RS Pro - 107 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
But, at this time,the only problem I have with the107, is the low "audio level". Considering getting a "refund"!

As I answered in another thread.

As with almost every hand held radio I have used in a vehicle (Scanner, Ham Radio, and Public Service radio) the audio system needs help. I use an amplified speaker for most hand held radios and have used a small speaker mounted above and behind the drivers seat to get the sound closer to my ears.

The typical mobile scanner like the Pro-163 has a 1.5 watt amplifier while the handheld radios like the Pro 164 has a .17 watt (170mw) output and the Pro107 has a .20 watt (200mw) audio output. The Pro-107 has a .28 watt (280 mw) audio circuit.

DonS

Here's what the RS ad says for the RS 107.

"Hear all of the action in your area without the complicated programming of frequencies. The PRO-107 has a built-in SD™ card pre-programmed with the full U.S. database of all known analog public-service trunked systems as well as many conventional frequencies.

RadioShack shouldn't have that bold text on the product description page. Instead, they should've used some text from the online user's guide: The entire USA database from www.radioreference.com is stored on a standard SD card that is included with iSCAN.

That way, someone who already knew that the RR DB for their area was incomplete would know that the scanner's data is going to be similar.

kd4nfs

is there any other software that will program the 107? the cd that came with my scanner wont load. and i cant get rs to sell me just the software. i know that gre700 is the same radio, but i cant find their software to download either...suggestions?
thx.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
No, there is no other software, and most likely will not be any, due to the integration with the Radioreference database and firmware functions. The GRE PSR700 is not currently available, but should use nearly the same included software (on CDROM) when available.

Someone else mentioned CDROM problems and that RadioShack replaced it.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
the cd that came with my scanner wont load. and i cant get rs to sell me just the software.
thx.

The CD is available from RSU parts, When I get to the store on Monday, I will look up the part number and cost and post that information here.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Part number 12480232 for the CD ROM will cost you $12.89 plus shipping and is In Stock

Part number 12481420 for the CD ROM WINDOWS 7 COMPATIBLE will cost you $12.89 plus shipping but is Not In Stock at this time

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
is there any other software that will program the 107? the cd that came with my scanner wont load.

Initially you have to be logged in under an administrator account in Windows in order to install the CD-ROM software that shipped with the radio.

JBuff27

CD Software-RS Pro-107

Part number 12480232 for the CD ROM will cost you $12.89 plus shipping and is In Stock

Part number 12481420 for the CD ROM WINDOWS 7 COMPATIBLE will cost you $12.89 plus shipping but is Not In Stock at this time

No one seems surprised by the fact that that are two different CD's depending on which Windows is in use.

That means when you buy the Radio at RS 1. you have to know this and 2. somehow you you need to ask for the correct CD or you then need to buy anotherone??????

How much room is taken on the CD by one version and why isn't BOTH versions supplied on the CD or two CD's supplied.

Another error by GRE/RS.

JBuff27

kcoleman

Hmmmmm....

This is interesting about the CD's. I've had my 107 a month now and installed the software on an Windows XP machine with no problems. Last week I got a new computer with Windows 7 and the 107 software installed and operates with no problems so far.

I'll check the CD and see what part number is on it and report back my findings.

Best Regards,
Keith

kcoleman

I'll check the CD and see what part number is on it and report back my findings.

As promised, I'm reporting back but with no definitive answer. As my disk was packaged with the radio, it does not have either of the part numbers(that I can find) on the disk. 20-107 is the only number I saw on the label and the sleeve has no markings. The disk label does mention Windows XP, Vista, & 2000, so I would assume it is the first P/No. that KC5EIB mentions.

All this to be of no help..... :(

Keith

dataway

I've had my 107 about a week now. Loving it compared to my old (and still working) Pro-32.

I'll state the obvious...quite disappointed you can't program the SD in place (although I knew this before I bought it). When SD card reader/writers can be had for less than $10 from numerous sources you wouldn't have thought it would have been that complex to incorporate one into the scanner.

Secondly...the programming software is extremely primitive...A couple of weeks and I could have programmed something better myself with access to the file formats they are using. The inability to do simple windows functions like resizing, sorting columns, copy and paste etc. is almost inexcusable. In fact, it looks like it was programmed with ten year old programming tools...heck, I didn't even know it was possible to write a program anymore that didn't have the capability to cut and paste data these days.

This leads to my question. Has anyone found the files on the SD which holds the raw frequency data? I've opened several of them with a hex editor, but still get garbage out of them, as I do using a basic text reader. Since I can't sort columns in the Iscan software I'd like to be able to import the frequencies into MS Excel or similar and sort them there. Or even save the file as a comma delineated file for import into other software. Looks like the files may be encrypted in some way to protect the SD card data from being distributed freely.
My problem is... .when I find a new frequency and I want to see if I already have it programmed somewhere, I have to read the entire frequency list to check each one. Rather than being able to sort the frequencies numerically and just run down the list to the appropriate place.

As I said...so far I love this scanner....but jeez....couldn't they have spent just another week tuning the software? It's literally high-school level or worse product. And having to remove the SD card to program...wow..that's just a crazy lack of thoroughness on the part of the designers.

So why do I love this scanner.... spend a week with a 24 year old Pro-32....which cost $300, 24 years ago....compared to this scanner which cost $230 today....and it's about 100 times more powerful and convenient.

On the plus side...the software did load and run perfectly on my desktop, laptop and netbook...all running XP, and the software, library and firmware all updated flawlessly.
JohnnyB

dataway

Found a way around the inability to copy and paste frequencies into a text file or spread sheet.

I downloaded a program called "Vanasoft Capture Text", I bring up the conventional frequency list in the Iscan software, use this text capture utility to select and save the agency names and frequencies to a text file. You have to do it several times as the Iscan screen will only show so many listings on the screen without scrolling. So I save entries 1-36... then 37 - etc. until I am done. The utility allows you to append these additional screens to the original .txt file.

I can then import the text file into MS Excel as a space deliniated text file, then sort them according to freq. Then if you want you can export to a sorted text file and print out to keep a handy hard copy list of freqs.

I bought a ScanDisk usb SD card reader for the desktop computer. Pricey ($40) but works great and is a name brand. Just plug it in to an open usb port and it maps all the card rearder slots to drive letters, Iscan software has no problem finding them.
JohnnyB

Status
Not open for further replies.