RS PRO 197 way off frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
This type of interferance can also be caused bu the mixing of two or more high power signals, like radio and or TV stations, before entering the radio. at which case, the sum of the two signals, or the differential between the two signals can be the same as the IF frequency.

AD5KO

Thanks everyone for the replies, and yes I took it back to radioshack. I know there are fixes for the problem but I'm not prepared to put up with it to begin with.

The comment about packet radio was spot on. :) The other thing was it's 2m reception sucked even with the antenna set as a quarter wave. There could have been something wrong with my particular scanner.

The other issue was the inability of the software to connect to the online database here. I tried two different types of connection and two different computers and I couldn't get it to work. I haven't got the time to mess with stuff.

Andrew

KE4RWS

Pro-197 / PSR-600 VHF Performance

Thanks everyone for the replies, and yes I took it back to radioshack. I know there are fixes for the problem but I'm not prepared to put up with it to begin with.

The comment about packet radio was spot on. :) The other thing was it's 2m reception sucked even with the antenna set as a quarter wave. There could have been something wrong with my particular scanner.

The other issue was the inability of the software to connect to the online database here. I tried two different types of connection and two different computers and I couldn't get it to work. I haven't got the time to mess with stuff.

Andrew

I think you have to have a premium membership here in order to make use of importing from the database, if that's what you are referring to :(

And I know what you mean regarding the Pro-197's reception on the 2-meter band. I use a fairly decent 2-meter 5/8 wave base antenna and tried to use my PSR-600 to receive some local packet traffic on 145.01, .03, and .05 but it was terrible to say the least when compared to my Kenwood TM-V71a transceiver. I knew the scanner wouldn't be as good as the Kenwood but had no idea it would be quite as poor as it was. Oddly my Uniden 996XT had relatively the same result as the PSR-600 so I knew it wasn't the scanner and I just accepted it as being a sensitivity issue inherent to all extremely wide receivers such as these. But there really isn't much to the inside of a Pro-197. I installed a Record-Out jack on the rear panel (something this model should have had from the factory) and noticed when I disassembled my PSR-600 there isn't much in the way of electronics in this thing. The main board was rather small and was sparsely populated in many places, made possible of course by Surface-Mount Technology. In fact, the bulk of the weight of this model is due primarily to the double metal inner and outer case (which I am very glad for). But I could only imagine the weight (and size) if they still used older thru-hole components! :eek:

Since this was merely something I was simply playing with, it didn't bother me too much that it didn't work for that purpose, as it works reasonably well in that band in general, regardless. Plus my main purpose for the scanner is to monitor two local counties using P25 systems.

AD5KO

>>I think you have to have a premium membership here in order to make use of importing from the database, if that's what you are referring to <<

Software said I got 2 free downloads but couldn't get it to work.

I noticed there wasn't much inside the scanner, LOL. But like you, I also liked the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.