RS Pro-528 Analog Scanner still good for Detroit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC8flg

Just got this radio as part of a trade/sale.

Will this handheld work for scanning Detroit precincts?

If not, I'd appreciate any suggestions from the forum on what it will take to
start listening to the Detroit cops again.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

freqs

No it wont all Detroit City is on MPSCS Digital .Police Fire DPW all City Sevices are now on MPSCS .
You will need to get a Digital Scanner I have a Radio Shack Pro 106 Handheld I am one mile north of the city and it works well for me for the Detroit MPSCS System .do you live close or with in the city Of Detroit ?

KC8flg

I'm at 11 and Woodward.
I used to listen on a Bearcat 200 XLT (which is now retired) to all the precincts in Detroit without a hitch.
Looks like I'm going to have to spend some money. Any suggestions for under $300 or are all digitals over this price?

Thanks--

freqs

Radio Shack has or just had a sale on the Pro 106 for $249 not sure if it still on sale or you could check E-BAY or Craigslist for a deal on a used one. We have a Clasiified section hear that members sell items . .Now you may not get the Detroit MPSCS Sys real good at all times its a simlucast sys that is meant to keep trasmissions within the City limits it tends to brake up the futher you go out away from the city . Some others here may give you a idea how well it works in that area .I do miss the old days of Detroit being on the old UHF 453.000 MHz they could be heard all the way up in
New Baltimore when I lived up that way in the 80-90's .
The old 200xlt can still be used for a few Police and fire in Oakland Co not all has moved on to OPEN-SKY or digital so I would not retire it yet I am at 9 & Van Dyke and I use 3 to 5 scanners all day long for the Tri County Area from low band up to 800 MHz non digital still in use in Macomb Oakland and Wayne Co's

Last edited:

KC8flg

Thanks for the info.

I just got back from RadioShack.
They want $349 for the Pro-106 but they told me that it won't work within Oakland County because of the new technology.

I appreciate the honesty of the RS employee!

I guess I'm just going to wait before spending any money.

Thanks for the help and happy new year to you and yours

Jeff

freqs

The Pro 106 will work in Oakland Co for the Statewide MPSCS system not Open-SKY.
Most but not all Police and fire in Oakland Co has gone to the Open -Sky system that no Scanner can pick up .Now there is still some cities within Oakland Co that are on analog freqs that your 200xlt will still get Southfield is just one that still is .we have a list in our database that tells you which one are still analog .Like I said I run 5 Scanners that I still get Police and Fire on from Oakland Co.
It might be a good idea to wait do some home work on them befoer you buy a new scanner but all is not lost for you old Scanner Program it with some freqs that are in the database and enjoy till you want to upgrade .If you want ill pm you a list I have that still work around the Metro area on your 200xlt.

KC8flg

I'll probably buy the ARC software and a PC cable for my PRO-528 along with a premium subscription to Radio Ref and load it up with freqs that will work. This should get me started anyway....

Thanks for all of your help!

SCPD

QRT
The Pro 106 will work for most other Metro Detroit counties though including all of Wayne, Macomb, St. Clair, Livingston, Monroe, and Washtenaw. I think its well worth the money.

pjbracing

Premium Subscriber
Many of Oakland County Fire Departments are still broadcasting on thier conventional (analog) frequencies. Tone-outs will be on analog for the forseeable future.

As for a scanner, you might look for a used Uniden 296D. Reliable and relatively inexpensive.

You can also listen to Detroit on-line at Radio Reference Live Audio. And there are apps for smart phones that link to Radio Reference!

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
I do miss the old days of Detroit being on the old UHF 453.000 MHz they could be heard all the way up in
New Baltimore when I lived up that way in the 80-90's .

Me to I used to be able to hear them here at my QTH at night with a scanner beam...

DeAniM8

Need a little help

I just got this Pro-106 as a gift, and I am trying to set it up for wayne county and Garden city..
I am a newb, but how do I set this up to listen to Police for Wayne County and Garden City ?
Please help

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.