Rs 2040

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
AEP is supposedly trunked according to the database for my county(YO for svc),I thought a 2040 can't do trunking since it's old? I can pick up both conversations at times despite annoying noise some of the time(I programmed it into the scanner just to see if I could pick up AEP). If I'm mistaken on this let me know,it's a 854. frequency btw.

scansomd

I assume you are referring to the Radio Shack PRO 2040 scanner (It isn't clear from your post). I am also not sure where or what "AEP" is.

All that aside, you are correct; the PRO 2040 is not capable of follow a trunked system. Therefore, you can not follow a trunked conversation. You can, as you have already discovered, program the trunked frequencies in the scanner and then follow some transmissions in the conventional mode.

To clarify, pick out a conversation (for example from your local PD). Then try to follow every transmission of that conversation. You will find that you have to continually hit 'scan' and even then, you will miss parts of the conversation; and you will wonder if the transmission you are hearing is related to the one you are interested in or not.

AEP is supposedly trunked according to the database for my county(YO for svc),I thought a 2040 can't do trunking since it's old? I can pick up both conversations at times despite annoying noise some of the time(I programmed it into the scanner just to see if I could pick up AEP). If I'm mistaken on this let me know,it's a 854. frequency btw.

n2mdk

I guess your talking about this system http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1871
You might pick up both sides if the frequency doesn't jump or if the scanner is fast enough to catch
the changes in frequency. This is especially true if the system isn't all that busy.
The noise is most likely the control channel which you can lock out of course if it changes periodically then you need to lock out the active one and unlock the inactive one when they change.

Status
Not open for further replies.