RS 232 Port problems on 996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
OK so I run a BCD 996T using the rear port to feed TAGS using PROSCAN 4.2.2 and all is well. So, I program a BCD 996XT the exact same systems and unplug one scanner and plug in the other. (Yes, I set the BAUD rate on the rear port) ProScan works OK then I notice the Computer seems to FREEZE after a talkgroup is displayed. The scanner goes right on scanning and the computer is STUCK.
Thought maybe the computer (being OLDER) was the problem so I put in a NEWER / Faster one and still the same issue. Tried setting different BAUD rates to no avail. Come to find out when I switched to the FRONT port on the 996XT all is well. So can anyone tell me if UNIDEN has a rear port issue on the 996XT that wasn't a problem on the 996T? Really freaked me out to see the computer say it was on one system and the scanner be on something else.

Ed KC9LVX Evansville, In Feed

And yes it was a NULL Modem cable when using the rear port

Last edited:

kilowa22

Check to make sure the com port settings are in 8, N, 1 and change the speed to 115300. You should also check the scanners rear port with another program to see if the same issue is there.

derevs

One thing I didn't see in your message, did you change ProScan from 996T to 996XT?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Change scanners

One thing I didn't see in your message, did you change ProScan from 996T to 996XT?

I knew it, if I left off one little detail somebody would ask about it. YES, I changed proscan from 996T to 996XT. As an update I ran it from the front port for a while and have since gone back to the rear port and it has worked fine for a while now. Odd thing I will have to keep my eyes on it for a while. On another note: in comparing the two scanners, I think the XT version has better reception on some things I scan but worse on some others. What do I scan you ask? EDACS for the CITY, LTR for the next Co over, Ky's P25 system, and let's not forget Indiana's SAFE-T system along with VHF conventional stuff.

BTW: That changing PROSCAN to different scanner was one of my troubleshooting things. I set it back to 996T to see if that would make it work. NOT

KC9LVX using ProScan for Evansville, In feed

Status
Not open for further replies.