RS Pro-106 battery assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2YQW

Hey,

This is my first post here so hopefully I get it right LOL.

I have a Pro-106. I must say its a nice unit. I do have one problem with it though.

I've been using rechargeable batteries in the radio since I bought it. However, it seems I have to replace the batteries once a month because they stop holding a charge. I've used both Radio-shack rechargeables and Energizer brand NiMH at 2800mAh. Both seem to have problems after a months worth of recharging. I am using the yellow rechargeable battery holder, and a 9V 2000mAh charger. I allow the batteries to discharge at least once a week to try and keep them conditioned, but after a two-three months the charge holds for maybe four hours and the radios dead.

One thing I was thinking of doing was to use a battery pack and maybe solder the pack directly to the power terminals on the radio, along with a jumper from the ground post to the charger post [as the yellow rechargeable holder does].

Does anyone have any recommendations for rechargeable batteries? Perhaps there's a setting that needs to be changed on the scanner that I somehow missed? Any info would be great, Thanks!

jfhtm350

You will find many recommendations to not charge the batteries in the radio due to the damage it can cause to it. There have been several meltdowns with pics here just from using the yellow battery holder. Configuring the black one to do the same just sounds even worse.

You should be charging around 1.5 volts, not 9 volts. A 2000mAh charger should charge a dead battery in 1.4 hours (2800/2000=time) which is a medium charge rate. Try a slower charger and not draining the batteries so far down. The fast charge (30min) chargers seem to shorten battery life in my experience. Im no rechargeable battery expert but I still have rechargeable batteries from 6 or 7 years ago that still work good although I can tell they are not 100% capacity. Also I dont use rechargeable batteries in my scanners since they all have another power source not that I wouldnt recharge them in a battery charger and use them. I do however use them in my flashlights and a couple other things so I dont have to buy batteries all the time.

Billho

I have the 106 but most of my scanning is done with the AC adapter plugged in along with the rechargeable batteries(RS 2500mah) in the yellow holder. I've been doing this for quite some time. The rear of the case gets warm, not hot. The batteries seem to continually be charged, have not run them down on battery as yet. Just FYI

KC2YQW

Jfhtm350 I wasn't planning on modding the black holder lol, Sorry if I made that implication. My plan was to buy a battery pack that would meet the same voltage and mAh as 4 AA's. [Kinda like a cordless phone or small RC car has]. I figure those pack are built to be drained and charged continuously in a deep cycle.

As for the charger mode, I have used both the radios charger and the manufacturers charger [for energizer batteries] Both resulted in battery life dieing off after a few months to the point of only getting 2-3 hours from them [if Im lucky] The manual for the 106 says to use power input of 9VDC at 500 mAh for radio operation and charging.

Billho
While I also use an external power source, I also use the radio while on foot. It may be that I am using DC power input rather than AC. Ill have to look into this.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
It doesn't do much good to discharge the batteries when they aren't getting a proper charge to begin with. The scanners charger is a timed unit, it has no way to detect the charge condition of the batteries, it basically just wings it. This is one reason why many (including myself) recommend a good seperate charger like a Maha. It charges each cell individually like they should be charged and also has a slow/fast charge option and condition feature.

I have a set of 8 batteries that I alternate through the radio, current set has been in use for about 2 years, I don't even have an AC supply for the scanner.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Pro 106 charging

"You should be charging around 1.5 volts, not 9 volts."

Nine volts is the output voltage of the charger into the Pro 106 power jack. It runs the scanner and charges the battery. The charging circuit controls the current and voltage to the battery. External charging is the best best, but get a good external charger and not the one that is fastest or cheapest. The one I use charges each cell individually and can charge from one to eight cells at a time.

N1BHH

Continuously charging batteries while the scanner is turned on will shorten the useful operation and lifetime of the batteries. Charging the batteries out of the scanner will help maintain them in a good state. The only time a power cable should be attached to the radio is if no batteries are in the radio, or for that short period of time when the batteries have 'gone dead' as you drive along and can't reach over to get the other set you should be carrying with you when on the road. I have done this for many years and had no issues with battery failures.

