RS Pro 83 Sensitivity issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4lne

Anyone notice if the Pro 83 has any issues with sensitivity compared to other portable scanners? Don't need a lecture about intermod and desense, its not a problem in a specific area, its everywhere, even in BFE far away from anything. just yes or no, does anyone else notice a sensitivity issue compared to other portable scanners?

vs1988

The sensitivity with my Pro 83 varied with the antenna. The stock antenna wasn't all that great; I purchased the RS 800 Mhz antenna and that greatly increased the sensitivity both on 800 and UHF. I can't speak for low band or VHF.

Vince

mancow

Database Admin
Mine seems just fine. I modded the PC/IF jack to be a discriminator output and it works fine.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Dan and readers,

I see you're getting antenna issues already, as expected with this kind of forum. Now what does an antenna have to do with receiver sensitivity? (;->) If you think you have a lemon you can satisfy your curiosity by measuring it with a Cushman, Marconi or equivelent Station Monitor, an experienced tech can measure a lot more receiver charicteristics too. My suggestion is to ask fellow hams or a professional 2-Way tech in your area to run it through it's paces and see what comes up.

The bottom line is if you want real answers you have to ask the receiver itself, we can only guess.

CLB

Mine works fine. Mainly because I don't expect it to have the same level of reception as some of my more expensive scanners.

That, and I mainly bought it to listen to tower and ground while I'm at work at KCHS. Just a nice luxury knowing what is coming and going while I'm on the ramp away from the old clunker scanner in the line shack. I refuse to bring the Pro-95's because they're too large for the application and the IC-R3 was way to expensive to expose it to the dangers of a modern flight line. A $50 Pro-83 however, I'll take that risk, and have been overjoyed at it's performance so far.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
kf4lne said:
Anyone notice if the Pro 83 has any issues with sensitivity compared to other portable scanners? Don't need a lecture about intermod and desense, its not a problem in a specific area, its everywhere, even in BFE far away from anything. just yes or no, does anyone else notice a sensitivity issue compared to other portable scanners?
before i lost mine, i thought it was a very hot receiver all the way around for a modern scanner. Even on real antennas such as mobile, base, and flexible whips

Status
Not open for further replies.