Rs htx-245

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ref-Jazzy

I am aware that it is a ham radio not a scanner. I have not obtained my ticket yet. But i figured until then i could at least listen to whats on the air with out Tx'ing. I was also trying to listen to weather reports but all i got was static or dead air.

W9NES

If you wish to listen that is fine but in order to transmit you will need to get your Ham Radio License.In Marion County for Severe Weather the repeater would be 146.760 and for Severe Weather outside of Indianapolis where all of the counties talk to Indianapolis Weather would be 146.970.Hope you get your license and hope to talk to you on the air. Best Requards, Tim DeLong W9NES* Always on the 146.700 Repeater.*

Ref-Jazzy

Im aware that I need my Ticket to TX. I have been studying, and plan on taking my test on the 10 in indy. I dont plan on Tx'ing until I am licensed to do so. I got a decent deal on the radio and didnt want to pass it up to wait till i got my ticket.

N9WP

Good luck on passing the test :) ham radio is a great hobby that I'm sure you will enjoy. Any luck on resolving the reception issues you were having? You said you were getting nothing but static.

Ref-Jazzy

Im still at work, so i have yet to try out the Freqs mentioned. When i was Scanning the freqs there would be nothing on a channel or static or dead air, like some one had thier radio keyed but was just tx'ing silence.

Ref-Jazzy

Pointed my radio at the repeate last night and heard a few converstaions. One guy mentioned he had 4 towers in his back yard covered in antennas. That is something i would love to see.

Ref-Jazzy

OK, i have my ticket now, (KC9SJV), I can hear people on the repeater but it doesnt appear as though they can hear me. What am i dong wrong? can any one help this poor newb out?

aaron315

Congrats on getting licensed.

What repeater are you tring to get into? I will speculate that it probabl requires a PL tone (CTCSS) to access, and that you do not have it programmed into the radio. Just a SWAG though.

Send me some info, and we'll work it through until your up and running.

W9NES

If you are trying to get into Any repreater make sure you have the correct offset.Some repeters use tone of (PL) others do not. If you are trying the 146.700 Repeater make sure that your offset is set to(---)Minus offset which would make you receive at 146.700 and transmit and 146.100.We do not have a tone of (PL) on the 146.700 repeater.

Ref-Jazzy

If you are trying to get into Any repreater make sure you have the correct offset.Some repeters use tone of (PL) others do not. If you are trying the 146.700 Repeater make sure that your offset is set to(---)Minus offset which would make you receive at 146.700 and transmit and 146.100.We do not have a tone of (PL) on the 146.700 repeater.

How do i set it to minus? Forgive me dumb questions... I have R1 set to .60 and R2 is set to 5.00. As per this page.

http://support.radioshack.com/support_electronics/doc58/58621.htm

Am I on the right track here?

Ref-Jazzy

Update:

Im pretty sure i figured out how to program the radio. I requested a radio check on the air one day, and a fellow told me i was hitting the repeater but I was really scratchy. That day my reception was scratchy too, so i waited a few days until things seemed more clear, last night, I could hear every one clear as a bell. Between converstation, I keyed up and asked if any one could hear me. No one responded. Does any one have any ideas?

jerk

Update:

I'm pretty sure i figured out how to program the radio. I requested a radio check on the air one day, and a fellow told me i was hitting the repeater but I was really scratchy. That day my reception was scratchy too, so i waited a few days until things seemed more clear, last night, I could hear every one clear as a bell. Between conversations, I keyed up and asked if any one could hear me. No one responded. Does any one have any ideas?

Could be a PL tone problem, but more likely the reason is some Hams are snobs, or won't talk to people they don't know/haven't met etc. Don't take it personally, just keep trying or find a friend that you can test out the radio on a repeater.

On one repeater people will come back to me right away, but in the next County over nada. Just the way it is sometimes.

But double check to make sure you're using the right offset. Do a google search, should be plenty of info on how to program that radio.

usswood

Could be a PL tone problem, but more likely the reason is some Hams are snobs, or won't talk to people they don't know/haven't met etc. Don't take it personally, just keep trying or find a friend that you can test out the radio on a repeater.

not true...we are not snobs and making contacts is the name of the game...obiviously your not one or you would have not made that statment!!!....

Update:

Im pretty sure i figured out how to program the radio. I requested a radio check on the air one day, and a fellow told me i was hitting the repeater but I was really scratchy. That day my reception was scratchy too, so i waited a few days until things seemed more clear, last night, I could hear every one clear as a bell. Between conversation, I keyed up and asked if any one could hear me. No one responded. Does any one have any ideas?

sounds like you have a power issue...although you have enough power to key the repeater...your voice is probably not coming across the machine..when you unkey if you hear the repeater key, it doesn't matter as you might have been tripping the machine holding the PTT...Im not sure how much power your HT is putting out and how far the machine is from your location...but Hts are primarily for outside use....

try this:...take a lone piece of wire (stripped) tie it around the antenna connector and let it hand below your arm and then transmit...it might give you an extra mile or two and that might make all the difference

Fellow Amateur Op...

if you ever come through TH...give a call out on 145.230 no PL needed...someone will come back to you, I promise!!....also try the W9win NETWORK...go to w9win.org and have a look see...also your you key up...give your call and then ask "any station on Freq let me know how this signal is doing"

.7W is not a lot of power to work with

Last edited:

jerk

Like I said, some will come back to me right away, and SOME won't.
I call it snobbery, elitism, just plain being a jerk, whatever...

Don't sugar-coat it, some hams will not talk to anyone they don't know or is not part of their clic. That has been my experience in Southern Indiana and Louisville KY. Actually, it has even been that way when I used to take my radio on road trips, but then I didn't hear any other conversations. My response is specifically to hearing others talking, but no one answers when "you" call.

And Ref-Jazzy needs to know that is a possibility.
And if I was local to him I would set up a contact.
Hint hint for all you wonderful Indy Hams

The above is one of the reasons Ham Radio is dying. IMHO

Last edited:

Ref-Jazzy

Reviving an old thread b/c I am at a loss.

I have been trying to communicate on the 146.7 repeater. People say they can hear a station hit the repeater but they can't understand/ hear me. They also offer up the advice, "you might be off on your frequency"

Radio is set to RX 146.7 and TX 146.1
No RT No TT

A co worker tuned his radio to RX 146.1 and could hear me loud and clear when I was trying to hit the repeater. We also tested Simplex RX/TX and we both could hear each other just fine.

So I know my radio will Tx on a given frequency however when I try to hit the repeater its almost as if the repeater doesnt like me and drops my transmission. I know this is not the case. Can any one provide any insight? As stated above, I am at a loss with this one.

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.