R8600 RS-8600 - what am I missing?

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
So I just got RS8600 up and running. When I launch the program it drops me into VFO mode...

with no button to switch back to memory mode (V/M on the actual radio).

Am I missing it somewhere on screen? HELP LOL. This was a waste of $180 if I can't get it to work.

David.

AOR-262

@Napalm

It is working. The RS-R8600 software automatically goes to VFO when you start the software. Whatever frequency/mode etc. you've set or is stored in the VFO will be shown on the RS-R8600 software when you start it. That can't be changed. If you have the CS-R8600 or other programming software, you can export all your stored memory channels and import them to the RS-R8600 software - then use the 'Memory' button to access your memories/channels. There's also a couple of on-screen buttons button called 'Memory' and 'Group' that you can click on to move up/down your memory channels or groups. Nope, you're not missing anything.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
@Napalm

It is working. The RS-R8600 software automatically goes to VFO when you start the software. Whatever frequency/mode etc. you've set or is stored in the VFO will be shown on the RS-R8600 software when you start it. That can't be changed. If you have the CS-R8600 or other programming software, you can export all your stored memory channels and import them to the RS-R8600 software - then use the 'Memory' button to access your memories/channels. There's also a couple of on-screen buttons button called 'Memory' and 'Group' that you can click on to move up/down your memory channels or groups. Nope, you're not missing anything.
Yeah, it doesn't let you access the on board memories. I finally found that hidden in the very last page of the help file, something not mentioned at all in the PDF manual.

Unbelievable.

I have the RT Systems programmer. Hopefully I can export them in such a way to reimport them into the control software... Ya know instead of just using the memories already in the radio.

For how much they charge for this hot garbage software you'd think they would've figured that problem out already. LOL.

AOR-262

@Napalm

I did have RT Systems programming software (WCS-R8600) but I never reinstalled it after I performed a clean installation of Windows (for other reasons). The software was extremely buggy and prone to data loss such as memory channels, some settings of the receiver. I made several videos demonstrating the bugs in the software which were on my YouTube channel. RT asked me to take them down in exchange for a full refund. I guess their sales of that software hit rock bottom with my videos. They did however say they would work on the many issues I found with the software. Whether the bugs were fixed in subsequent updates, I have no idea.

I use the RS-R8600 control software occasionally; mainly for piping the audio to decoders of transmissions such as NAVTEX, HFDL, Marine DCS, ACARS etc. If I'm not doing that, I'm not someone who sits in front of a PC utilizing the SDR side of the receiver. I prefer to be sat in front of the receiver that I can actually physically touch.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
@Napalm

I did have RT Systems programming software (WCS-R8600) but I never reinstalled it after I performed a clean installation of Windows (for other reasons). The software was extremely buggy and prone to data loss such as memory channels, some settings of the receiver. I made several videos demonstrating the bugs in the software which were on my YouTube channel. RT asked me to take them down in exchange for a full refund. I guess their sales of that software hit rock bottom with my videos. They did however say they would work on the many issues I found with the software. Whether the bugs were fixed in subsequent updates, I have no idea.

I use the RS-R8600 control software occasionally; mainly for piping the audio to decoders of transmissions such as NAVTEX, HFDL, Marine DCS, ACARS etc. If I'm not doing that, I'm not someone who sits in front of a PC utilizing the SDR side of the receiver. I prefer to be sat in front of the receiver that I can actually physically touch.
RT Systems programmer for the 8600, in my experience, has been flawless. I'm not paid by them, but I've had no issues.

It's just like working a spreadsheet. Sure it has a learning curve but for me it was intuitive.

I sent them an email to see if it's possible to export into CS-R8600 format. If not I will save a file in that format look at it, and edit the .csv files that RT systems outputs.

I'm sure there's a limitation in the CI-V command set that prevents Icom from using native memories, but SDR-Control appears to be able to scan natively - I don't have an iPad in order to test it though.

AOR-262

@Napalm

You can export data from RT software either as Tab Delimited (.tab) or Comma Separated Value (.csv) which the CS-R8600 and RS-R8600 software will import.

(actually, I think it's only .csv the CS or RS software will import - never tried importing a .tab file. Might work - but .csv definitely works).

RT software is better to use than the official Icom CS-R8600 programming software as it uses modules from Microsoft Excel and if you're familiar with basic use of Excel, you'll find you can do a lot with selections, columns and rows -- too long winded to explain here but like I said if you're familiar with using Excel, you'll find using RT easy.

It's been a few years since I had RT software and pretty sure all those bugs have been fixed; hence you commenting it's use for you has been flawless.

