RRDB v2.0 Q&A and Feedback Discussion

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
In the DB for Ham zip codes some are incorrect some zip codes show up in Ga for FL zip codes. Here is a example 30188 is for ga in a clay county fl zip code, or some zip codes are wrong listing for that county listing.

Here is a wrong zip for St Johns County FL the zip 32065 goes to Clay county FL

zip code 32260 is jacksonville.

Not sure if there glitches?

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Been watching the comments here and hoping that I can help some people out with the change to the new DB format.
I posted a video, with chapters, to help guide users though version 2.0 of the database.

You can view the video here:

Lindsay, I love the changes you made to version 2.0. The layout is great and is super easy to navigate once you run through the built in tour. Nice job and it's awesome that you are keeping up with the comments and bug reports!

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
...it almost certainly boils down to weird crap going on with the FCCs data.

Working for the government myself, I'll buy this explanation. I was wondering if it was just something I was missing. Nope...just government "efficiency".

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the FCC Grants page, and it shows a list of frequencies for a license, but when I open the license, it shows that only one frequency is located at a site.

For example, looking at Dallas County, Texas today:

FCCGrants.png

You can see where I highlighted 2 frequencies that are listed at 2 different cities, but if I drill down to the license:

FCCLicense.png

You can see the one frequency is only licensed for one of the 2 sites, and the other is only licensed at a site in another county and at neither of the sites in Dallas County.

I don't recall this being the case in RRDB 1.0

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Looking at the FCC Grants page, and it shows a list of frequencies for a license, but when I open the license, it shows that only one frequency is located at a site.

For example, looking at Dallas County, Texas today:

View attachment 123066

You can see where I highlighted 2 frequencies that are listed at 2 different cities, but if I drill down to the license:

View attachment 123067

You can see the one frequency is only licensed for one of the 2 sites, and the other is only licensed at a site in another county and at neither of the sites in Dallas County.

I don't recall this being the case in RRDB 1.0
Yes, this behavior was normal with 1.0

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
The pop-up window for FCC Frequency Proximity Query does not fit on a mobile device. The form filler to the right of the map is off the screen.

Android 13, Chrome browser for reference.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
In the DB for Ham zip codes some are incorrect some zip codes show up in Ga for FL zip codes.
Is this a case of "garbage in, garbage out"? If licensees enter the wrong ZIP Code on their applications, it'll be wrong in the FCC ULS database and that's where RadioReference gets its data.

Also, remember that ZIP Code boundaries do not necessarily conform to county lines. The ZIP Code for my address covers mail customers in two different counties.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Is this a case of "garbage in, garbage out"? If licensees enter the wrong ZIP Code on their applications, it'll be wrong in the FCC ULS database and that's where RadioReference gets its data.

Also, remember that ZIP Code boundaries do not necessarily conform to county lines. The ZIP Code for my address covers mail customers in two different counties.
I looked at some zip codes don't belong in FL they belong in other states.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Just noticed the standard input frequencies to the Johnson County Radio Amateurs Club VHF repeaters got scrambled in the new database. Do we need to submit a correction?
Bill

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
In the DB for Ham zip codes some are incorrect some zip codes show up in Ga for FL zip codes. Here is a example 30188 is for ga in a clay county fl zip code, or some zip codes are wrong listing for that county listing.

Here is a wrong zip for St Johns County FL the zip 32065 goes to Clay county FL

zip code 32260 is jacksonville.

Not sure if there glitches?
@blantonl I think I see the problem. If you go to "RRDB / Browse / US / Florida / Clay County / Ham", the ZIP Codes under the heading "Callsigns by Zipcode" are not correct for Clay County FL. 30188 is in Georgia, 32246 is in Jacksonville northeast of Clay County, and 34453 is way southwest of Clay County.

It gets even weirder if you go to "RRDB / Browse / US / Indiana / Hendricks County / Ham". 38672 is in Mississippi, 85716 is in Arizona, and 95032 is in California.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Just noticed the standard input frequencies to the Johnson County Radio Amateurs Club VHF repeaters got scrambled in the new database. Do we need to submit a correction?
Bill

That would probably be easiest, get the corrected info submitted so the admin for that county can make the corrections (they may not see it here).

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
@blantonl I think I see the problem. If you go to "RRDB / Browse / US / Florida / Clay County / Ham", the ZIP Codes under the heading "Callsigns by Zipcode" are not correct for Clay County FL. 30188 is in Georgia, 32246 is in Jacksonville northeast of Clay County, and 34453 is way southwest of Clay County.

It gets even weirder if you go to "RRDB / Browse / US / Indiana / Hendricks County / Ham". 38672 is in Mississippi, 85716 is in Arizona, and 95032 is in California.
It seems on every county in each state. I notice a few in VT has incorrect zip codes.

3King

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone else as not impressed with this new RR crap as I am???
What the living crap was wrong with the original layout?

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
Database Query -
I've always used bookmarks (as an easy starting point) for research. These no longer work. Are there any "?=" that we can add to the end of the "RRDB | United States | Query" to direct to a particular state or multiple states. This would be without having to click the states each time I enter the query.

Previously used bookmarks like these:

This searches multiple states OK, KS, MO, AR. The 154.025 is just a frequency chosen out of thin air.
I use the same thing for the IA/MO/IL border region and for IL/MO borders.

METRO AREAS
from a metro area page, RRDB | St. Louis Metro Area Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference, I don't see a direct way to search the "identified frequencies".

Maybe it's somewhere else now, but previously used a bookmark like this:
www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?freq=159.33&action=imf&mid=31

This applies back to the same query process above that is used to select multiple states.

Yes, on a PC browser, it doesn't take much work to do a click or to, but the bookmarks really came in handy on a mobile device. Press a button on my screen, and automatically have the search area come up. All I had to do was enter a frequency.

Just a request, not sure how many others use this like I do, but I just wanted to throw it out there. Thanks Lindsay!