rs 668 vs ws 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.

trp2525

Is there any difference in these two other than the name badge.
Why are the prices so different?

Unless you can purchase a Radio Shack PRO-668 for an extremely low price I would go with the Whistler WS1080 over the PRO-668. First off the Whistler WS1080 is supported by Whistler and it "officially" includes DMR reception capability. While it is true that you can now "unofficially" load the Whistler firmware into the PRO-668 to add DMR capability, you are currently stuck at CPU firmware version 3.8 if you go that route. The Whistler WS1080 is currently at CPU firmware version 4.4 which is 6 versions newer and is still currently being supported by Whistler.

Most importantly, in my opinion, is the total lack of factory repair service and repair parts for the PRO-668. The "new" Radio Shack (post-bankruptcy) no longer offers any repair parts or factory repair service for their scanners. Whistler offers factory repair service for their scanners both in- and out-of-warranty. After your 1-year warranty ends Whistler offers a $120 flat-rate scanner repair service which, IMHO, is much better than having to buy a brand-new scanner especially if it is one of the latest phase II/DMR scanners.

If you are considering buying a brand-new PRO-668 directly from Radio Shack and paying the brand-new price, you should consider purchasing a Whistler TRX-1 instead. The PRO-668 normally sells at Radio Shack for $500 (and typically for $375 when it goes on sale for 25% off). The TRX-1 offers DMR capability and NXDN capability, neither of which the PRO-668 "officially" has, and during the recent holiday shopping season Walmart was selling the Whistler TRX-1 for $450. At that price the TRX-1 was $50 less than the normal selling price of the PRO-668 at Radio Shack.

milcom_chaser

Unless you can purchase a Radio Shack PRO-668 for an extremely low price I would go with the Whistler WS1080 over the PRO-668. First off the Whistler WS1080 is supported by Whistler and it "officially" includes DMR reception capability. While it is true that you can now "unofficially" load the Whistler firmware into the PRO-668 to add DMR capability, you are currently stuck at CPU firmware version 3.8 if you go that route. The Whistler WS1080 is currently at CPU firmware version 4.4 which is 6 versions newer and is still currently being supported by Whistler.

Most importantly, in my opinion, is the total lack of factory repair service and repair parts for the PRO-668. The "new" Radio Shack (post-bankruptcy) no longer offers any repair parts or factory repair service for their scanners. Whistler offers factory repair service for their scanners both in- and out-of-warranty. After your 1-year warranty ends Whistler offers a $120 flat-rate scanner repair service which, IMHO, is much better than having to buy a brand-new scanner especially if it is one of the latest phase II/DMR scanners.

If you are considering buying a brand-new PRO-668 directly from Radio Shack and paying the brand-new price, you should consider purchasing a Whistler TRX-1 instead. The PRO-668 normally sells at Radio Shack for $500 (and typically for $375 when it goes on sale for 25% off). The TRX-1 offers DMR capability and NXDN capability, neither of which the PRO-668 "officially" has, and during the recent holiday shopping season Walmart was selling the Whistler TRX-1 for $450. At that price the TRX-1 was $50 less than the normal selling price of the PRO-668 at Radio Shack.

Good explanation

captncarp

668 vs 1080

Well Whistler has dropped the 1080 and I guess replaced it with the 1088 with a key board. The 668 is a real orphan now and should be a bargain as it is in a class by it's self.

trp2525

Well Whistler has dropped the 1080 and I guess replaced it with the 1088 with a key board...

At this point in time I don't think it makes economic sense to consider buying the Whistler WS1088 over the Whistler TRX-1 when you consider the small price difference between them. As an example Zip Scanners currently has the WS1088 for $469.99 and the TRX-1 for $486.45 so that's a price difference of less than $17 (https://www.zipscanners.com/police-scanners.html).

When you consider that the TRX-1 has NXDN receive capability that the WS1088 does not have and that the TRX-1 includes a rubber case (sold separately by Whistler for $30) that is not included with the WS1088, I think picking the TRX-1 is a no-brainer. The $30 rubber case alone that is included with the TRX-1 is enough to tip the economic scale in its favor and make it a better value over the WS1088.

milcom_chaser

At this point in time I don't think it makes economic sense to consider buying the Whistler WS1088 over the Whistler TRX-1 when you consider the small price difference between them. As an example Zip Scanners currently has the WS1088 for $469.99 and the TRX-1 for $486.45 so that's a price difference of less than $17 (https://www.zipscanners.com/police-scanners.html).

When you consider that the TRX-1 has NXDN receive capability that the WS1088 does not have and that the TRX-1 includes a rubber case (sold separately by Whistler for $30) that is not included with the WS1088, I think picking the TRX-1 is a no-brainer. The $30 rubber case alone that is included with the TRX-1 is enough to tip the economic scale in its favor and make it a better value over the WS1088.

