RS Blowing out Pro96 and 2096

Status
Not open for further replies.

beischel

At the Dayton Hamvention this weekend, RS was blowing out the 96 and 2096 scanners for $369 as clearance merchandise. All their other scanners were sale priced with clearance tags. Either they are getting out of the scanner business or clearing them out for new models. In any case, if you do not care about rebanding (the 96 and 2096 cannot be upgraded to support rebanding per GRE), then at $369, the price is right for an APCO capable scanner.

ScanTheFreqs

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
not much of a deal when you consider the gas it takes to drive 1000 miles. also, not much of a "blowout" when the stores and website maintain the $500 price

Last edited:

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
From what I can tell from my years of going to Dayton, the Radio Shack booth has some special agreement with corporate. They even had the PRO 163 & 164 scanners marked as clearance for $189. Every year they have the current scanners marked down under the price found at the stores. Last year I picked up a PRO 2051 for $50 when they were still $99 in the stores.

Also on a side note, HRO had the PSR 400 for $169, which was the cheapest at the show. I picked one up.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
beischel said:
In any case, if you do not care about rebanding (the 96 and 2096 cannot be upgraded to support rebanding per GRE)

Did I miss something? These radios have been reported to have the capability to support rebanding since pertinent discussion began.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
beischel said:
In any case, if you do not care about rebanding (the 96 and 2096 cannot be upgraded to support rebanding per GRE)
However, the 96 and 2096 can be "rebanded" via Win96 and Extended Tables per this Sticky by Wayne H.

stevecubfan

Premium Subscriber
beischel said:
At the Dayton Hamvention this weekend, RS was blowing out the 96 and 2096 scanners for $369 as clearance merchandise. All their other scanners were sale priced with clearance tags. Either they are getting out of the scanner business or clearing them out for new models. In any case, if you do not care about rebanding (the 96 and 2096 cannot be upgraded to support rebanding per GRE), then at $369, the price is right for an APCO capable scanner.
I reprogrammed all the Edacs and the state digital system here in Colorado by hand into my pro 96 and no problems. get your facts straight.

mreed1232

Premium Subscriber
Radio Shack has a program were corporate stores can get a table at a Hamfest and sell product at a price lower than the price at the store. There is no official price tag so the store probably just used clearance tags because they could make them easier. There is a new digital scanner but the Pro 96 and 2096 are active items.

Mike

A Radio shack Manager

ScanTheFreqs

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
and more importatly, when? i'd be surprised if 2 new digital scanners came out in less then a years time...

BaLa

stevecubfan said:
I reprogrammed all the Edacs and the state digital system here in Colorado by hand into my pro 96 and no problems. get your facts straight.

Apparently your facts aren't straight either..

EDACS wont be affected by rebanding in a scanner. You would just need to reprogram the frequencies in correct LCN.

Wiki Article on Rebanding
Maybe they will sell the remaining 20(96)s. Then sell the new GRE digitals?
Anybody ever hear anything official about that?

Last edited:

DonS

BaLa said:
EDACS wont be affected by rebanding in a scanner. You would just need to reprogram the frequencies in correct LCN.
Project 25 systems (like Colorado's) shouldn't be affected, either, since the "default" channel -> frequency mapping already handles the new 800 MHz frequencies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Eng74 said:
I bet it is the GRE 500 and 600 retaged for RS.

I don't think so... seems GRE and RS had somewhat of a falling out when the PSR's were being developed. Meanwhile Uniden keeps getting FCC acceptance nods for RS badged radios. Therefore, I'm guessing the next RS digital will be a Uniden product. But it's merely a guess of course. :D

-AZ

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
DonS said:
PSR-300/400 vs PRO-164/163 ?

True, I forgot about those. Now that I think about it, maybe an RS badged PSR500 is the "new" digital. If so, my question is why? Why not just sell the PSR's in the store and call it a day instead of spending a bunch of R&D money to reinvent the same wheel? Makes no sense to me, but then again lots of things the Shack does also makes no sense to me.

Thanks for setting me straight there Don. :D

-AZ

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
It is my understanding (in regard to GRE->RS branded) that you will see RS branded PSR-500/600 scanners down the road in a bit. I cannot say or give any more detail than that.

Since the two radios in question are still selling at $499.99, they are not on clearance. And since these two radios have survived the rebanding issue (using Don's software) it is unlikely they will go on clearance until replaced. If I was the RS decision maker, I would be dumping the Pro-97, since it has not survived the rebanding issue, while it is still popular.

DonS

loumaag said:
If I was the RS decision maker, I would be dumping the Pro-97, since it has not survived the rebanding issue, while it is still popular.
And since the PRO-97 and PRO-2055 already have replacements: the PRO-164 and PRO-163. (Those two also don't currently work with rebanded Mot systems, but at least they have the potential for a firmware upgrade to address the problem).

Status
Not open for further replies.