RS pro-18 digital Hand Held.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Overstock.com sent me a notification about 3 weeks ago that they had some of these is stock for a very good price. I did not strike when the iron was hot and I missed out. Anyone out there using one of these? From the reviews it has a few quirks. They are digital??? What software is needed to program it.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
Yes they are digital. They will not receive Phase 2 P25 but work well on Phase 1. The software is called iScan and it is free. This is very similar to the GRE PSR 800 but not as advanced. I have had both the 18 & 800 and they work very similarly. The 800 has some more bells and whistles but basically it's the same scanner. I love mine.

Nasby

The PRO-18 is an excellent scanner. It does a great job of tracking my local digital systems.

They take a bit of getting used to as the scanner is controlled like an I-pad. But once you get the hang of it, they are a lot of fun to use.

If you can get one for less than $200.00 its a good deal.

There is a pretty lengthy thread on here about the Overstock sales on these units and opinions of first time user's who could not pass up the deal.

kf7yn

I agree, the Pro-18 is an excellent scanner. I got mine on closeout at Radio Shack for $159. I use mine mostly on the road, it scans what I want to monitor at any given location. I use the included software and update the database regularly. I re-named some of the local TG tags that I know which are somewhat different from the database. It does a good job on digital. The only drawback for some is no Phase-II but that doesn't affect most of us.

DJ11DLN

Very well pleased with mine as well, on just about all levels. Phase II shouldn't affect me for several years so that's not an issue. If you can find one in your price range, and you don't have Phase II to deal with, grab it. My solitary gripe, if you can call it that, is that you need an amplified speaker of some kind if you use it mobile. The internal speaker does a fine job for something so tiny but it often won't overcome road noise, particularly in a pickup, so you need an external speaker of some kind. But the volume level at the headphone jack automatically cuts way back when you plug something in to that, on the theory that they don't want you to accidentally damage your hearing with a set of 'phones or earbuds. But that also lowers it enough that normal road noise will drown it out an external speaker even on max volume. But not a problem, grab a cheap set of amplified computer speakers (most are 12VDC so your vehicle's electrical system can power them), or use something like a Scosche FM micro-transmitter and let your car radio do the amplifying. I do the latter mobile; I also often run the scanner in my workshop with a set of Harmon-Cardon computer speakers on a power supply and it easily overcomes most of the racket I make in there. I'd love to find another one.:D

K1TSL

I was lucky enough to get one via overstock.com. I saved the link to my work pc and checked it through out the day. One afternoon, I clicked in and they said they had one left in stock so I grabbed it.

I've used it for a few months now and can say that I am pleased with it. I live on Cape Cod and most everything out here is not digital yet. However, I do travel to both Rhode Island and the Berkshires frequently where both of the State Police systems are using P25 phase I. It does a pretty good job for the most part. I do tend to notice that some talk groups will start clear and then digitize out on me. I think it might be more of a signal issue than a decoding issue.

The scanner has good audio and seems to be as senstitive as my Uniden BR330T. Admittedly, I find the software useful for updating the database and tweaking scanner functions but I don't find it as easy to navigate or as streamlined as some of the uniden programs I've found. Since the PRO-18 has no numeric key pad, you have to rely on the software to take care of some tasks. I've heard that GRE's software for their PSR-800 model can work with this unit and that it's somewhat of an upgrade compared to the included radio shack software but I have yet to try it.

I get about two days out of the batteries listening to it at a lower volume at my work desk for about 7 hours per day. I bought 2500mah batteries from amazon that undoubtedly help the battery life. If you get one of these, I'd recommend you do the same.

I'm using a Watson telescopic antenna which I leave collapsed for the local 800mhz systems and then extend when listening to maritime or VHF conventionals.

At $79, it was a heck of a steal and I think I paid a few dollars more for the PRO-107 (the non digital version) on EBAY a few months before that.

To be honest, I do keep eye balling the Uniden 436 because of its number key pad and my over all happiness with Uniden products, but the pricetag and the size of the unit are the two big hold backs for me. For the right price, I'd probably not care as much about the size but one of the things I like about to PRO-18 is that it fits nicely into a jacket pocket. It's got a solid build quality too.

I hope this is helpful.

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
I have 2 of them as well as a PSR800. One often 18's is almost always on my hip when I' m out and the other one is mounted in my truck alongside the 800, both running powered speakers all day long while I'm at work. I love them. They work great and are easy to change scan lists while driving.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone for the info. I put my name back on their list to notify if they get some in. My area has some digital and it's phase 1. I have a 197 that works great .

John

scosgt

I have both. The Pro-18 is just about as good in every way.
I don't like the layout of the controls on the 18. I keep hitting the ATT button. The 800 is way better in that regards.
But as a radio it is quite excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.