RS manager says scanners will be illegal next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

hibtacer

Stopped by my local Radio Shack, curious to see if they had any digital scanners on hand and the "knowledgeable" manager says they order them for the customer. Then he tosses in, that they will be illegal next year and you have to have a license.

I asked who said that and the manager replied Radio Shack corporate. And about the type of license, he didn't know. Anyone else run into anything like this from RS?

szron

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what a store manager says on this subject.

Also there is nothing to indicate that might be true.

radio smack and scanners

Stopped by my local Radio Shack, curious to see if they had any digital scanners on hand and the "knowledgeable" manager says they order them for the customer. Then he tosses in, that they will be illegal next year and you have to have a license.

I asked who said that and the manager replied Radio Shack corporate. And about the type of license, he didn't know. Anyone else run into anything like this from RS?

Most employees at radio shack have no clue what there even talking about. I bet the manager did not even direct u to radio shack. com to ask. Radios, both scanner and two- way are a big part of radio shack business. But as of late the sales people have experience in this field. Radio shack corporate, has been talking just having scanners on web site only no stores for some time

mikepdx

I was unaware legal prognostication was
in a Radio Shack manager's job description.

He definitely doesn't get paid enough.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I believe there is some "Verbal Morphication" at work - the deal where a joke starts out one way and when it goes full circle, the last version is nothing like the original.

In Minnesota, scanners are illegal in motor vehicles except for some situations, an amateur FCC license being one of them. That's been the law for a number of years.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=299C.37

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
My local radio shack manager occasionally asks me for information and is better with his merchandise knowledge than many RS people.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin

Was he referring to Minnesota laws or just a license in general for the US? Here in Michigan you no longer need a permit.

SCPD

QRT
Most some Radio Shack employees are not very bright when it comes to technical stuff (scanners, radios, etc). They trained on how to sell cell phones and that's it. The sales associates could care less about parts or anything not do with cell phones. You need to know what exactly you want to buy and where it is in the store and buy it without any help. Don't get me wrong as there are a few out there that know something and are willing to help. One of those employees checked various stores to see if any of the Uniden's were in stock and spent several minutes on the phone helping me. I felt bad that the store I contacted that looked for them, did not have any or I would have purchased it from that person. Years ago sales associates would get "spiffs" for selling clearance stuff to get if off the books but don't know if that's the case anymore. They aren't what they they used to be which is sad as I always looked forward to the yearly catalog when it came out.

ps249

Probably talking about mobile scanners in the car. Home use should be no problem.

quarterwave

Before managing the RS he was asking "Do you want fries with that?" You are not exactly dealing with trained experts in their field here....

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Back in the early days of trunk-tracking scanners, I was in the market for a BC245. I had one and needed a second one, and rather than mail-order it, I went to my local Radio Shack. The salesdroid glommed on to me as soon as I walked in the door and wanted to know what I needed, so I told him.

"That won't work here," he assured me. "They're digitalized."

(The local trunking system is a hybrid analog/digital system, with police digital and fire and EMS analog.)

I tried to tell him it'd do what I needed, but he wasn't having any of it. He insisted if I wanted a scanner he'd sell it to me, but in order to "break the digitalization", he'd need to sell me a "PCS phone and interface" (a cell phone and, well, I have no idea what the "interface" would've been) so I could hook them together.

I just walked out and ordered the radio online.

Radio Shack a few years after that sold their Canadian stores which were rebranded "The Source by Circuit City", selling Nexxtech junk and various random crap. The particular store I had that encounter in went out of business about 9 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.