RS Multi-Band Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
I have two of the RS multi-band mag-mount scanner antennas on my truck. Both of them on a 197 work excellent, but at 70+ mph (I.E. running to fire calls, interstate, etc) my antennas like to fall off...Has anyone tried adding any sort of extra magnets to the base to help hold it & still be removable? Or is it possible to switch these antennas to NMO mounts? Just figured I'd ask. :) Thanks in advance!

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Are you able to get better antennas? If not I think your stuck with that problem unless the whip part of the antenna can be taken off,are they held in by removable hex screws? If so you might be able to attach the whip to a NMO coil mount.

N1BHH

You should get Larsen mag mounts or any other of the larger variety. The Radio Shack magnet is not a very good one and the antenna itself is rather stiff. Larsen makes good mag mounts that withstand nigh speed, and the antenna you choose will be fine too. I have one of the NMO-150/450/800 antenna on a mag mount on my van and it's great, doesn't move. I even have an NMO-2/70 which is a 30 inch dual band antenna and it holds up quite well at high speeds too.

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
I have shortened mine (took out the middle section) and it holds slightly better, without much reception loss (I listen to mostly 460 & 800 MHz). I still plan on upgrading pretty soon, I've heard there are better options.

Status
Not open for further replies.