RS Pro - 107 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
WHile I consider myself a "seasoned" scanner user, I like the concept of this scanner, "entry level" or not. I look forward to a digital version.

One thing I do not like, however, and excuse me if this has been discussed already, but when programming the playlist, then scanning, when the scanner stops on a channel for the transmission, there is no alpha numeric name of the agency, etc., in the display.

When you are browsing the RR database, the names are there, but missing during scanning.

Is this be design, or did I miss a radio setting somewhere?

I would be diasppointed if this was by design, and consider it a MAJOR downside to the scanner.

Dan

kcoleman

While I consider myself a "seasoned" scanner user, I like the concept of this scanner, "entry level" or not. I look forward to a digital version.

One thing I do not like, however, and excuse me if this has been discussed already, but when programming the play list, then scanning, when the scanner stops on a channel for the transmission, there is no alpha numeric name of the agency, etc., in the display.

When you are browsing the RR database, the names are there, but missing during scanning.

Is this be design, or did I miss a radio setting somewhere?

Hi Dan,

If you look at the database, the alpha tags seem to be assigned from the "DESCRIPTION" column and not the "ALPHA TAG" column. In my case when I first set up my county (which has 4 towns with Police & Fire, plus Sheriff and Volunteer Fire), when it would stop on one of the police frequencies, I didn't know who it was except for by the frequency number. So to solve that you have to go into the software and create your own tags that make sense to you.

I think it is going to be incumbent on the users to submit changes to the database to better define the alpha tags.

Good Luck & Good Listening,
Keith

Billknn

Premium Subscriber
Display

Did you disable "Simple Display" (which is the default setting) in your "settings" - either on the scanner or via the software?

If you want to see the full data on the object(s) being scanned you need to do this. "Uncheck" the box that says "Simple Display".

Bill K

kcoleman

Bill,
Simple display doesn't effect the display of the alpha tag, but does change what you see in terms of mode and frequency.

Regards,
Keith

wb0wao

It is my understanding that the DB admin's are the ones who create the alpha tag and not the person that submitted the entry. I think that they limit the alpha tag to 12 characters as well IIRC. I do not think that there is any alternative except for you to go in and make the alpha tags what you want them to be. Using the iScan software, this shouldnt take too long.

kcoleman

wb0wao,

You have a point... what I might consider a good "tag" for a channel, you might label it completely and altogether different. So I guess it's best for the admins to keep it simple as possible and let the individual users do their thing.

Best Regards,
Keith

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all for the responses on this matter.

It appears that this is working the same as when you use WIN500 and the RR database to download to the WIN500 software from RR for upload to your PSR-500 or 600.

I do believe certain tags do come through with regard to trunked systems, etc.

Once downloaded I had to go in manually to WIN500 to add the tags. This is what I was hoping to avoid with the Pro-107 system. Oh well.

It is good to know that using the software you can go in and add the tags, but that is not why I, or an entry level hobbyist, would want a 107.

I wanted it for travel purposes and the ease of accessing the database anywhere in the USA, clicking some buttons and you're good to go. In a strange part of the country, minus the tags, I will have NO idea who I am listening to, and I am obviously not going to go in and add tags everywhere I go.

For me, this is a deficiency in this radio, and an area that could possibly be upgraded in the future.

Dan

kcoleman

My apologies...

Dan,

After looking a little more at some of the items that I have imported into my 107... it looks like the items in the database that do have alpha tags, these will be used first, if no alpha tag is present then it uses the description field... at least this is what looks like might be happening. But this still doesn't solve your issue.

But I have to disagree about the "deficiency in this radio". The radio and software are doing the job.... it's a result of the data that is in the database that leaves something to be desired.

Best Regards,
Keith

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Keep in mind it's not a fault of the radio, but the database information itself. As always, the database is only as good as the information in it. GRE did their best to accommodate all database situations, but some systems do lack information. If you find a legitimate problem with a database entry, send it to a database moderator for editing, then in the next Pro-107 database cycle (or the following one depending on the mod workload) it should be fixed. The Pro-107 database has been reported as being updated about every ~7-10 days.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I did not mean the radio was deficient, sorry!

It is an excellent new way to approach scanning.

I meant to say the database was causing the deficiency, but I am always hesitant to criticize anything here on RR as it is such an excellent resource ofr us scanning hobbyists.
I will have to play with the 107 longer, and I have until 2/28 under the SHACK return policy, to determine whether this one is a keeper in it's current incarnation.

