RRBlog: VHF/UHF Spectrum Analysis using the RF Space SDR-14

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
One of the most impressive developments in the radio communications community over the past few years is the advent of software defined receivers, which can provide great tools for spectrum analysis. Hobbyists today can not only view entire swaths of spectrum at one time to view activity, but can also record entire spectrum chunks for later playback and analysis using SDR tools. This article reviews how the RF Space SDR-14 can be used to monitor the VHF/UHF spectrum in new ways.

http://radioreference.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I'll second this. Nice review Lindsay. I use one as well with my AR5000A+3. There certainly can't be a better consumer level device out there for spectrum analysis.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm not kidding when I say that this device is absolutely the most unbelievable thing that has shown up in my shack. It takes advanced signal and spectrum analysis to a whole new level.

Bujalino

RF Space compared to Perseus

Gentlemen,

I have read some comments about the RF Space SDR-14 and I have a couple questions.

1. How are the frquencies above 30Mhz being monitored by the SDR-14?

2. How does the Perseus compare to the SDR-14?

3. I read the specs of the SDR-14 and SDR IQ on the RF Space website and can't find the differences except for price. What am I missing?

Not an expert by any stretch, but I have owned an R75, R10, RX7, ICR2010, AOR8200 and had a blast with them. I want a computer controled receiver for portability since I travel 5 days a week. Hotels get boring.

Thanks for your help!

Very Best,

Bill

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Gentlemen,

To quote Shemp Howard of the Three Stooges, "Who came in?" :D

1. How are the frquencies above 30Mhz being monitored by the SDR-14?

The 10.7 MHz IF output of a receiver such as the AOR AR5000 or the Icom IC-R8500 is connected to the 0.1-30 MHz input of the SDR-14. The radio is then connected via serial cable to the computer. Spectravue software then allows for control of the receiver via the serial port and displays the actual frequency the receiver is tuned to, and plus or minus to either side of the center frequency for the bandwidth selected. To tune to a signal, one only has to use the mouse to click on the "spike" or the signal as it appears on the waterfall display. Astounding setup.

2. How does the Perseus compare to the SDR-14?

I can't speak to the performance of the Perseus. I don't believe that it can perform the functions as listed in my above comment, but then again I haven't researched it much.

3. I read the specs of the SDR-14 and SDR IQ on the RF Space website and can't find the differences except for price. What am I missing?

The SDR IQ only displays a maximum of 190 KHz, where the SDR-14 can display up to 30 MHz of spectrum.

Not an expert by any stretch, but I have owned an R75, R10, RX7, ICR2010, AOR8200 and had a blast with them. I want a computer controled receiver for portability since I travel 5 days a week. Hotels get boring.

This would certainly not be the most portable setup as described above. But, the SDR IQ and the SDR-14 are both excellent standalone shortwave receivers. The IQ uses power from the USB jack of the computer, so it'll likely shorten a laptop's battery life if you're not plugged into AC.

SCPD

QRT
IF out on R8500

I thought there was voltage on that IF out and it could damage the SDR if plugged into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.