RS antenna ID

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old rs antenna with 3 radials pointing in a downward and 1 pointing up, could some one ID this antenna. Also is this antenna ok for 700mhz or 25-1300mhz.
Thank you and God bless

900mhz

dimensions of the radials?? Sounds almost like some sort of high band ground plane antenna.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
If the antenna is what GTR8000 believes, it was made before 700mhz was a thing. Depending on your needs it might work fine anyway (it was made for 470mhz and below primarily). Assuming you are just listening and not transmitting you can't hurt anything by trying. If I read the LWIN data base correctly, you have a fair shot at hearing the sight in your parish from Winnsboro, even with a suboptimal antenna.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
This is the antenna.
Screenshot_20201001-095731_Gallery.jpg
I bought my first one in 1968 for $5 new at RadioShack. At that time it was the VHF High and UHF, later the 2 short prongs in the shape of a V were added for 800 MHz.

I have always use these as rooftops, this is a backup mounted on a floor lamp. When RatShack went out of business and was having the bankruptcy sales, I bought every single one that I could find.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I bought my first one in 1968 for $5 new at RadioShack. At that time it was the VHF High and UHF, later the 2 short prongs in the shape of a V were added for 800 MHz.

What was the length of the radials before they added the "the "V" ?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Unless what the OP has was modified or is missing parts, I do not think he has a sputnik. I could be wrong, certainly would not be the first time.

He said three downward radials and one pointing up, which would match the sputnik you mentioned before they added the V. But he said all the radials are 13 - 14 inches long.

The sputnik that I have has three downward radials (ground plane) and three pointing up. The three downward (ground plane) and the one pointing up (vhf whip) are 19 inches. The other two pointing up (uhf) (V) are about 4 1/2 inches.

Maybe the op can post a picture or exact measurements?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Unless what the OP has was modified or is missing parts, I do not think he has a sputnik. I could be wrong, certainly would not be the first time.

He said three downward radials and one pointing up, which would match the sputnik you mentioned before they added the V. But he said all the radials are 13 - 14 inches long.

The sputnik that I have has three downward radials (ground plane) and three pointing up. The three downward (ground plane) and the one pointing up (vhf whip) are 19 inches. The other two pointing up (uhf) (V) are about 4 1/2 inches.

Maybe the op can post a picture or exact measurements?
Yep you have the same antenna I have in the picture. I guess there were other ground planes made but over the last 50 years this was the style.

I have got a good question, never really thought about this before and it was just a monitor antenna but do you think it could handle 5 Watts on the 2 meter band set up like on a tripod for field day or another event?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
do you think it could handle 5 Watts on the 2 meter band set up like on a tripod for field day or another event?
I'm no expert but from what I have read, one guy claims he ran 200 watts thru one without issue.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I'm no expert but from what I have read, one guy claims he ran 200 watts thru one without issue.

So your radials are 13 - 14 inches long?
Thank you very much Dave for doing that leg work, I had a feeling, as I say I've been using it for monitoring since the late 60s, it was a great match for the pro 1 slide rule dial VHF HI monitor made by GRE Japan for RadioShack and I thought I had read things about it and I remember that thread. I would only use it with a 5-watt ft-65 and only on 2 m....

That would make a great field antenna mounted on a broom handle and attached to a tripod with 10 ft of RG8M coax. The radials are 18 in long and the prongs are between 4 and 5 in. Thanks again for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.