Dan

K7CAR

The very reason why I returned my 107 after owning if for 2 weeks. The primary selling point of the 107 is the database and it sorely lacked for my area and state. Too bad, I really liked the radio and the innovative ideas.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
The very reason why I returned my 107 after owning if for 2 weeks. The primary selling point of the 107 is the database and it sorely lacked for my area and state. Too bad, I really liked the radio and the innovative ideas.

I guess I don't understand this statement. Are you saying there was info you knew existed in your area, but wasn't in the RR database and therefore not available in the 107's library?

If so, why not simply submit the info to the DB and in 7 days (provided the submission was worked in a timely manner), the info would have been available for import in the 107's library :confused:

Last edited:

K7CAR

Yes the RR database for my county of Snohomish and the adjacent King are the largest counties in the state and had only a minimal amount of frequencies. The trunked systems are covered, but no marine, aviation, military, little business or DOT,. Few conventional frequencies and little Federal. When I compared it to Intercept and FCC database I saw how deficient it was. I also looked at the surrounding states and saw it was lacking there too.

I have 1237 channels in my BCT15X right now and I would guess that's not even 50% of what's scan able from my location. I haven't even started programming State, Federal or Military. When I returned my 107 the RS employee said they've had several come back for the same reason. Maybe because we are so far out here in the boonies my state was over looked? We do have modern radios and communications go figure!.....:)

DonS

With the PRO-107, you'd just have to do what you currently do with your BCT15X... program the conventional frequencies, trunked systems, and talkgroups via the PC software. Worst case, you have a "head start" with the PRO-107's copy of the RR database.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Yes the RR database for my county of Snohomish and the adjacent King are the largest counties in the state and had only a minimal amount of frequencies. The trunked systems are covered, but no marine, aviation, military, little business or DOT,. Few conventional frequencies and little Federal. When I compared it to Intercept and FCC database I saw how deficient it was. I also looked at the surrounding states and saw it was lacking there too.

I have 1237 channels in my BCT15X right now and I would guess that's not even 50% of what's scan able from my location. I haven't even started programming State, Federal or Military. When I returned my 107 the RS employee said they've had several come back for the same reason. Maybe because we are so far out here in the boonies my state was over looked? We do have modern radios and communications go figure!.....:)

The database is only as good as the people who submit the info. If you know it's severely lacking info, why not help out and submit to the DB? This is the reason it's lacking in the first place, lack of people willing to make it better :cool:

K7CAR

With the PRO-107, you'd just have to do what you currently do with your BCT15X... program the conventional frequencies, trunked systems, and talkgroups via the PC software. Worst case, you have a "head start" with the PRO-107's copy of the RR database.

Here's what the RS ad says for the RS 107.

"Hear all of the action in your area without the complicated programming of frequencies. The PRO-107 has a built-in SD™ card pre-programmed with the full U.S. database of all known analog public-service trunked systems as well as many conventional frequencies. Just select where you are and what you want to scan from pre-installed lists. It's as easy to use as an MP3 player is. Hit play (not SCAN) and you are scanning the local action. It just couldn't be any easier".

* Stores millions of frequencies that can be categorized into 20 playlists
* No programming required to listen to police, fire, aircraft, marine, FRS/GMRS, CB and HAM"

I was under the impression that the primary selling point for the 107 is the data base and directed to an entry level customer. The last line above doesn't come close to my experience. I had software problems also that I won't go into. I have no problem with learning how to program via software/computer., I initially bought the radio because I was frustrated with the convoluted programming and learning curve of the BCT15X and didn't want the hassle. When I saw how little the database held I was very surprised and disappointed. Yes, I could have kept the radio and programmed in over 1,000 frequencies and dozens of systems and made it work. It was advertised that I wouldn't have to do that.

It's a fine scanner and for some one that only cares to listen casually or to limited systems then it serves it's purpose well. I had it up and scanning in under 10 mins, so I hope the other manufactures take notice and incorporate these features.

bee

But, at this time,the only problem I have with the107, is the low "audio level". Considering getting a "refund"!

Last edited:

K7CAR

That's not unique to the 107. My 346xt suffers from the same problem. Bought a Radio Shack audio amp for $15 and problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.