RS Pro-96 listening to WISCOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9upc

Having a little trouble with my Pro-96 on listening to the Wiscom system. Now first of all I did have it listening to an 800 MHz 9600 P25 system and it was working fine. Now I threw in a bank all by itself a WISCOM tower with all the freqs listed for that tower. I can hear the control channel and see on the display that I am getting about a 66%-70% copy but I am not seeing a system ID @ pop up on the display. Furthermore, I have the bank in open mode so that I can hear all the traffic and still I am not hearing a thing at all.

Now I know the tower is active as I have heard traffic on one of the talkgroups on an EF Johnson and did an RSSI check and it was coming back to the tower I had programmed into the Pro-96. Has anyone else had an issue with getting a Pro-96 to monitor the system???

Any help would be great!!!

ToDaMax

Premium Subscriber
A 66-70% signal strength is usually not sufficent enough to hear anything, at least not with any of mine. You may be too far away to hear it. I'm curious though that you are using a pro 96 to listen to a P25 9600 system. I've read that those scanners cant follow a 9600 control channel.

Last edited:

n9upc

No the Pro-96 WILL follow 9600 baud control channel trunked radios systems. I have programmed it for the MN ARMER System which is an 800 Mhz 9600 Baud P25 system and it followed it without a problem.

However, for some reason, it will not display a system ID when I sit on the control channel. Usually I can place the scanner in manual mode and when I at least get a 60% or better rx on the control channel I can decode a System ID.

I know that up in NW WI they have been doing some system work and adding towers thus I posed the question here. I was not sure if I needed to load the steps for the system as published in the database on the website here. If so I was not sure how to program for the VHF side as with 800 Mhz I just had to slap the CC in the bank, set it to mode MO (for Motorola) and boom I was good to go...but not so much for VHF so far.

box23

No the Pro-96 WILL follow 9600 baud control channel trunked radios systems. I have programmed it for the MN ARMER System which is an 800 Mhz 9600 Baud P25 system and it followed it without a problem.

However, for some reason, it will not display a system ID when I sit on the control channel. Usually I can place the scanner in manual mode and when I at least get a 60% or better rx on the control channel I can decode a System ID.

I know that up in NW WI they have been doing some system work and adding towers thus I posed the question here. I was not sure if I needed to load the steps for the system as published in the database on the website here. If so I was not sure how to program for the VHF side as with 800 Mhz I just had to slap the CC in the bank, set it to mode MO (for Motorola) and boom I was good to go...but not so much for VHF so far.

Yes, the PRO96 will work on 9600 baud as you know. But I believe for other than 800 MHz systems (VHF/UHF) you need to manually program in the band plan information for the system. This is found towards the top of the page here: Wisconsin Interoperable System for Communications (WISCOM) Trunking System, Statewide, Wisconsin - Scanner Frequencies under the "Misc System Information" heading.

Most of the newer radios only need the control channel as they download that information to properly track the system, where as with the PRO96 it needs to be entered manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.