RS Pro106

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerScan2000

Premium Subscriber
Just revisiting my RS Pro106. This radio basically became a nice paper weight due to the simulcast issues when Pal800 went to P25 and now back to Pal800 (But still P25).

Anyway. I got it back online just to see if it would pic up and decode any better. One of the things I noticed was that the signal strength meter would be strong (5 bars) then weak (0 bars). So I came upon an Idea.

I went into the system frequencies and did a little "redneck engineering". I identified the main control channel (Diesel Engine), then took out the other control channel frequencies. Then I entered in the primary control channel frequency first in the frequency table, then entered in a normal talk frequency.

Now the fun part. Before I entered in the next talk frequency, I entered in the primary control channel frequency. So I basically "sandwiched" the talk freqs between the control freq.

My logic maybe false, but this should allow the radio to hit the control channel quicker each time it comes off of a talk channel.

Actual result. The signal bar is hitting 5 almost all the time. I have it sitting next to my Uniden 436 and it's picking up each time, hit for hit.

Ok, so all you "radio heads" tell me I'm talking out my .............

All I know is that it's working.

TS.

Attachments

• 2019-02-01.png
    2019-02-01.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 18

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I'm not sure I really understand what you did or what you're trying to accomplish. but I'll offer some comments. I use several of the PRO-106 family of scanners every day on Palmetto 800, and fortunately, in my area, simulcast isn't a big problem for me.

In terms of the frequencies you program into a P25 TSYS object, the scanner uses those for one purpose - to find an active control channel. It does NOT use those frequencies to "find" voice channels. It's going to use the multi-site setting you select to determine what process it uses to locate and stay with a control channel. Any frequencies you program into the TSYS object that are not active control channels will be ignored (after being "sampled"). If you think the scanner is "losing" the control channel, removing frequencies that aren't the control channel should help that.

In general, Palmetto 800 sites don't rotate control channels. I'd guess that 29 days out of 30, you can only program the one primary control channel frequency in the TSYS object and it will work just fine. The other day out of 30 might be one where something unusual occurs and the control channel briefly changes to an alternate. And then it will switch back. So again, for testing, removing all frequencies other than the active control channel frequency should help speed up the process of locating the active control channel and staying with it.

The multi-site setting is the key to this issue. I'll assume that you're only trying to monitor a single site, and not multiple sites. Set Multi-site to None, because if you've only programmed a single site, a single control channel frequency, there isn't anything else to choose. So None would be the appropriate choice.

Also, I'll assume you're not scanning any conventional frequencies. Or have a Priority channel set and Priority scan disabled. Both of these will cause the radio to leave the TSYS control channel to monitor those other objects every second or so.

If you do those things, you should see the radio stay on the TSYS control channel all the time.

If you're trying to scan more than one site, then you'll have to decide which multi-site setting you prefer. But either the Roam or Stat selection will cause the scanner to routinely "search" for a new, better active control channel among the frequencies you've programmed in the TSYS object. This will cause the scanner to briefly abandon the current control channel, and the loss of signal you're seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.