RRDB v2.0 Q&A and Feedback Discussion

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Yea the thing different is the first database page used to show the continental US. Nobody cares about the statistics, except the few who will reply to this stating they deeply care and I'm wrong

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Yea the thing different is the first database page used to show the continental US. Nobody cares about the statistics, except the few who will reply to this stating they deeply care and I'm wrong

Yeah. Bookmarks are your friend. I have a bookmark to my state. If I want to look at another state, it’s still my starting point.

I forget that they have the silly statistics page. Not sure why that was decided on; he may have explained but I don’t recall. Maybe it’ll go away sometime but, regardless, the bookmark to my state works well.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I deeply care and you are wrong.

You would be SHOCKED at some of the uses of of the database. Every use case is different. If you see something implemented on the site, it wasn't because I woke up in the morning, took a dump, and said "I think the team would like this." We'll, actually, sometimes there are some things out there like that. But you probably don't even notice them 😜

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
It doesn't affect my usability at all because I never see it, but I don't think the stats on site use is a good default page for new database users to see. I see the real point of the page is to give users the big blue buttons and the menu on the left, and the choice was maybe between showing the stats or nothing at all. The downside would be people not understanding the database's purpose, questioning "why are they showing me all these stats that I don't care about since they have nothing to do with frequencies or talk groups?" and thinking that they've misunderstood something. Or maybe the idea is something like "new users will want to participate/subscribe because the site is so darned popular"?

NBD, really.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Yes I realize the site owner takes pride in his statistics, I'm very glad and wouldn't want it any other way. Nobodys saying the database is the problem. By the way I read the stats, better get the admins going, it says there's 181 open submissions

and when you put the mouse over that fancy trend graph with the fancy colors and lines, the maybe its my browser but hovering over there words white font on a white background, not very easy to read

Last edited:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
and when you put the mouse over that fancy trend graph with the fancy colors and lines, the maybe its my browser but hovering over there words white font on a white background, not very easy to read
confirmed, it is my browser that is the problem

codeplug

Disabled Veteran, US Army, RIP #Hobo Shoestring#
Hello Mr. Blanton
Can you please add a link to the Hamburger Menu Tab or somewhere easy to find so Users can go back
to either the Forums Main Page or to the Broadcastify Feed Page.
I see the Links on the Top of the Menu Page from a PC but I can't find a way or a Link to go back using an
Android Smart Phone.
Unless I am overlooking it somehow, I can't find it.
It doesn't appear to be a Link in the Left Side Menu either.
Sorry If this has already been discussed somewhere else I may have overlooked it.
This is what it shows on the Top of the Database Screen from a PC, but using an Android Smart Phone
it does not show these options. Are they hidden somewhere I can't seem to find them.
It's a Pain in the Butt trying to find these simple things.
Thanks.

codeplug

Disabled Veteran, US Army, RIP #Hobo Shoestring#
Hello fxdscon
I saw that on the Top of the Menu.
I thought it was just for looks not a link.
I see it now, it's a link or shortcut back to the RR Home Page.
I did not know that was there.
I still think a menu like it shows on a PC would also be helpful.
Thanks, That helps a lot.

Last edited:

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
If I do a query for 454.19375 in California, I get:

Freq Out Freq InToneCallsignDescriptionCategoryAgency/CountyState
454.19375Cook's Communications ValleyNetSite 08UNKNOWNCA
454.19375Fisher Wireless TeamTalkPine HillEl DoradoCA
454.19375TRBOWEST (WA-OR-ID-CA)Lyman HillSkagitCA

The problem is that Lyman Hill is in Skagit County, WA, hundreds of miles north of CA. If I go to the TRBOWEST system, that freq is only used on two sites of the system, both of which are in WA. The other is Fife Heights in Pierce County and doesn't appear in these search results.

Apologies if this is a dup report or I'm missing something. It feels familiar, but I can't find anything about it.

PhillyPhoto

If I do a query for 454.19375 in California, I get:

Freq OutFreq InToneCallsignDescriptionCategoryAgency/CountyState
454.19375Cook's Communications ValleyNetSite 08UNKNOWNCA
454.19375Fisher Wireless TeamTalkPine HillEl DoradoCA
454.19375TRBOWEST (WA-OR-ID-CA)Lyman HillSkagitCA

The problem is that Lyman Hill is in Skagit County, WA, hundreds of miles north of CA. If I go to the TRBOWEST system, that freq is only used on two sites of the system, both of which are in WA. The other is Fife Heights in Pierce County and doesn't appear in these search results.

Apologies if this is a dup report or I'm missing something. It feels familiar, but I can't find anything about it.
I think it's because the system itself is in both WA and CA (among other states). So the database sees every frequency as being available in any of those locations. If you search for that frequency in Idaho, you get the same system:

Freq Out Freq InToneCallsignDescriptionCategoryAgency/CountyState
454.19375TRBOWEST (WA-OR-ID-CA)Lyman HillSkagitID

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure why or what happened to The way the FCC database is displayed on county info. But a while back I noticed it is way different. I'm not a Big fan of this if you use the search feature by name of what you are looking for regardless of business, public safety or other it keeps showing All The frequencies for The county. There used to be an option to look at new licenses for The county that were recently applied for. But I don't see this option anymore ? Has this feature been removed ?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm not sure why or what happened to The way the FCC database is displayed on county info. But a while back I noticed it is way different. I'm not a Big fan of this if you use the search feature by name of what you are looking for regardless of business, public safety or other it keeps showing All The frequencies for The county. There used to be an option to look at new licenses for The county that were recently applied for. But I don't see this option anymore ? Has this feature been removed ?
Sort by grant date

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
In 2.0, the tables seem to have additional padding and use a larger font, causing substantially fewer lines to be displayed on the page. For example, at the new RCS system page, if I inspect the first freq cell, 851.0375, it says the total line-height is 29.9667 px*, letting me display about 9 rows in a certain window size. It would be about 13 rows if it were possible to remove the fixed menu bar and and the "RRDB / TRS / San Diego-Imperial County RCS NextGen" address. In an archive of the old system page, here, the total line height is only 19.2 px**, 36% less, and lets me display about 19 rows in the same window size.

* Old heights (px): 29.9667 total = 18.1667 text + 2 * 5.1 padding + 2 * 0.8 border + 0 margin
** New heights (px): 19.2 total = 13.6 text + 2 * 2 padding + 2 * 0.8 border + 0 margin

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I suspect that Lindsay is well aware of the differences in the layout all over the db. 2.0 is way different than the original. Not sure of your point; pointing this out isn't going to change anything. Someone else tried to argue something similar earlier in the thread. I would suggest not wasting your time since it likely isn't going to change. The only think that stays the same is that things change.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
To me, visually, it looks like there's a lot of empty space that's unnecessary for a table that has borders. My point in posting about it is that at least some of that extra space usage might be removed by changing the padding. If the designers agree, it might be done easily in as little as one place in CSS. Letting the user customize the font size (even if just small/medium/large) could help, too.

Another cool solution would be allowing a user to have their own custom CSS, as is done in some other platforms like wiki. This allows the user to customize all sorts of things without it necessarily having to be good for the designers or other users.

If not, so be it – not everything is a big deal.

n0fwg

Premium Subscriber
Any progress on showing FCC callsigns for large trunking systems like the MN ARMER?

1663958890389.png