I use a Maha MH-C801 charger utilizing the 'soft charge' feature when charging as it will take only a few hours (2-3) to charge and I have several sets of batteries. I have a mobile power cable but rarely use it, only for that time while driving and I am in traffic and can wait to put s fresh set in. And the problem with wall wart power supplies is they are unregulated and put out more than the specified (or selected) voltage. And you should never have the radio connected to any external power source while unattended as it can lead to unwanted problems, such as exploding batteries, making your investment a total loss.

Billho

rs pro 106 battery assistance.

KC2YQW,NHDAVE< JASPENCE<N1BHH, Gentlemen, with all respect to posts regarding recharging of batteries. I'm sure you feel your ideas are the best suited for your needs. I also have some experience with batteries, to the point I use NiCads or NiMh only. I do not use any of the lithium or lion batteries. Long story which I won't bore you with. My system works for me quite well.
Regards.

jfhtm350

Jfhtm350 I wasn't planning on modding the black holder lol, Sorry if I made that implication. My plan was to buy a battery pack that would meet the same voltage and mAh as 4 AA's. [Kinda like a cordless phone or small RC car has]. I figure those pack are built to be drained and charged continuously in a deep cycle.

As for the charger mode, I have used both the radios charger and the manufacturers charger [for energizer batteries] Both resulted in battery life dieing off after a few months to the point of only getting 2-3 hours from them [if Im lucky] The manual for the 106 says to use power input of 9VDC at 500 mAh for radio operation and charging.

Oh Ok. I didnt undertand what you were talking about the battery pack but now I got ya. The 4 batteries are in series so 4x1.5volts=6volts. You will need a 6 volt battery pack. You bettery check the battery pack to see exactly how many volts are coming out of it before you hook it up if you go that route. A 6volt pack could have 7 volts coming out of it. I think I would just stick with regular or rechargeable batteries.

You stated you were using a 9V 2000mAh charger. If you are talking about the AC adapter that plugs into the scanner then that one will work, but that is not a charger but an adapter and I misunderstood.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Sanyo Eneloop

Hey,

This is my first post here so hopefully I get it right LOL.

I have a Pro-106. I must say its a nice unit. I do have one problem with it though.

I've been using rechargeable batteries in the radio since I bought it. However, it seems I have to replace the batteries once a month because they stop holding a charge. I've used both Radio-shack rechargeables and Energizer brand NiMH at 2800mAh. Both seem to have problems after a months worth of recharging. I am using the yellow rechargeable battery holder, and a 9V 2000mAh charger. I allow the batteries to discharge at least once a week to try and keep them conditioned, but after a two-three months the charge holds for maybe four hours and the radios dead.

One thing I was thinking of doing was to use a battery pack and maybe solder the pack directly to the power terminals on the radio, along with a jumper from the ground post to the charger post [as the yellow rechargeable holder does].

Does anyone have any recommendations for rechargeable batteries? Perhaps there's a setting that needs to be changed on the scanner that I somehow missed? Any info would be great, Thanks!

I've listened & bought recommended batteries from various RR forums; however, there is only one battery I use, Sanyo Eneloop. I never ever charge my batteries inside my radio due to well-documented problems with this method. I own the same radio with a different name on it. I use the yellow battery holder. These batteries will not discharge while sitting unused. I've bought batteries that depleted without ever going into my radio. Amazon.com: Sanyo Eneloop AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargable Batteries with Charger - 4 Pack: Electronics

The charger that comes with this package is great since it tells you when the charge is completed.

On trips, I put my radio in Stealth mode for the light function during the day. I also carry around three or four sets of batteries. I stopped using my power cord as well. At present, my scanner holder blocks my charging port.

Last edited:

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
Do you have software or do you program manually?
With soft ware you can go in and check what the charging time is set to 0 = off 99 = 16 hours with NiMH batteries. You might be set to a low charge time and not fully charging the batteries.
I have 3 PRO 96s 1 PRO 97 and 1 GRE P500, I charge all my batteries in thr radio W/O any problems and have been for many years, just lucky I guess.