Sounds like you're doing just fine there.

Enjoy!

:D

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, it doesn't let you access the on board memories. I finally found that hidden in the very last page of the help file, something not mentioned at all in the PDF manual.

Unbelievable.

I have the RT Systems programmer. Hopefully I can export them in such a way to reimport them into the control software... Ya know instead of just using the memories already in the radio.

For how much they charge for this hot garbage software you'd think they would've figured that problem out already. LOL.
This is idiotic too and drove me nuts! I do the export/import but have to do it every time I update memories.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
This is idiotic too and drove me nuts! I do the export/import but have to do it every time I update memories.
Can you export directly from RT and then Import into RS8600? I'm having real issues getting it to work right. I'm talking to Will at RT right now about having an "Export to RS8600 format" option - but if you have luck with it then maybe I'm just doing something wrong LOL

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Fake edit: I just spent about 10-15 minutes in Open Office to move the columns around and delete some stuff to get the exported CSV from RT to import into RS8600. Bit of a PITA every time I make frequency changes.

Why do you have to be so difficult, Icom! Your radios are fantastic but the software is always lacking (I'm looking at you, PCR-1000).

AOR-262

I was sent two .csv (Comma Separated Value) files - one from RT Systems WCS-R8600 and the other from the Icom CS-R8600 programming software.

Both files were opened in Microsoft Excel and compared.

Both files were changed by moving columns so that they would be compatible with either programming software and also the Remote Control RS-R8600 software.

As a one-off conversion, it was ok to do, but - time consuming. A Macro could be written to perform the manual task at the click on a single button; but as I don't use RT software and I don't think there's a demand, I wouldn't take the time to write the code for the Macro.

While the format of the exported .csv file was standard, the columns data is specific to each of the software packages.

Unless you're modifying exported data regularly, manual conversion is the only way.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
I would just read it back in CS-R8600 and export then import into R8600. No mucking about with spreadsheets. Assinine process, but i think Icom figured 3 people would use RS8600. Incidentally I have the same issue with RS-BA1 on my IC-7300

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
I would just read it back in CS-R8600 and export then import into R8600. No mucking about with spreadsheets. Assinine process, but i think Icom figured 3 people would use RS8600. Incidentally I have the same issue with RS-BA1 on my IC-7300
I don't have CS-R8600 (unless its free I'll download it).

I got nowhere with RT Systems, which honestly isn't their fault. It's a very niche thing I was asking them for LOL.

As AOR said, it's not often I do big changes to my files, so when I do it won't be too difficult to mirror them.

morfis

I don't have CS-R8600 (unless its free I'll download it).

Is this a different Icom to the company I know?

Never used the R8600 with software...mine tends to spend it's life giving me a decent display whislt the signals are routed to an AR-DV1 or else monitoring company traffic.

as for PCR1000 I suspect the software discs are still in the boxes for all of mine. I suppose it was at least included in the price back then!

Last edited:

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
I use it to import memories between an R8600/ID-52/R30 it's just a matter of manipulating Excel files.

N1FKO

Premium Subscriber
Icom software has the benefit of being well-matched to the radios, e.g. drop-downs are contextual. You aren't going to enter anything the radio can't do, and you aren't going to do anything questionable without a warning.

Third party software tends to be generic. You might get some nice editing features but you'll get Filter1 by default for everything, no matter how inappropriate that may be.

Icom software is unlikely to corrupt your radio's settings, which I have experienced with third party software.

(ex-IT rant: nobody knows how to do data entry anymore. Want to bulk-enter a table of frequencies with type, tab, type, tab, type etc.? Forget it. And things like autofill of previous column? Don't make me laugh!)

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Icom software has the benefit of being well-matched to the radios, e.g. drop-downs are contextual. You aren't going to enter anything the radio can't do, and you aren't going to do anything questionable without a warning.

Third party software tends to be generic. You might get some nice editing features but you'll get Filter1 by default for everything, no matter how inappropriate that may be.

Icom software is unlikely to corrupt your radio's settings, which I have experienced with third party software.

(ex-IT rant: nobody knows how to do data entry anymore. Want to bulk-enter a table of frequencies with type, tab, type, tab, type etc.? Forget it. And things like autofill of previous column? Don't make me laugh!)
RT is pretty good about that. I FW their software especially for the Icom.

I like being able to use RS-8600 over the LAN and eventually I'll port forward the radio to the outside world so I can play with it at work. Or just use Chrome Remote Desktop like I do for my SDR Trunk PCs LOL.