RS PRO-2009 won't tune anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

needairtime

I have a PRO-2009 that stopped working. The analog section seems to be working, at least I hear noise when the squelch is opened up, but the digital section seems stuck.

Since it's stuck, I can't set the frequency, and the display only says a 1. The buttons don't do anything when pressed.

I tried pressing the reset button in the back, which blanks the screen for a millisecond or so and it goes back as if it was never pressed.

Is there some other reset or is this radio pretty much gone now?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have a PRO-2009 that stopped working. The analog section seems to be working, at least I hear noise when the squelch is opened up, but the digital section seems stuck.

Since it's stuck, I can't set the frequency, and the display only says a 1. The buttons don't do anything when pressed.

I tried pressing the reset button in the back, which blanks the screen for a millisecond or so and it goes back as if it was never pressed.

Is there some other reset or is this radio pretty much gone now?

It sounds like a CPU problem. Try pulling the backup battery out of it, disconnecting the power, leaving the power switch on, and let it sit for a few minutes. Then restore to normal, and see if it has started working normally.

needairtime

Yeah it seems like a CPU problem but wondering if anyone knew of any secrets with it, as I don't have the manual and all I've tried to figure out is sans manual - when it was working, I could program it fine, but now it's misbehaving. I don't know if there's anything special about how the battery is used.

Battery is out (it was dead, but now completely out), had power disconnected for a while (few days) and still stuck. The display says channel 1 and MHz " 0."
All other 7-segment displays are blank. Keypad is virtually unresponsive except if I palm all of the buttons or as many as I can, the tens digit of the MHz flickers a "0".

After leaving it on a while, I don't need to palm the buttons to cause the 0 to flicker. Now if I palm all the buttons I can get all the displays to turn off temporarily -- it will come back in a second...

So if someone holds the 1 button down on their scanner and turn it on, they can reproduce this behavior?

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The owner's manual can be found at mods.dk. It is a bit hard to read but should be adequate. The battery is just for memory backup and should work much like it does in a PRO-2006. It might be worth opening up the case and unplugging and re-plugging any connectors you find.

Edit: There is a reset switch on the back panel that may clear the problem. See the manual on page 3.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The slightly different behavior you see after it has been powered on for a while could be an indicator of a bad capacitor somewhere in a power supply stage.
The power supply for that model is entirely inside the chassis so it is possible that's where the problem is.

needairtime

I'd imagine hearing 120 cycle hum if the main filter capacitor dried out, though not sure if the PSRR of the final amplifier would reject it. I guess it's still worth checking, good thing I have an ESR meter...

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I'd imagine hearing 120 cycle hum if the main filter capacitor dried out, though not sure if the PSRR of the final amplifier would reject it. I guess it's still worth checking, good thing I have an ESR meter...
Maybe a dried up cap in a regulated section that supplies +5 for logic circuits or something similar. That's just a guess as who really knows what voltages the internal power supply may generate for different sections of the radio.

Good luck and maybe it will live yet again!

needairtime

I tried disconnecting the keyboard and behavior didn't change - so probably not a stuck key :(

Did a quick ESR check of some of the caps, none are horribly bad (at 120Hz it shouldn't be as critical as 40KHz SMPS).

Will next try scoping the capacitors to see if there are any that aren't behaving like capacitors, but that will be once I can get my scope...

Status
Not open for further replies.