RS Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgesharpe

I hear there is a BNC portable scanner antenna, from RS that is supposed to "outweigh" all its more expensive competitors. Anybody know about the overall rating for this one?

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
I hear there is a BNC portable scanner antenna, from RS that is supposed to "outweigh" all its more expensive competitors. Anybody know about the overall rating for this one?

I'd guess you're talking about the 800 MHz antenna that Radio Shack sold for years.

I have that antenna, and I can confirm that it does indeed perform better in the 700 to 800 MHz range than the stock antennas that come with most scanners. It doesn't perform particularly well in the VHF-lo or VHF-hi ranges, but that's to be expected for an antenna that's specifically tuned for 800 MHz reception.

I think Remtronix is the name of the company that sells this particular antenna now.

Happy monitoring!

Engine104

Member since 2005
I have the RS version as well. It works great. It does a good job on UHF as well. I've found that it is pretty good on VHF-Hi, though not as good as an antenna tuned for that range.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Thank you. I have that one. I'm looking for the best "all bander" one.

For a handheld? I don't think there is any "good" ones. They're all a compromise.

Possible candidates are:

COMET BNC-W100RX

DIAMOND RH789

These are quite long and have a telescoping section section that needs to be adjusted for each band to obtain the best performance. Be sure to choose the correct connector BNC, SMA. Also be very careful not to put too much stress on the antenna mount of your scanner as these would provide a lot of leverage and possible damage the scanner of you put any force on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.