RS 800 mhz rubber duck vs. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

umlawgrad

I have the RS 800 mhz rubber duck. It *barely* picks up the control channel on the APCO-25 system I want to monitor. I also have a commercial cellular mag mount antenna that does not do much better. Is there any rubber duck antenna that would be even slightly better than the RD?

Would, for example, a Motorola NAF4000B (with the appropriate SMA adaptor) give me better reception than the RS?

I am right on the edge of being able to pick up this trunked system and would appreciate any suggestions,

RISC777

I found Radio Shack's (and i'm not one of their bigger fans) 20-283 works well for me on a P25 TRS. And for $16.99 it wouldn't be a 'costly experiment.'

edit : Yes, I missed "RS"

Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
RISC777 said:
I found Radio Shack's (and i'm not one of their bigger fans) 20-283 works well for me on a P25 TRS. And for $16.99 it wouldn't be a 'costly experiment.'

he says he already has one. is the system 800MHz? how far away is it? I have the RS 800MHz antenna and it's great. you may need more antenna then this type.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
umlawgrad said:
Would, for example, a Motorola NAF4000B (with the appropriate SMA adaptor) give me better reception than the RS?

I have a real Motorola 800 MHz rubber duck dipole antenna, with the proper adapter. In my opinion, it is no better than the Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna. In fact, the Radio Shack 800 antenna seems slightly better. If you're having trouble receiving with the R/S antenna, switching to a Motorola branded one isn't likely to make a difference, IMO.

atwageman

I have a 800 rubber duck I got from Tessco. It's sma type, so no adapters are needed.

Model# EXE-806-SM
Centurion 806-866 Mhz 8"
Reorder# 36817

The antenna works wonders for me. I'm about 25-30 miles from my nearest trunk system. I think I paid something like $15.00 for it, not including shipping.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
umlawgrad said:
I have the RS 800 mhz rubber duck. It *barely* picks up the control channel on the APCO-25 system I want to monitor. I also have a commercial cellular mag mount antenna that does not do much better. Is there any rubber duck antenna that would be even slightly better than the RD?

I am right on the edge of being able to pick up this trunked system and would appreciate any suggestions,

Are you sitting in the house or outside when trying to monitor this system?

umlawgrad

RS rubber duck vs ?

I am in a house. I am able to pick up the system with no problem in my bedroom with the external cellular antenna by a window in a very specific place (move it one inch and the system drops out. I am trying to receive it in my den. As I said, I can sometimes pick up the control channel and very rarely make out some voice.

I just think I need an extra "push." Maybe a preamp will help, but I am hoping there is just a better antenna out there that will pull it in.

The P-25 system is about 25-30 miles north of where I live.

hoser147

I dont think a pre amp will do much for you, sounds as if local rf in your house might be an issue. The Rs 800 is a good antenna thats what I use and im approx 20-25 miles from closest tower and its not an issue. You may want to look at something like Max Systems 8HH it will give you a little bit of gain but wont attenuate or overload your radio. Good Luck .....hoser147

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Umla and all,

Since you're listening in the house just stick with the antenna that works WHERE it works, find the sweet spot and leave it there. Make sense? Portable operation is another matter, you'll have to find your own solution since operating conditions are widely variable and where the duck is concerned, one leg is each the same.

I submit for your consideration a suggestion from The Twilight Zone. I'm using a trunk lip mount 3dB gain cell phone antenna and a 4" square electrical box cover plate as a ground plane mounted outdoors. For now I'm using RG-6U quad shield coax but sooner or later it will be replaced by Belden 9913 air dielectric (best bang for the buck). A mag mount will do as well and being small and inconspicuous surely you can find someplace to put it, again find the sweet spot. Don't worry about grounding it unless you use it for a lightning rod, the window air coditioner isn't a likely target.

I agree with Hoser, a preamp is no substitute for a good antenna and low loss coax, mostly they're more trouble than they're worth.

VintageJon

Well, Here it's just the 1/4 wave ground plane pictured in my avatar. Results vary greatly with location and everything else stated above...

I tend to agree with KB2VXA.

73's,
Jon

gcgrotz

Cellular mag mounts work great for 800. That's what they were designed for.

If you can only pick up the system with the antenna in a sweet spot, then the problem is lack of RF. It will be hard to get portable rx in the house. The best bet would be a small 800 yagi in the sweet spot, aimed at the desired system. And good quality coax, even if it is only a few feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.