RRDB Search Techniques (searching for Air freqs in VA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QDP2012

Hi,

As a new RR user, I hate asking questions that have obvious answers, but this one I haven't found the answer to. Any clarification would be appreciated.

When searching for frequencies related to Pegasus Helicopter and UVA Medical Center aircraft operations in the Charlottesville region, it seems that different methods of searching the RRDB give differing results.

Please help me understand why I find frequency 123.05 listed for UVA at this RR page...

Virginia Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference, COMMONWEALTH OF

...and on this page...

KUK2 (VIRGINIA, COMMONWEALTH OF) FCC Callsign Details

...but do not find it in the list when I go to...

RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database

...and search using "Frequency Search by State" for 123.05, which directs me to this page...

123.05 Search Results

...which seems not to include the listing found on the first two links above.

Am I using the search tools correctly? Is the difference possibly because the first two links above list the frequencies that an agency/entity is _authorized_ to use, whereas possibly the last link above lists only those frequencies that are _actually_ in use?

Any clarification is appreciated. And thanks to all who have contributed to RR's extensive listings.

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:

W4UVV

123.0500 mhz. (KUK2) is the UNICOM frequency for the Charlottesville Airport. Pegasus probably would heard on 462.9750 mhz. or if coming to/leaving from MCV Richmond on 462.9500 mhz. For on scene comms medflights in central Va. typically contact the responding VFD/FD/EMS direct on 155.2050 mhz.

Last edited:

shumadine

You bring up some good questions, and I don't have any good answers for you regarding the differences in the database. However, if you are looking for more Pegasus information, type pegasus into the search function of the Virginia forum, and there are lots of helpful threads here.

QDP2012

Thanks

123.0500 mhz. (KUK2) is the UNICOM frequency for the Charlottesville Airport. Pegasus probably would heard on 462.9750 mhz. or if coming to/leaving from MCV Richmond on 462.9500 mhz. For on scene comms medflights in central Va. typically contact the responding VFD/FD/EMS direct on 155.2050 mhz.

Thanks. I had not yet connected 123.05 with CHO, but it makes sense immediately. I had already found the Med 10, Med 9, and EMS Statewide channels, but was unclear about the Air-band frequencies.

Thanks for making it clearer,

Bob

QDP2012

Thanks

You bring up some good questions, and I don't have any good answers for you regarding the differences in the database. However, if you are looking for more Pegasus information, type pegasus into the search function of the Virginia forum, and there are lots of helpful threads here.

I have not tried that yet, but certainly will. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bob

QDP2012

RR DB Admins, Moderators, and other experts...

Am I using the search tools correctly? Is the difference possibly because the first two links above list the frequencies that an agency/entity is _authorized_ to use, whereas possibly the last link above lists only those frequencies that are _actually_ in use?

Good morning all,

RR DBAs, Moderators, and anyone who knows the RR system well, please let me know how to better use the RR DB. All advice and instruction is appreciated. I read all of the new-user instruction items before posting the question, and might simply have misunderstood the instructions. If the correct technique or solution is already documented, I apologize, and ask for simply a link to the particular instruction page.

Thanks,

Bob

mikev

If I had to guess, the reason why the info is in the first two locations and not in the fourth is because the first two locations are displaying data solely based on FCC license information, not "ears-on-the-ground".

This site has information culled from a number of other data sources, especially the FCC. The RR DB itself is based on what people have heard, submitting that information to the site as a sort of confirmation that the frequency is in use, and who is using the frequency. This allows related frequencies in a local or regional area to be categorized together, making it easy for people to find and add the data they want to their scanners.

I'm not a moderator or admin, so I don't know this for certain... but based on what you've linked to, that would be my guess.

QDP2012

If I had to guess, the reason why the info is in the first two locations and not in the fourth is because the first two locations are displaying data solely based on FCC license information, not "ears-on-the-ground".

This site has information culled from a number of other data sources, especially the FCC. The RR DB itself is based on what people have heard, submitting that information to the site as a sort of confirmation that the frequency is in use, and who is using the frequency. This allows related frequencies in a local or regional area to be categorized together, making it easy for people to find and add the data they want to their scanners.

I'm not a moderator or admin, so I don't know this for certain... but based on what you've linked to, that would be my guess.

I was beginning to think that the two data-sets might come from different DBs. It makes sense that one would be a direct or nearly-direct query of the FCC's records, and the other a query of the RRDB, as maintained by RRDB contributors. I wanted to ask for advice and explanation, so I will know how and what to search in the future. I will make sure to do both the FCC-type search and the RRDB-type search, to get the full picture. It's great having quality data so readily available and searchable.

Thanks for your reply, and thanks again to all who contribute to RR's extensive listings and features,

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.