If you program manually you can still do it but I don't know how.

QDP2012

Do you have software or do you program manually?
With soft ware you can go in and check what the charging time is set to 0 = off 99 = 16 hours with NiMH batteries....If you program manually you can still do it but I don't know how.

PGM >> GLOB >> Scroll Down to "Charge Time". Use arrows and numbers to adjust value as desired.

Hope this helps,

KC2YQW

Ensnared, KB3ISQ, QDP2012

Thank you for your input. I will look into the Sanyo batteries. The Energizer NiMh pack says they only last around 25 full charge cycles so I am thinking that's my problem. I have never had a battery pack "blow up" in the radio before but that is probably because I was continuously changing out the batteries when they wouldn't hold a charge anymore [Like the 106 manual says to]

As for the charging time, power cord, exc.

I am using a DC power cord [one that plugs into a cars accessory port] The charger supplies 9V DC at 2000mAh to the radio [I have tested the cable to make sure it was still preforming the way it is suppose to be] The charge time is set to "99" so I am guessing its charging for 16 hours as everyone says. Does that mean I am over-charging the batteries, and if so, what would you recommend I change the charging rate to. I have looked around and I cant seem to find a table of what times the numbers translate to. If need be I can switch to an external charger, however the rear battery compartment door seems to pop off easily so its held on with tape at the moment. Internal charging seems it would be easier [or finding a new door lol]

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
The charge time is set to "99" so I am guessing its charging for 16 hours as everyone says. Does that mean I am over-charging the batteries

Therein lies the problem with a timed charging system, there is no way to tell if you're over or under charging the batteries, it depends on their charge level at the time you started charging, it's not at all unlikely that you're doing both at different times.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Bad Experience

Ensnared, KB3ISQ, QDP2012

Thank you for your input. I will look into the Sanyo batteries. The Energizer NiMh pack says they only last around 25 full charge cycles so I am thinking that's my problem. I have never had a battery pack "blow up" in the radio before but that is probably because I was continuously changing out the batteries when they wouldn't hold a charge anymore [Like the 106 manual says to]

As for the charging time, power cord, exc.

I am using a DC power cord [one that plugs into a cars accessory port] The charger supplies 9V DC at 2000mAh to the radio [I have tested the cable to make sure it was still preforming the way it is suppose to be] The charge time is set to "99" so I am guessing its charging for 16 hours as everyone says. Does that mean I am over-charging the batteries, and if so, what would you recommend I change the charging rate to. I have looked around and I cant seem to find a table of what times the numbers translate to. If need be I can switch to an external charger, however the rear battery compartment door seems to pop off easily so its held on with tape at the moment. Internal charging seems it would be easier [or finding a new door lol]

I've used my power cord in the car, but like I said, my current scanner holder blocks the charging port.

But, I would like to share my experience with a charger & set of batteries I bought at Batteries Plus.

Years ago, when my 2008 Versa was still under warranty, I ran one of those 15-minute chargers in my car. In hind sight, I should have recognized the high heat level generated by that device was something to watch, but I didn't.

One day, I smelled that familiar smell when something electrical goes south. I fried the power outlet with that charger. So, I shy away from using those rapid chargers in my vehicle.

Yes, I love Eneloops.

AF5MS

Premium Subscriber
Over the last three years, I have bought Nimh rechargables in the following quantities:

AAA
Duracell 8
Lenmar 4
AmazonBasics 16

AA
Duracell 8
Sanyo Eneloop 4
Sony 12
AmazonBasics 56

I charge them using Sony external chargers.

The only brand that hasn't failed on me is AmazonBasics. They're 2000mah, but hold their stored charge for many months and last longer than others when in use.

The only other AAs still working are 3-Sony and 1-Eneloop.

Billho

I just checked what I have now in my 106 on AC power. Green enercel 2500mah from RS, probably 2 years old. never take them to recharge. The 106 charges them while on AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.