RS 102" CB whip antenna for Shortwave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
I don't have a chain link fence (only wood ones around here)... But I did just run about 50ft of copper speaker wire out my upstairs window and ran it into a tree in my backyard. That is attached via copper alligator clip to the post of a P259 to PAL cable connected to the E1XM.. I am now picking up all kinds of good stuff. I am getting some interference (noise), but am able to get 100x the amount of signals that I was prior. The key really is to just get the dang antenna outside or whatever piece of metal. LOL.

Next up...a way to shield from my receiver to outside... perhaps coax.. or even a piece of that flat coax to go through my window.

Fun stuff...

Last edited:

k9rzz

I've got a chain link fence. So attaching a wire to it will work?

Do the links actually make good contact (electrical contact) between each other though? Don't most chainlink fences have some sort of continous wire threaded along the length (for some reason)? Hook onto that if you can. Of course, as always, try to use what you have available to 'ya. You might be surprised how well something works that 'shouldn't'.

walterb

Premium Subscriber
Do the links actually make good contact (electrical contact) between each other though? Don't most chainlink fences have some sort of continous wire threaded along the length (for some reason)? Hook onto that if you can. Of course, as always, try to use what you have available to 'ya. You might be surprised how well something works that 'shouldn't'.

I believe so. I just assumed it would ground out. I'll give it a shot this weekend. thanks

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
I just made a slight modification to my silly little experiment. I cut the cord from a very old mag mount whip and spliced the speaker wire to it. The P259 connected to a PAL to Female P259 to my E1XM.... Stretched the cable out the window and reran the speaker wire... Basically zigzag'd 15-20ft in a tree. I figured the mag mount cable would have some resistance to the noise I was picking up in my room going straight from E1 to speaker wire.

This seems to have helped significantly. The noise is down quite a bit, but I know I could do better. I need to figure out some grounding and perhaps try stringing the wire differently. I zigzagged mainly because I was trying to hide it and didn't want it strung all the way across my back yard. LOL

Fun fiddling with this stuff. Perhaps I'll replace the Magmount wire with RG6 sometime.

Very silly question...But I'll throw it out there... How well would a tape measure work? Just thinking of a portable antenna idea....connect to the long heavy duty tape measure and just retract when not in use? Am I nuts?

Last edited:

ridgescan

Andrew all I can say is your "fiddling" is what it's all about:) I'm enjoying your discoveries here. Breath of fresh air. I have a ground suggestion that's quick but you have to be careful. Get some insulated wire, connect one end.......read carefully here....TO THE PLATE SCREW on the wall outlet (do not shove it in a terminal!!!) connect the other end to the brade shield of your antenna coax. This should bring down the noise more.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
LOL.. Good deal.. I will try that.. (not in the socket).. ha...

Thank you for your help. I am just having fun with all this.. kinda like a quest...and for once one of my hobbies isn't costing an arm and a leg...(unlike my photography).

Thank you again.

af5rn

...and for once one of my hobbies isn't costing an arm and a leg...(unlike my photography).
Word. Scanning led me into photography, but then when everything went digital, I bailed due to costs. Now the same thing is happening in scanning! A pox on digital!

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
I tried it... It seemed to help a little. I took it off and ran it to the ground on my cable TV splitter. That actually seemed to work even better. To be honest I need to make my connections a bit better. Right now, since experimenting, I am just hanging out my second floor window and twisting wires together.. LOL

Not as dangerous as it sounds... hehe

BTW: Photography got me into scanning not vice versa... I went to shoot some of the test flights over at Lockeed Martin/JRBase and found having a portable scanner invaluable. Luckily, my photog partner just got an endorsement with a large photography vendor...I should be able to get stuff at cost going forward. We'll see... Just happened today.

Thanks for all the tips... I am going to keep playing.. :)

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
In other news, I just replaced that mag wire with RG6 and a brand new P259 to BNC adapter... Sounding better and better...

Probably put a balun on there next...

I probably should start my own thread.. I feel bad about hijacking...

Last edited:

ridgescan

No big about jackin the thread Andrew-I think we talked out the 102"whip:D GLAD to hear you're makin progress there!! That ground should tidy things up for sure!! Know what-kick off a thread on this-you're gonna have more news right:)

Status
Not open for further replies.