RS Pro 106 battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjgostovich

Greetings. Throwing this out there for consideration. I have a Pro 106 and a GRE PSR-100 that I run simultaneously next to each-other. The 106 is running a digital TRS while the 100 is scanning conventional channels. It seems that the 106 plows through batteries (same brand in both radios) way quicker than the 100? Is it doing that much more work or just alerting quicker to low batteries as they discharge? The radio works great and I buy batteries in bulk so it's not a huge deal, just wondering if others have made the same observation or if it's something I should be concerned about! TIA!

bkantor

Quick question - what additional features do you have enabled on the Pro-106, such as keeping the screen lit, or use of the color LED's? Turning off these features can prolong battery life. Beyond that, not sure since I always use rechargeable s and keep the bells and whistles on all the time (that's part of the fun of the 106!!)

Bob

sphipps

I get about 9-10 hours of run time with my PRO-106 using a cheap set of $5 Harbor Freight NiMH rechargeables.

What really helps is lower the battery alarm parameters in the PRO-106's expert settings. The default battery alarms start about 4.5v... but you should change them to start about 4.0v. Go to the following website that explains what the optimal battery alarm voltages are and you can easily change them in expert settings by using a program like PSREdit500 as long as you have the USB data cable (HIGHLY recommended if you don't have one already). You can also do it via scanner keypad entry, but the software makes it SO much simpler.

Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

Also... turn the backlight off and only use it when you need it. That will add a few hours run time right there.

Last edited:

N1BHH

Highest capacity batteries will last the longest. I use Maha 2700 maH batteries, charged properly in a Maha MH-C801D charger. They last quite a long time. I put in a set last night around 9pm and left the scanner on all night and it was still going this morning when I woke up at 8am. They didn't die until 11am. I have almost 1800 objects programmed in with a flashing LED on many and back light turned on for every object and it keeps on going. I have now got 5 sets of these and they works great.

sjgostovich

Good info. I do run with the LED function on primary channels but do not use the screen backlight a whole lot. I'm seriously considering investing in a set of rechargeable batteries (tax return investment) so we'll see. I'm considering loading fresh batteries in both and letting them run to see who quits first. *TC*

oesjmr

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering almost the exact same thing earlier today...does scanning digital systems use more battery? I can usually get about 10-12 hours of listening time when scanning analog systems, but it seems I get way less than that when scanning digital. No more LED lights or backlighting than when on analog systems. I think I'll try giving those battery settings a tweak as well!

methusaleh

I get about 10-12 hours (90% of which is analog monitoring) with a set of Eneloops or Rayovac Hybrids.

Only about 7-8 hours with RatShack NiMHs...which I only bought when they were on deep discount sale, and would never buy again. I suspect they are from different manufacturers, as my battery analyzer shows their capacities are vastly different, even new out of the package and/or after reconditioning.

divemaster500

Highest capacity batteries will last the longest. I use Maha 2700 maH batteries, charged properly in a Maha MH-C801D charger. They last quite a long time. I put in a set last night around 9pm and left the scanner on all night and it was still going this morning when I woke up at 8am. They didn't die until 11am. I have almost 1800 objects programmed in with a flashing LED on many and back light turned on for every object and it keeps on going. I have now got 5 sets of these and they works great.

I use the exact same batteries and charger, both from Thomas Distributing and get about 12 hours run time on my GRE-800 scanning analog with all the bells and whistles enabled. I have 4 sets of these batteries and rotate them. I can not say enough about these batteries and charger!

N1BHH

Good info. I do run with the LED function on primary channels but do not use the screen backlight a whole lot. I'm seriously considering investing in a set of rechargeable batteries (tax return investment) so we'll see. I'm considering loading fresh batteries in both and letting them run to see who quits first. *TC*

Getting more than one set of batteries is the best advice anyone can give you, they are a good investment. You never know when the power goes out and you'll want to tune into the local power company to hear any progress in restoration of power, or to check up on the weather, etc.

N1BHH

I get about 10-12 hours (90% of which is analog monitoring) with a set of Eneloops or Rayovac Hybrids.

Only about 7-8 hours with RatShack NiMHs...which I only bought when they were on deep discount sale, and would never buy again. I suspect they are from different manufacturers, as my battery analyzer shows their capacities are vastly different, even new out of the package and/or after reconditioning.

Radio Shack Enercell batteries are made by Ray O Vac now, formerly made by Energizer. I had one bad set of Enercell batteries, there was a bad batch, but I jknow someone who has a couple sets of them and they run pretty good.

kc4jgc

I have bought a set of 2150 mAh NiMH batteries from RS. I haven't timed the charge cycle yet but have noticed not getting as much life I had expected. Not that I expected 21 hr runtime. Next time I go to a hamfest I'll look for some Maha batteries. I have a Maha for my Kenwood HT and have been quite pleased with it.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
I have found that the batteries take a really LONG time (12-14 nours) to charge in the Pro-106 radio. For this radio, I charge the batteries in a external 4-6 hour charger while my Pro-164 and Pro-97 will charge internaly in 6 to 8 hours. Yes,I have heard about the possible melt down issue but have never had a problem with the many hand held radios I do and have owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.