RS Pro-164 and Project 25 Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dondraper40

Old Radio Shack Pro-95 quit working at some point. Just purchased a RS Pro-164, a subscription to this site and used Win97 to import trunked public safety for Fulton County and it worked great! However, attempting to import other counties such as Forsyth, Gwinnett, Dekalb and Cobb and its says Project 25 systems are NOT compatible with the Pro-164. Arg!

Can someone please recommend a Brand and Model (portable preferred) that will still get Fulton County (apparently not yet Project 25) but also receive the Project 25 systems in other counties? Any specific thing I need to shop for that would meet this requirment?

Any assistance or advise would be greatly appreciated. Been listening for years on and off but have not yet had time to catch up on the latest technologies.

Thanks!

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
The only options that would work are:
Handheld----Base model
Radio Shack
Pro-96----------Pro2096
Pro-106--------Pro197
Pro-18

GRECOM
GRE-500------GRE-600
GRE/PSR-800

Uniden
BC296----------BC796
BC396T--------BC996T
BC396XT------BC996XT
HOMEPATROL-1

Hope this helps... Any other questions, just ask.

N8IAA

Thank you very much N0WEF. I will research those scanners and reply with any further questions.

I would not reccommend the Pro-18, it is a RS rebanded PSR-800, without the extra goodies of the 800. The older Pro-96/2096 will not work well on the newer P-25 systems you want to monitor. It will drop more signals on the voice channels and all you'll here is digital crap. I've been using the Pro-106 for over 3 years now and it works great on all the systems you have posted. I do have the base/mobile version-197, the Uniden 396XT and a GRE PSR-800. Don't know how you want to use the scanner, base or mobile. I live in Gwinnett and can assist in helping get which ever scanner you buy up and running.
HTH,
Larry

dondraper40

Larry - Thank you for the helpful advice. I returned the Pro-164 for a Pro-106 this afternoon. I will see how far I can get before coming back with questions. I plan to try Win500 to load it using my RR subscription. I enjoy listening to public safety and strictly for a hobby. I am in Johns Creek so possibly not too far away. Started listening in high-school when scanners used 8 blinking light for the eight, crystal driven channels it could receive. LOL! Thanks again. Will be in touch.

dondraper40

LOL! I just connected the dots after looking at the Win500 app GUI with two trunked systems loaded from RR. Having TSYS and TGRPs as just one big list of objects and being able to put any object in one or more Scan List (similar to a bank conceptually in the Pro-95) provides much more flexibility in choosing what you want to hear. Cool!! I just might like this Pro-106 and Win500 combo very much.

rwier

........ .... being able to put any object in one or more Scan List ....................... provides much more flexibility in choosing what you want to hear. ...........................

It's amazing how many posters (with the same or similar radios, and software) come here and complain thus: "All of my talk groups keep downloading into scanlist 1, what can I do?."

Also, I believe you are the first poster (that I can recall) to use the term "one or more" in this very suitable context (except for myself, of course). You are only on post 7 in 7 years???? You should visit more often, and help straighten things out around here, lol.

Rob

Last edited:

dondraper40

Hey Rob - thanks for that. All I knew was the older "bank,channel,talk group" layouts for trunked systems in the older Pro-95. So looking at the objects list in Win500 had me scratching my head. I could not even figure out how assign objects to a SL but kept clicking around. (forgot to set the target SL during import). Then I saw the column showing how any object could be tied to one or more SL and the light came on. I had read where this new capability gave more flexibility but I had no idea why until then.

Now I need to find time to read the manual. While I know how to disable/enable a SL, I want learn how to do the same with talk-groups or IDs from the unit itself which I thought I read can be done. I am sure I will be back with more questions. Thanks again.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Now I need to find time to read the manual.

Geez, this guy just keeps making more, and more, sense!

Rob was right, You should visit more often, and help straighten things out around here! lol :D

Have a GREAT night! And enjoy the new toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.