RS Glass Mount antenna..

Status
Not open for further replies.

intrepid97

Is the RS glass mount antenna a decent all around antenna?

I will be monitoring VHF low 42mhz through UHF 400mhz range.

Last edited:

GBFD10

I put one of these in my truck about a month ago... It doesnt work all that well in the 42mhz range, but works well in the 150mhz and 800mhz range... No one is really on UHF around here so, sorry, cant help there..

intrepid97

Thanks for the input,We own a newer model Ford Explorer and do not want any drill holes or coax running through a door or window with a magnet mount,So the options are limited and it looks like a glass mount is going to be the antenna that will be used.

GBFD10

I was in the same boat as far as not wanting to drill any more holes in my truck... The low bad (46mhz) system I am trying to listen to is 1 county over, which explains some of the lack of reception...

I did forget that I pick up MSP Troop B Low band perfectly on it, so maybe its not as bad as I thought...

intrepid97

I will be monitoring ISP (Illinois) on 42mhz,They will be moving to the APCO 25 system by the end of this year,supposedly lol

I just know it will have to work better than the duckie on my pro-97.

emtprt

Premium Subscriber
R/S Glass mount Scanner antenna

According to the R/S website the glaasmount scanner antenna is only recommended for handheld scanners?
I did use one for a short time with a Uniden 760xlt but had poor results on 33mHz.

TeRayCodA

I have the 2m/70cm amatuer model I bought a few years ago at a garage sale,and it seems to have an "edge" over the scanner model that I used to have.
Been pretty happy with it.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

While some swear by glass mount antennas most swear AT them even when the "sweet spot" is found with an SWR meter or antenna analyzer. Basically they're a troublesome lot for a whole plethora of technical reasons and a receive only setup leaves you guessing what they are. If that's your only option you have only one choice, live with them or live without a mobile scanner.

As for the VHF Lo Band reception problem, it's common to ALL mobile antennas not specifically made for that band. That's because it's the "forgotten band", when you try to resonate an antenna on so many bands sumpin's gotta give and that's the longest element. Since a quarter wave is about 70 inches long it's easy to see why and if a shortened "base load" is used it becomes a monoband antenna. There are limits to everything and there you have it in a nut shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.