RS Pro-2096 Humming sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Nordland said:
I have a brand new Pro-2096 that has a low humming sound when its powered up.....is this normal?

It's not normal, but happens frequently with the PRO-2096. The problem is the cheap AC adapter. Some induce a 60Hz hum, some don't. I'd take it back, and ask to try others. Worse case, buy a better AC adapter, or 12V Gel-Cel with charger.

You want to see a really pathetic AC adapter, check out the one that comes with the Uniden BCD996T!

Nordland

GreatLakes said:
It's not normal, but happens frequently with the PRO-2096. The problem is the cheap AC adapter. Some induce a 60Hz hum, some don't. I'd take it back, and ask to try others. Worse case, buy a better AC adapter, or 12V Gel-Cel with charger.

You want to see a really pathetic AC adapter, check out the one that comes with the Uniden BCD996T!

Thanks for the info GreatLakes...really appreciate it! :)
I will take it back tomorrow....25 mile drive to Jacktown ain't a cheap ride in my 4X4 Dodge Ram...I wonder if they would let me check the exchange scanner at the store....hate to get all the way home again...and plug it in and here the annoying hum!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Nordland said:
Thanks for the info GreatLakes...really appreciate it! :)
I will take it back tomorrow....25 mile drive to Jacktown ain't a cheap ride in my 4X4 Dodge Ram...I wonder if they would let me check the exchange scanner at the store....hate to get all the way home again...and plug it in and here the annoying hum!

You're welcome! Certainly I would insist they let you check it while your at the store. There is no reason they wouldn't allow that. They're usually very cooperative in that way. If they can't find an AC adapter that comes with the radio, try one of their accessory AC adapters, of the same voltage, and MA rating.

Nordland

GreatLakes said:
You're welcome! Certainly I would insist they let you check it while your at the store. There is no reason they wouldn't allow that. They're usually very cooperative in that way. If they can't find an AC adapter that comes with the radio, try one of their accessory AC adapters, of the same voltage, and MA rating.

Roger that...will do...Thank again! :)

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
GreatLakes said:

The 2096 adapter is bulky. The 996/BCT15 adapter is a great size, light weight, and takes up less real estate on an outlet or power strip, IMO.

Mark01

= If they can't find an AC adapter that comes with the radio, try one of their accessory AC adapters, of the same voltage, and MA rating.
The Radio Shack model 273-1667 12VDC/800mA Regulated AC-to-DC Adapter will work and eliminate the hum.My 2096 had the same problem and this worked fine.The adaptaplug is a T .

Mark

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
DaveIN said:
The 2096 adapter is bulky. The 996/BCT15 adapter is a great size, light weight, and takes up less real estate on an outlet or power strip, IMO.

I think the 2096 adapter is of normal size, and smaller than what Uniden's used to be prior to the BCD996T.

As for the BCD996T adapter being smaller, and light weight, I fully agree. However, Uniden had numerous problems right out of the gate. Failures, overheating, intermittent, and someone actually claimed it caught fire. I don't know if that was ever confirmed or not. Uniden acknowledged and corrected the problem very quickly.

I don't think it even has a transformer inside. Anyone know how it's designed?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
If you can run it off batteries (car or otherwise) this will isolate whether it is the cheap wall wart adapter before you take a ride.

Nordland

I went to radio shack....NO Satisfaction!
Every Pro-2096 scanner they had in stock had that same humming sound.....they suggested a filter part # 15.1111...I said I'll think about it......it seems to me that for $500 you should get a scanner that does not have a annoying hum!
Right now Im not very impressed with RS pro-2096 scanner!

jeffrey420

Nordland said:
I went to radio shack....NO Satisfaction!
Every Pro-2096 scanner they had in stock had that same humming sound.....they suggested a filter part # 15.1111...I said I'll think about it......it seems to me that for $500 you should get a scanner that does not have a annoying hum!
Right now I'm not very impressed with RS pro-2096 scanner!

You could try a small electronics store in your area to find something cheaper. They might have something you can splice in-line. As I said in the PM, I bought a different power supply with filters and voltage regulator. I just happened to have this be an issue when the store closing was going on and, I got it cheap.

You would think they would address this issue considering the cost of the scanner. It used to drive me nuts late at night when listening to mine before I got the other supply.

The Pro-2096 is a good scanner. They were just cheap in the design of the power supply. Maybe the person that tested it for bugs can't hear in the frequency range of the hum.

Good Luck!

Nordland

jeffrey420 said:
You could try a small electronics store in your area to find something cheaper. They might have something you can splice in-line. As I said in the PM, I bought a different power supply with filters and voltage regulator. I just happened to have this be an issue when the store closing was going on and, I got it cheap.

You would think they would address this issue considering the cost of the scanner. It used to drive me nuts late at night when listening to mine before I got the other supply.

The Pro-2096 is a good scanner. They were just cheap in the design of the power supply. Maybe the person that tested it for bugs can't hear in the frequency range of the hum.

Good Luck!

Thanks.
I talked with RS product support.....and they told me to take it back and have them get me a pro-2096 from a different batch?
I put the scanner up to the phone and the tech guy could hear the hum himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.