RR Database changes and weekly HP1 downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCO

UPMan:
In this thread yesterday, it was pointed out that several software programs, including Sentinel don't display "County" although you do have the County code in the HP1 database . This works as long as what is displayed is ["local unit of government" / County], but it appears that with RR now displaying County in some of its reports, DB admins have been stripping the county out . As was pointed out in that thread, looking at site information then becomes a guessing game as to what county the site is in.

Any chance of Sentinel being changed to display County also in the Favorites editor (Sites info) ?.. This is showing up first in our largest TRS (MPSCS), but I guess it could also be happening in all of them..

RR: Some of the canned PDF and HTML reports show County, some don't ...

EDIT: I just realized the title of the thread is not correct, as the Database structure itself hasn't changed...just what's being displayed in some RR reports.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Could you point me to a concrete example (it would save me some time trying to interpret the above).

OCO

Michigan Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies Michigan MPSCS .... I'll show this as an example but, I see the same activity in other systems in more than one state. Unless you are already appending the County to the Site location in Sentinel, it looks to me like the SIte (tower) will just show the "local unit of governement" and not the County.. The first clip shows RR activity deleting County and the second shows what Sentinel currently displays for Site location...
If you look at the Consumers Energy system Consumers Energy Trunking System, Various, Michigan - Scanner Frequencies you'll see that the data has changed also..

Attachments

• mpscs changes2.jpg
    mpscs changes2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 377
  • hpexample2.jpg
    hpexample2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 381

OCO

Just thought I'd put in one more little comment... as an example of the problem, I've got a cabin in Clare County. If I was there and setting the HP1 to just a local MPSCS site, I'd have no idea, as in the 42 years I've been going up there, I've never heard of Phelps......

OCO

Dave - you're missing the point..If I were in Clare County, will I be able to find the TRS sites in that county from Sentinel's list of sites? I can currently, but if the DBAs are changing the site information, then will Sentinel now just show the site name without County? Note that the issue is there for some of the canned RR reports also.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
For sites, HPDB only knows what is in the text field. It cannot associate the lat/lon position to a specific county. So, if the county information is not in the text field, one would hope that whatever is in the text field is descriptive enough to indicate the general location. One would really hope that all the location data is input and accurate, so that manually selecting sites is not needed.

OCO

Paul: I never implied that the actual location information (Lat/Long) was incorrect - the MPSCS system's tower locations are accurate. The point was that a person looking at the system (any large system) and wanting to trim the scan list to specific tower sites isn't going to have the county info. Not all of my Favorites use location; I had a reason for building a short list that doesn't use it, and building that list was facilitated by looking at the sites listed in the HPDB. I know that you have the numeric County code in the DB, I think you just confirmed that there aren't any plans to display that County information and since the RR DBs have made a decision to strip the County info from that text field, we users are SOL..

Since I wasn't the first one to bring this up but no one else is commenting, I'll drop the issue...'Nuff said. :confused:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
True the county information is helpful, especially if you plan to visit a city where you do not have the information available. The other thing to do would be to use zip code information to select nearby systems when GPS location based scanning is not available.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I wasn't really saying any information was incorrect (just that the HP-1 relies on correct information).

The real message was that HPDB does not get the "numeric county code" from RRDB. It gets the latitude, longitude, and range.

OCO

Paul: I see what you are saying - that the County info you are getting like this:
CountyInfo CountyId=1242 StateId=26 Cheboygan
CountyInfo CountyId=1243 StateId=26 Chippewa
CountyInfo CountyId=1244 StateId=26 Clare
CountyInfo CountyId=1247 StateId=26 Delta

is not joined to the site info... Ah well....(I see the new DB is out and the site info is showing the deletion of the county name) ..

Status
Not open for further replies.