RS Pro-197 Programming Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_it

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I just got a PRO-197 scanner as an early X-mas present! I was so excited when I got it home last night and started programming it. I am running into 2 problems though, even though I have been able to program a few frequencies on my own. I cannot get any software to interface with my scanner while using the extra PC cable.

- I tried updating my App version to 1.9 from 1.8. I downloaded the utility, turned the scanner on with the program button pushed down and attempted to update it immediately with no luck. I was using COM3 according to my device manager but it just says it can't get CPU info.

- I am trying to also program my scanner using ARC500. I downloaded the version for my scanner, installed it and attempted to download my scanner configuration so I could start programming it. I get a download status that gets to about 25% and just stalls.

Any suggestions for getting my system to work properly with my scanner? I am running windows 7, I am planning to reinstall the software to try to troubleshoot this, but I am not sure what else to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe

Gasman315

Premium Subscriber
If I remember correctly ,you should not be using the the stereo pigtail when connecting

joe_it

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean by "the extra PC cable" ?

My bad. What I meant to say was using the PC cable that I purchased from Radio Shack, and not using the additional mini jack that came with it! The cable just says 20-546 on it as the model number if that means anything.

Joe

joe_it

Premium Subscriber
If you follow the directions for the firmware update it is easy to do. You just double click on the file and follow the on screen directions. Be sure to look at the com port your cable selects when it is plugged intop your computer..

See this thread, too: http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...787-pro-106-197-cpu-1-8-dsp-1-4-released.html

Already saw that thread, read through it and tried everything. I am still not having an luck getting my computer to work with the scanner..

Joe

blangell

Disregard Joe I assume you are using the RS 20-546 cable...Did you try removing the pigtail from the end of the cable
and trying without it, I believe that extra cable is not needed. allready asked and answered

Last edited:

joe_it

Premium Subscriber
Disregard Joe I assume you are using the RS 20-546 cable...Did you try removing the pigtail from the end of the cable
and trying without it, I believe that extra cable is not needed. allready asked and answered

Not using the pigtail... I am making SOME progress with the scanner. I was able to reinstall the ARC500 software and get the software to APPEAR to send some frequencies to the scanner although as of yet I can't find them.. :p I am not able to download my scanner config though which I believe would GREATLY help.

CPU software still won't update either, GGGRRRR...

Joe

w2xq

Mentor
Just a couple of thoughts. If your PRO-197 is new, you shouldn't need any firmware updates. And you might check your COM port(s) again using the Windows Control Panel. I think you'd want to use the USB port (14 on my Vista system) rather than the physical COM 3. And ensure the paths for ARC500 data files are set to directories that do, in fact, exist. Hope this helps.

N1BHH

Just a couple of thoughts. If your PRO-197 is new, you shouldn't need any firmware updates.

Actually this is not true. Most radios which have been "sitting on the shelf" could have been in the warehouse for 6 moths or more. I purchased a Pro-197 last year around this time of year and it required an upgrade. I purchased a second (from someone who had bought one even earlier) which had an even older firmware and it too needed to be upgraded. So just because it's "new", doesn't mean it has the latest firmware.

joe_it

Premium Subscriber
NO....your jack is on the front right under the Volume / ON/OFF / Squelch knob and above the headphone jack.

Tried the front one first and thought i had the wrong hole and I was missing something. I think it's actually the USB cable and will try exchanging it at my local radioshack later today.

Joe

gway17

Actually this is not true. Most radios which have been "sitting on the shelf" could have been in the warehouse for 6 moths or more. I purchased a Pro-197 last year around this time of year and it required an upgrade. I purchased a second (from someone who had bought one even earlier) which had an even older firmware and it too needed to be upgraded. So just because it's "new", doesn't mean it has the latest firmware.

You're absolutely right. I too had to update my 197.

I had a lot of difficulty loading data into my radio and I was following the instructions. Then I was advised by some sharp members to factory reset my radio and re-install my ARC software. It WORKED !
Since then, I've been able to load anything I want and the radio works flawlessly.

w2xq

Mentor
Actually this is not true. Most radios which have been "sitting on the shelf" could have been in the warehouse for 6 moths or more.

Guess I've been lucky over the years. The 106 was 2 months old when I purchased it; other scanners purchased (and now sold) were also new. I'm assuming the manufacturer codes are telling the truth <grin>.

Status
Not open for further replies.