RRDB change: NYC counties to be consolidated into single entity

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Per Lindsay, he will be implementing the idea I proposed:

- New York County (Manhattan) will be changed to New York City

- All data and live feeds currently assigned to the four outer boroughs will be migrated to the New York City page

- The four outer boroughs will all point to the New York City page

In effect, this will eliminate Bronx County, Kings County, Queens County and Richmond County. It's not really that big of a change, considering 99% of the data already resides in New York County. It merely consolidates everything into a single New York City entity.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Outstanding, I've been wondering for a few years why this wasn't set up this way to begin with. Good move!

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Brilliant...you have smart brains ;-)

Bound to make it SO much easier to find what we're looking for.

Thanks!

ResQguy

Meh
This is a good idea, on many levels. Two questions though:
1. Any idea how this will affect the RRDB driven scanners?
2. Estimated date of arrival?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
This is a good idea, on many levels. Two questions though:
1. Any idea how this will affect the RRDB driven scanners?
2. Estimated date of arrival?

I'll answer them backwards:

2. It's already done, more or less. All of the conventional data is already in the New York City entity (ex-New York County, the database ID remains the same 1855), all trunked systems are assigned only to New York City, all of the live audio feeds have been transferred to New York City, and all of the Wikis have been updated to reflect the change. I think Lindsay has a little bit more housekeeping to do, such as updating the maps so all 5 boroughs/counties point to the same New York City entity, as well as a few changes to the FCC queries and reports to reflect the change. Once everything is done, the four outer borough counties will be deleted so there is no confusion.

1. Instead of the 5 counties as it currently is, there will be the single New York City entity. All data, conventional and trunked, will be under that "county". Given the fact that 99% of all NYC stuff was already on the New York County page, there shouldn't be much of a change at all.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I looked at the listing in Sentinel after today's update, and it now shows New York City. The four outer borough counties are still listed, but that should be taken care of in short order.

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, Chauffer. You certainly put a lot of time into this DB. It is appreciated as I reprogram roughly 9 scanners a week at this point (most of them mine!).

eriepascannist

Premium Subscriber
Great idea! I listen to NYC public safety quite often from over here and this change makes it SO much easier to find the feed I want to listen to. Thanks for all the time and effort!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The response to this change has been overwhelmingly positive, reinforcing my thought that it was a no-brainer. It took us some trial and error to get all the kinks worked out, but here we are two months later and everything seems to be good to go. No more submissions to the outer boroughs asking why the local precinct isn't listed there, that's a plus!

Status
Not open for further replies.