally. In order to award a prize you need to stipulate that there's no purchase necessary to win. No purchase = no extra $ = no reason for Lindsay or Scannermaster to part with said "prize" other than "free" advertising which neither party really needs - both are doing fine and already well known. There's just no reason to do it, and given the stickyness legally, Lindsay's making the right choice.

-AZ

jon_k

Can't do it legally. In order to award a prize you need to stipulate that there's no purchase necessary to win. No purchase = no extra $

Then how does McDonalds hold the monopoly game?

You can't get the scratchoff things without getting a Coke. You don't get a coke without purchase.

By your logic Purchase = "purchase necessary = illegal"

Tons of other games like this go over the same way. E.G. Jack in the box's "Buy a meal to get a receipt to enter in the free $10,0000 giveaway.) Well, you have to pay for the receipt which is the ticket to the raffle, so purchase is necessary.

So I guess all it takes is putting NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. MUST DONATE $5 TO ENTER DRAWLING. CONTESTS ARE VOID IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA (I see that often) and you're covered.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Then how does McDonalds hold the monopoly game?

You can't get the scratchoff things without getting a Coke. You don't get a coke without purchase.

By your logic Purchase = "purchase necessary = illegal"

Tons of other games like this go over the same way. E.G. Jack in the box's "Buy a meal to get a receipt to enter in the free $10,0000 giveaway.) Well, you have to pay for the receipt which is the ticket to the raffle, so purchase is necessary.

Yes you can get the monopoly scratchoff things without a purchase.. You have to send them a envelope and they will mail it back to you.

mciupa

Database Admin
You could have a skill testing question so theoretically you are not giving away anything, you would have to earn the right to win the prize. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.