RR Database for Spotsylvania.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
I was re-doing my list on my Home Patrol over the weekend and found that for Spotsylvania Sheriff Talk groups DEC#'s 291 and 292 do not load on to the card when updating the database. I tried this a couple times to no end.

I did get them in manually and even though one channel shows encrypted I have yet to hear anything off either channel.

Thought I would mention this as it was the only two channels I found that are in the data base and not loading to the cards like the 20 other Counties I loaded Sunday.

I also noticed the database Admin had added the 292 on 2013-06-06 23:29:23 and something was added and deleted on 2013-12-14 17:00:15.

So, these might not have been livened up.

Thanks.

fredva

Feed Provider
291 is marked "D" so it would be ProVoice, not monitorable by any scanner. With the other one marked "E" (ProVoice also?), I wouldn't expect to hear voice transmissions on either.

Dafe1er

I see that now...lol new I was missing something. I thought the D meant Digital.....lol

I have Culpeper loaded and they are listed as D and I pick up the dispatch channel. So would they be using something else? This is the channel I hear com's on.

42224 a4f D CCSO Adm Admin (includes Town Police) Law Tac

Would these two channels on Spotsy be their new radio channels they are working on?

fredva

Feed Provider
The D does mean digital. But in this case, it is Harris's proprietary digital format called ProVoice. It's not P25 open standard digital, which Culpeper uses.

I'm not real familiar with those particular Tac talkgroups, and I don't know as much as the person who submitted or entered the info, but they should be part of the older EDACS system.

dtscho

Database Admin
Right, any frequencies/talkgroups in the database which are not monitorable with current scanners are not transferred to the scanner. They would just be taking up space.

That means anything marked with an "E" in any system, or a "D" in a ProVoice system.

Dave

Dafe1er

Thanks for the response's guy. I am a little lost. Spotys ia a EDACS system. Is the provice the "encryption" that is used on this system? I just do not understand why they would need to add another channel or two while they are going through a upgrade process and make them private.

Thanks again.

dtscho

Database Admin
ProVoice is not in and of itself encryption; it is just a digital format. ProVoice can be encrypted, however. In Spotsy's case, I believe they have an unencrypted ProVoice talkgroup and an encrypted one.

As for why they would add them when they're moving to the Project 25 system, I believe they have had the channels for at least a few years now; they are not "new."

Dave

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
I never knew that Spotsy was a EDACS system. but yes I do hear the analog transmissions when I am in the City of Fred . They are supposed to be moving to a P-25 system and the Sheriff was talking about encrypting everything but maybe if he goes to a P 25 Phase 2, he will price most people out of buying scanners-LOL. (I still cannot believe Stafford encrypted……………but they did).

fredva

Feed Provider
I never knew that Spotsy was a EDACS system. but yes I do hear the analog transmissions when I am in the City of Fred . They are supposed to be moving to a P-25 system and the Sheriff was talking about encrypting everything but maybe if he goes to a P 25 Phase 2, he will price most people out of buying scanners-LOL. (I still cannot believe Stafford encrypted……………but they did).

The consultant that made the recommendation for the new system said Phase II wouldn't be needed for awhile due to a sufficient number of frequencies available. The P25 Phase I system will re-use the existing 800 Mhz frequencies. As far as anybody knows at this point, the sheriff's department will be encrypted but not fire and EMS.

Dafe1er

I thought they had said (a while back) that they were thinking of encrypting the Tac channels and leaving the Dispatch channel open?

Many off duty officers listen to the scanners/ radios while out doing things.

Only time will tell. If Spotsy goes encrypted then we are left with only Fire to listen to. Which is OK, since they get the call normally before the Sheriff for emergencies.

It does suck to think that us here in the southern region will be in the dark soon on the Police.

Thanks to the radio sales people for scaring the departments into things they do not need!

Status
Not open for further replies.