Also they added VHF Filtering in the TRX-1, and went thru a component change out that improved receiver performance...

dhardin

Is the rubber case as nice as it looks and nice functional design is?

I am thinking of ordering one for my 1080.

Back on topic, I just picked up a my 1080 used for less than the last 8 or 9 668's going on ebay.
We are talking used now, example being the last month or so used ebay and craigslist 668 have been going as high as $275 to $325. Crazy I know I been next to the top on many of them. Just luck I guess i stumbled across this 1080 that was kind of miss advertized. I got it for $255.

Again a used 668 for $300 average is silly when a new TRX-1 that i can find lately is 460 approximately.
I know the $160 plus dollars stopped falling off my tree several years back, but think it over. If your going to play in scanner land I guess you got to jump in and get wet with the rest of us.

I payed the max on my 1080 (my breaking point) or I was going to pull the trigger on a new TRX-1.
Im sure I will regret it someday maybe sooner than later but that is the price I have to pay. All in all for me quick and easy DNR and availability of CPU firmware upgrades (as trp2525 mentioned) is really my hope to keep my new scanner relevant for several years. At this time there is only one local frequency that use NXDN that i will miss (and I'm not sure it is not voice scrambled) for now but i see that as another $260 to upgrade for now.

Plus the rubber protect should fit the 1080 and not the 688.

Last edited:

trp2525

Is the rubber case as nice as it look and design is?

I am thinking of ordering one for my 1080...

If you are looking for a more-conventional case option for your WS1080 (instead of the $30 rubber case/boot from Whistler) this nylon case with a sewn-in clear plastic screen and keyboard protector is available from Scanner Master for $12.95 (plus shipping) and it also fits the PRO-18, PRO-668, WS1088, TRX-1 and PSR-800: PSR800/PRO18/WS1080 - GRE Nylon Case/Cut Out Back | Scanner Master

trp2525

...Plus the rubber protect should fit the 1080 and not the 688.

Actually the Whistler rubber case/boot (https://whistlergroup.com/collectio...oducts/scanner-case-for-trx-1-and-ws1080-1088) will fit the WS1080, WS1088, TRX-1, PRO-18, PRO-668 and PSR-800 equally as well as all of those scanners share the same exterior case dimensions. I believe Whistler just prefers not to publicly advertise the fact that their case also fits scanners made under other brand names (i.e. Radio Shack).

dhardin

Thanks trp2525, I never thought of that, never checked on dimensions. In my experience even the softet clear screen and keyboard protector over time the oils from your hands and finger will make the plastice become stiff. plus that protector would work well if one used it belt clipped in a outdoor setting when moisture could come itos play.

The new smaller handheld scanner have gotten so small I find them rather tippy. And forget trying to connect a BNC for outside antenna home use and vehicle antenna use. The little radio is like a tethered bobbin at the mercy to it coax line.

I have a plan to make/fabricate a tabletop functional radio clamp type holder that will snugly hold radio upright and secure with or without the new style rubber protector and a outside antenna or duck antenna attached. Prototype made and patent pending started.

Last edited:

dhardin

It is Whislers detection i guess to NOT sell many thousands of rubber protective covers to all the bands it fits going back how many years?. But be so insecure and to only sell/advertise to the 1080 and 1088. and usually the TRX-1 the rubber cover comes with it.

To each there own. This type of decisions are the reason why I got out of marketing many years ago.

trp2525

:wink: I would like a 24 hour (or longer) MLK day 1/2 price sale on this ( https://whistlergroup.com/collectio...oducts/scanner-case-for-trx-1-and-ws1080-1088 ) cover with FREE shipping!! ;)

Whistler has run free-shipping promotions in the past on their scanner accessories which I have personally taken advantage of. You should sign up with your email address at the Whistler homepage (https://whistlergroup.com/) at the bottom right where it says "Sign up for the latest news and special offers!" to get notified of any such future promotions.

trp2525

...I have a plan to make/fabricate a tabletop functional radio clamp type holder that will snugly hold radio upright and secure with or without the new style rubber protector and a outside antenna or duck antenna attached. Prototype made and patent pending started.

If you haven't seen this (available in 3 different sizes for 1, 2 or 3 portable radios) it might accomplish what you are trying to do with your WS1080: Desk Mount for One Portable Scanner | Scanner Master

CycleSycho

Whistler has run free-shipping promotions in the past on their scanner accessories which I have personally taken advantage of. You should sign up with your email address at the Whistler homepage (https://whistlergroup.com/) at the bottom right where it says "Sign up for the latest news and special offers!" to get notified of any such future promotions.

:) Done! Thanks for posting this. Lets hope I get this before midnight EST! LMAO I know, wishful thinking! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.